Photo

Time and Place?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 10:03 AM

Can you deduce:

The railroad.

The era.

The location.

biggrin.gif

Andre

Attached Files

• Attached File  pic1.jpg   88.98KB   1 downloads

#2 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 10:10 AM

>>Arkansas and Missouri, DUH it say is on the side there laugh.gif

>>50's

>>don't ask me wink.gif

Thanks,
Jonathan

#3 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 10:16 AM

Andre, I don't know for sure, but I think I recognise that tree next to the road - and the weeds in the foreground. There again, they look mighty like the trees and weeds on the StL & NA, and I've seen a whole lot of them recently

How about the M&A between 1935 & 1946

Rod

#4 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 10:18 AM

Andre,

Meant to say - it looks good. Is it coming our way?

Rod

#5 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 10:28 AM

Before I leave the computer for a while... here's some answers:

> Arkansas and Missouri, DUH it say is on the side there

I had to give you guys an easy one, after all, I hold the trump cards! biggrin.gif (i.e. I know the answers.)

> 50's

Nope!

> don't ask me

Okie doakie, I won't!

Next questions...

> I don't know for sure, but I think I recognise that tree next to the road -
> and the weeds in the foreground.

My creations... so yup... you recognize them!

> ...and I've seen a whole lot of them recently

I'll bet you have! laugh.gif

> How about the M&A between 1935 & 1946

Nope!

Next envelope, please...

> .... Is it coming our way?

Yup! (And not too far off, either.)

biggrin.gif

More later!

Signed,

The Quiz Meister

#6 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:10 AM

huh.gif

Ok early 60's, Frisco involved(I can't spell), and I seen it ain't to far away either, DON'T TEASE laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks and more pics tongue.gif
Jonathan

#7 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:36 AM

He has every right to tease, It's his baby and the papa is in charge!! wink.gif

#8 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 12:16 PM

Yep - and he sure knows how to.

Ah well, more sleepless nights, waiting, waiting........

#9 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 08:08 PM

OK, we already know the railroad

Era?
From the Vee"d windshield & notched corners of the low-nose on the 2d unit, it looks like an Alco Century 420.
Lead unit is an earlier low-nose Alco; maybe a DL-600 or an RS-32?? (Gotta dig out my old Diesel Spotters Guide).
Since the Century series was introduced in the early '60's, I'm gonna guess 1960 - 1963.

Or, maybe later, since the 2d unit appears to have a D&H - ish paint scheme and could be a second-hand D&H unit
which would move the era up to the late 60s?

#10 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 09:11 PM

> OK, we already know the railroad.

Okay, a given: It's obivious the engines belong to the Arkansas & Missouri.

Now, some THINK they know the railroad. biggrin.gif

I will tell you the name of route the above pair of A&M Alco's is workin' on: The A&O Sub.

Era:

Okay, that's a toughie for those of you that aren't REALLY into the A&M... so I'll give you an assist...

The prototype A&M came into being when the BN decided to sell off the Ft. Smith Sub of the former Frisco, which the BN had acquired (i.e. purchased the Frisco) in 1980. The FS Sub ran from Monett, Missouri, down to Ft. Smith, Arkansas.

Thus, the A&M is the current tennant of the former FS Sub from late 1986 until the present.

The A&M started business with only a handful of units painted in their colors. Over the first couple years or so, they all became bergundy. A goodly portion of their C420 roster came from the D&H.

As I was doing research, I noticed an oddity: A&M #410 nee D&H #410 (second unit in the pic). For some unexplained reason, that C420 had notches in the nose. I suspect a wreck, and the nose was replaced with a section from an RS11 from their "boneyard". However, that is only speculation on my part.

Anyway, always wanting to reflect prototype accuracy when possible, I asked Gaetan if we could do an accurate version for A&M 410. Gaetan is a "can do" type of guy... so next thing I know, I received a modified model. The original texture work is also Gaetan's. I did the texture reworking to reflect the hasitily relettered A&M 410!

So now you know the rest of the story. smile.gif

Now, as for details of just what exactly all this has to do with VSC... well... I'll get to that eventually! biggrin.gif

If the above sounds and looks "interesting", then rest assured it's heading your way.

Andre

#11 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 01:55 AM

Sounds like you are putting a lot of logs in the fire Andre, which is good for us but hope you can keep up with them all. Of course the Arkansas and Missouri was a given but I couldn't figure out what that second loco was, I guess I know why now, but I would have guessed the early 1960's as well but that's because of the engines I suppose. Hey, give Gaetan an Alco challenge and he will answer it every time. None better at creating the Alco's than Mr. Belanger. I wasn't aware that line still existed. That's great. Love to see some of these short lines still running, however short they are. wink.gif

#12 BLW_1946

BLW_1946

Commissioner

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:41 AM

here's D&H 410 coupled to 409 in real life. you'd be surprised if I told you when this photo was taken, but I'll leave the fun for Andre...

Attached Files

#13 HHackman1

HHackman1

Ticket Inspector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 07:39 AM

Since there's no ditch lights I'm assuming before the mid 80's (hey just because it's b&W does mean color photo's wern't avilable) rolleyes.gif

#14 BLW_1946

BLW_1946

Commissioner

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(HHackman1 @ Oct 3 2004, 10:39 AM)
Since there's no ditch lights I'm assuming before the mid 80's (hey just because it's b&W does mean color photo's wern't avilable) rolleyes.gif

I used to shoot medium format B&W and 35mm color slides as well. caught 410 again down at lanesboro pa during the belden tunnel reconstruction. i have a slide somewhere...

#15 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:39 AM

Gaetan,

Tim and Andre are talking about you again!!

Paul

#16 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 04:32 PM

By zhivago47:
Love to see some of these short lines still running, however short they are.

The A&M is very alive and well. They are rather aggressive toward new business...out there beating the bushes trying to drum up more every day. One of their new ones is trucking lumber from a sawmill at Mansfield (aprox 20-25 miles south of Ft. Smith) to the yard in Ft. Smith, trans-loading it onto center-beams and hauling it north for interchange to the BNSF at Monett. I don't know where the loads go from there...but the cars move under A&M reporting marks...but aren't the normal A&M cornel red like the rest of the fleet. A&M has had the sand business from day one and are trying to get more...but with the new interstate open between Ft. Smith and Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers...they are now fighting the trucks even harder.

By HHackman1:
Since there's no ditch lights I'm assuming before the mid 80's

I'm no expert on FRA rules and regulations (thank goodness!), but I think the mandate for ditch lights didn't take effect until the mid-'90s. I know the KCS went whole hog trying to get all of their power equipped with them...starting around 1993. I have several slides of A&M power from 1991 that shows 'em without ditch lights. But this day and age all the C420 and the lone RS32 have 'em. The T-6 still roam around the two main yard areas (Ft. Smith & Springdale-Fayetteville) without the extra lights.

And here is my guess on the new route.... late 1980s early 1990s in the transition era of the A&M...on former North Arkansas trackage. Do I get a prize?? unsure.gif huh.gif

#17 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:53 PM

Yup that dur' be right outside Luxora there on tha' River Sub, wish ole Coonskin would >>>Build<<< it through there, yup I heard that ole' coal train that runs though got underpowered, they put two RS-3s and a GP-9 on that big ole train' ain't that a shame, Frisco outta know better since there is that ole grade outta Luxora.

I love doin that, I can go on and on tongue.gif

Thanks,
JT

#18 BLW_1946

BLW_1946

Commissioner

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 05:47 AM

I checked one of my references last night, (Guilford - Five Years of Change by Scott Hartley) and the nose for 410 was taken from a wrecked N&W alco. Guilford renumbered D&H 406-409 to 416-419, as they had MEC U18Bs numbered 400-409. they also renumbered D&H 401 (ex-L&HR) to 420 and 404,405 tp 421, 422. all were sold to the A&M in 1987...

here's a close encounter with D&H 401:

http://www.railroadf...&cat=500&page=3

#19 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 07:34 AM

Andre,

Speaking of time and place. How about this one?

Attached Files

#20 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 07:37 AM

But going back in time, there was a track gang I remember back on the North Arkansas that just had to stop and pose for a picture.

I believe they had been busy laying some new track for Andre's A&O Subdivision to allow for more traffic or something like that.

Attached Files