Photo

Lehigh & New England Railroad

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#41 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:08 AM

Hello Christian and all LNE fans:

Rod is quite perceptive in surmizing the LNE/CM projects are in jeopardy. My current weekly schedule leaves me very little time to invest into route/object building. Due to a temporary situation at Pioneer, I'm helping to cover an extended absence by one of the team that works the Marble City operation. This is resulting in squeezing in two days a week at Marble City. All of this means that I have basically not had an actual day off in about 1 - 1 1/2 months. Not much route building can be done under such circumstances.

Physically and mentally, I'm holding up fine and can do this on the long term. Unfortunately, it DOES mean that when I do have an evening, I have been chosing to spend it with my wife and family.

This is why I've changed both the LNE and the CM to "Indefinite" status at my VSC website a week or so ago. To do otherwise would be misleading.

I will be away from the computer quite a bit today and most of tonight, if you have further questions, I'll try to answer them when I return.

Andre Ming

#42 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:15 AM

Hi Andre!

Sad to hear that you`re so involved now :-( That you want to be with your family in your rare freetime
I can understand very well because I myself are very involved in my final exams.
I hope you have again time to build on the LNE when your time at Marble City is finished :-)
Until this point just enjoy your rare freetime with your family!

Kind regards from Bavaria, Christian

#43 Gixxer86

Gixxer86

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:46 PM

Andre,I'm glad work is ,well, working out for you.The hours must be murder,but there's a lot of satisfaction at the end of the day.Just don't over extend yourself my friend.And as far as the LNE and CM are concerned,we're here to stay Andre,as is V-scale.I'm sure the LNE will come to fruition.Most likely in a future sim like TMTS or something else.Which would actually be a better thing.I am a bit worried about this forum though.I enjoy this place.I may lurk more than I post but this is a great spot and I hope you keep it alive.Safe railroading Andre!

#44 Gixxer86

Gixxer86

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:51 PM

This question is for Andre and Gaetan.Would you gentlemen consider releasing a payware LNE loco pack incuding all of locos that would have been included with the route?Werner's LV is crying out for this loco pack.And I really want that FA. wink.gif

#45 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:16 PM

I fully understand Andre's dilemma. Working two jobs can eat up very quickly free time with your family. Andre is, after all, first of all a minister and that requires a certain amount of one's time, and at odd hours, and that alone can put a strain on one's family. Now second, he was bit years ago by the incurable railroad bug and so he once again has the chance to spend time with the third love of his life, (I say third because God and Wife are number's one and two), and so something like a hobby, which after all V Scale is, gets shoved way, way down on the list. I can fully understand his dilemma as I face the same thing. I too have two jobs, the first one the same as Andre's, but the second one unfortunately not the same, with mine being an Architect and taking many a long hour while trying to satisfy sometimes very unreasonable clients. I would much, much rather be doing what Andre is. I miss working on the railroad, even though that was many, many years ago.

The only time I get to spend with the Sim is time I steal early in the morning when everyone else is still asleep. In that way I can help reshape favorite routes more to my liking and run trains, and most of all, be a rail fan and take pictures. The Sim helps to bring back memories of my younger days spent riding trains and as a kid fresh out of high school that got to spend the summer firing a steam locomotive in the mid 60's for a tourist road.

So, if, and I feel that this at this point in time is a big IF, Andre is able at some time in the future to complete the L&NE, I believe with all my heart that it will be a true labor of love, love for the hobby, and love for the loyal V Scalers who enjoy what he has be able to produce till this time.

I honestly feel that the best we can do for Andre is wish him the best and hope that he continues to enjoy his new job as much as he hoped he would. Best wishes Andre, from a dear friend!! wink.gif
IPB Image

#46 moose49

moose49

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 03:16 PM

Andre,
enjoy your family MSTS can wait. If possibly you could release the LNE rolling stock I would buy that.

#47 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 03:38 PM

Hi All:

You are all correctly surmizing that my life's routine has changed. This, unfortunately for our mutual MSTS interests, has resulted in a very uncertain future for both the LNE and CM routes. (Any VSC route, actually.)

Further, there may be another change in my life in the near future, even more profound than the last change. It is too early to say for certain, but I may be inverting my current "roles" from being a full time preacher (pastor) and part time railroader to that of full time railroader and part time preacher. If this proves to be the case, then I'll be bucking an extra board for 1-3 years and gone, gone, gone. (Hopefully I'll be "gone, gone, gone" that is. Being gone means you're making trips. Making trips means you're earning income and vesting a good retirement.)

As for the LNE equipment: Actually, Gaetan and I have discussed the likelihood of releasing an LNE pack. There is still more work to be done in the cabview realm as well as other odds/ends, but I'm sure Gaetan will share some input when he sees this thread.

Thanks for all the encouraging words in this thread.

Andre

#48 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 03:40 PM

Andre,

As far as releasing the LNE rolling stock, I am all for that as well. It would be a great addition to any route, especially the LV since it has some LNE trackage on it already. Whatever you decide, we all back you 1000%!!

#49 ChiliLine

ChiliLine

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:32 AM

Andre - I'd been wondering how the "new" job was working out, and it sounds like it's going quite well. It's sorta funny how you (or at least I) keep wishing for different options, but then when you get a few, they seem to come all at once and you end up having to make some difficult decisions. dry.gif Good luck with getting it all worked out. If nothing else, you've always got this crowd to "preach" to (maybe I should say at)! laugh.gif

Andy

#50 Gbel2001

Gbel2001

Engineer

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:49 AM

Yes Guys , a special package of LNE locos is on worktable ( FA, RS1, caboose etc...)

Gaetan
BLW

#51 Gixxer86

Gixxer86

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:26 PM

Thanks Gaetan!And to everyone at VSC,remember,we're not just customers,we're friends.

#52 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:28 AM

"And to everyone at VSC,remember,we're not just customers,we're friends."

I agree! Definitely appears like we all seem to enjoy one another as we chit-chat railroadin' and stuff.

BTW, if this full time railroading comes about, you will be meeting my "better half" here at the forums. Mainly, it's because she sees the need to learn how to produce/ship the VSC items currently available, as well as handle typical email inquiries. This will mean that even though I may be out on an overnight stay, there should be no appreciable delay in the delivery of VSC goods to future purchasers.

Speaking of full time railroading: The only real downside to hiring out on a Class 1 is that I'll have to come in as a Conductor, and that's the way it will be until I have served enough time in order to be moved into engine service. That may likely be a minimum of 2 years service according to the criteria of the line that's looking at me. I like being a conductor, but I think I enjoy running engines/trains more. Patience.

In regards to the current prospect: I'm hoping to have an answer by the end of the month.

Andre

#53 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Jun 7 2005, 07:28 AM)
In regards to the current prospect: I'm hoping to have an answer by the end of the month.

With the current labor shortage, coupled to your qualities, there's no doubt in my mind they'll snap you right up.

But a Class 1 ...? That's some hard living. Well, you know what you're doing, and the Railroad Retirement looks better everytime another politician opens his/her mouth.

#54 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:34 AM

"With the current labor shortage, coupled to your qualities, there's no doubt in my mind they'll snap you right up."

Well, I look good on paper. biggrin.gif Longevity. Healthy lifestyle resulting in good health. No substance use, etc, etc. Of course, the final say is out of my hands.

"But a Class 1 ...? That's some hard living. Well, you know what you're doing..."

Right you are. Long hours. Overnight (or longer) stays, etc. Frankly though, the actual physical "work" will be less than what I'm now doing when working the ground at Marble City for Pioneer. However, the work on a Class 1 will be "never ending", so to speak... that is, day after day. (One recent New Hire has worked 96 consecutive days.)

My wife and I have talked at length about what could be ahead, and we both realize the short term inconvenience of being short handed and bucking an extra board will be worth it over the long haul. Actually, I am hoping they will still be short handed after I'm done training and marked-up for service. Sufficient income is a good thing, right? wink.gif I am also hoping I will marked up before grain season is in full swing. Lots of additional traffic to cover during that time.

"....and the Railroad Retirement looks better everytime another politician opens his/her mouth."

Sad but true.

Andre

#55 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:56 PM

As a local friend who has meet Andre's wife (and the rest of his beautiful family).... his wife is the better LOOKING half. laugh.gif I can say with all honesty that my wife is the reason my two kids are so good looking. Face it Erdna.... we're both a little rough in the looks department. laugh.gif If your talking about hiring out with the local Class I in your city...I know your future boss rather well....great guy. If you do hire out...we wish you the best from my family to yours.

#56 Gixxer86

Gixxer86

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:49 PM

Any news Andre?

#57 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:50 PM

Still "stay in touch each week".

Basically, things are somewhat in a holding pattern until the Trainmaster and powers that be are through with vacation time. (Vacation time does not acrue from year to year: Use it or lose it.)

It could happen within the next few weeks... or not... or never. We shall see.

Andre

#58 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:39 AM

Hi Andre!

Holdays or not holidays... this is a very quesation :-) Hope you get them! Time to relax and to pass with Your family!
Does this means some change for the LNE??? ...going on???
Reading by the time the LNE-book I got via mepstein I don`t `ve given up that it will come some day! -Wunderful Per Argyl Screen smile.gif -
Its a simply wonderful RR. Valleys, Mountains and Rivers!

Best regards from Bavaria,
Christian