Photo

Struggling for a name

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#21 scottb613

scottb613

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 11:05 AM

Hi Tom...

Owen's Valley... Been a while since I have been there - used to go camping up around Bishop way... Also - as I recall - they had a static steam engine on display along the road... I think I have a few pictures buried in an Album somewhere... Can't seem to recall what it was... Ha - my 5.0 Mustang loved those straight aways - though... Oh - and yes - extremely dry...

Regrads,
Scott

#22 mjs2101

mjs2101

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:56 PM

Just a quick little note, if you are speaking of the animal in "Possum Flats and Summitville Railway", you need to add an "O" in front of possum; opossum.

Anyway, sounds like a good name for a railroad!

Mykel

#23 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 01:55 PM

Possum vs Opossum:

Depends on the region. In this Ozark/Ouachita mountain region it is spelled "possum" and pronounced PAH sum. BTW, we also pronounce "creek" as it is spelled and not as "crick".

Givin' you learnin' bout the way we talk 'round here'll help you out on readin' the activity pop ups like they's 'sposed to sound. laugh.gif

Coonskin

#24 LNE 709

LNE 709

Ticket Inspector

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 02:46 PM

Very nice, you have captured the feel of the desert. A reason for your railroad could be based on the idea of the Kansas City, Mexico & Orient Railway. Connect the heartland of America with a Mexican port city and hopefully having better luck then the KCM&O too.

Jack

#25 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 03:04 PM

Rod,

I am afraid that until I receive the A&O Subdivision, I will have no idea as to where Possum Flats could be located. I am afraid that I don't as of this time have the route. While I love steam, my likes fall towards a more modern era, say the early 40's and that has detered me from buying the route. The most I know about the route are from your fine photos.

As for the name, it just had the right feel to it when I suggested it. Yes Andre, it dose sound sort of John Allenish at that.

Now, as for reason for existence. If we place the line in say the Arizona and New Mexico area, there is the mining of copper, coal, sand and gravel, and stone, as well as a few scattered silver mines as well. There is also beef cattle and limited agriculture, as well as some manufacturing. The line could connect with a cross country mainline such as the Southern Pacific running from California to Texas.

Hope that gives you some Ideas.

Paul

#26 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:23 PM

Dear all,

Thanks for all the positive comments and ideas. Really think I should run with PF&S Ry - has a good ring to it.

On the route, I really need to point out that all I have done is;

1. changed the terrtex to a desert like texture.
2. removed the billboard trees, pinetree blocks and tree blocks
3. substituted a different texture for am_pine1, and carried out some reforestation at Tunnel/Summit.

oh yes, and taken some screenshots.

So I have not constructed, rather removed all of Andre's very hard work. Not sure how that rates, but it is more on the negative side than the positive.

Still looks good though.

Rod

Attached Files

#27 boundy

boundy

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:21 PM

Think of the nick names for the PF&S. Pull, fart,& Snort comes to mind.

#28 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:51 PM

Rod,

While these shots are more contemporary than the PF&S, I thought they might give you some reference for foliage and trackside scenery for your project.

Paul

Attached Files

#29 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:52 PM

Attached Files

#30 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:53 PM

Attached Files

#31 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:53 PM

Attached Files

#32 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:55 PM

All of these are desert shots in Arizona & California.

Attached Files

#33 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:56 PM

#6 & last

Attached Files

#34 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:44 AM

Yep, need some cactii on that there route cuz. And a lot of scrub brush as depicted in the first shot by Paul above. The desert is not totally desert unless you are into Death Valley or somewhere near there. Having spent some time in Tucson, AZ, I would say that Paul is also right in the reason for the railroad. Mining! Hauling copper and other ores out of the mines.
Now, while I do like the name, I don't think it would fit where you want to run this railroad. Something more like Armadillo and Western comes to my mind. Armadillos and the desert have a great fit and a town called Armidillo doesn't sound so bad. The A and W (not the root beer) would be nice I think. Also need to change your locomotive power as suggested above to one of oil rather than coal as coal would be hard to get out there. Many western railroads in that time frame were switching over to oil for their power. There are some very nice engines that have this power in the downloads area of Train Sim. Since I have just about everything steam, I will look at some of them and give you some ideas if you want cuz. Anything that the Denver and Rio Grande ran would be appropriate I think.
Anyway, you did a nice job in the transition and like another said. Hard to tell that it is the same route. Just need some more vegetation is all. Those shots by Paul above are great examples of what one might see. There are also some very nice western buildings available in the download area of TS as well.

I like the Armadillo and Western.......but hey, it's your baby! biggrin.gif wink.gif wink.gif

#35 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 09:49 AM

OK boys, the name is still up for grabs. I have, however, started on the vegetation. Here are a few initial shots at Summitville (aka Grandview).

BTW - Paul I just love those photos, especially #2.

Rod

Attached Files

• Attached File  sv_1.jpg   92.11KB   0 downloads

#36 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 09:50 AM

Attached Files

• Attached File  sv_3.jpg   96.05KB   0 downloads

#37 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 09:50 AM

Attached Files

• Attached File  sv_6.jpg   88.49KB   0 downloads

#38 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 04:24 PM

Used Andre's am_grass1 to create a forest object in an attempt at providing a bit more scrub cover. Will probably try some of the cactus available at Trainsim as another forest object.

Overall , the effect isn't too bad.

Attached Files

#39 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 04:26 PM

Attached Files

#40 august1929

august1929