Photo

Another Suprise First Look!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#21 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:28 AM

"work in progress"...

That's a developers way to hedge bets! Allows room for edits!

laugh.gif

Seriously:

* The FA is awaiting the cabview.

* Eng file tweaks to bring the brakes in line with Alco brake valve convention will need to be implemented, but I haven't bothered Gaetan with that aspect as yet. He's a busy boy. All in good time.

Andre

#22 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:00 AM

Whatever way you look at it, the LNE is fixing to be one of the most absorbing add-ons for MSTS ever.

I have bought quite a few over the years - most have been consigned to the cd library (and sometimes still get an outing, when I have forgotten how average they are). very few have stayed on my hard drive - Cajon, Canton, even little Sweethaven but most definitely StL&NA. I would be real surprised if LNE is not a permanent feature too.

In the end what makes a route live is detail - authentic scenes and images that you might hardly notice in real life, but which populate everything we see. Without realising it your mind is tricked into accepting what you see without question. Even long haul routes can be convincing (like Cajon), but so many just seem to concentrate on the track, with little thought to what makes a railroad live.

Well, with Andre's route, and Gaetan's stock, we are in for a winner!

#23 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:12 PM

I understand the problem Gaetan, and wasn't suggesting you do anything different with the stuff you are doing at all. Just wanted to remind you that the time frame that Andre is going for is about six years after the LNE was launched, which isn't a long time for an engine, especially as picky as the LNE was, to get real worn or rusty. Dirty, of course, but they did keep them fairly clean. I know it is tough finding good color shots but I am just going from memory seeing them as a kid and then seeing some pictures in color somewhere, I am not sure where now, unfortunately.

But look, you do them as you see fit Gaetan. I was actually just teasing you to begin with. Everyone here knows I hate dirty or worn looking engines and always clean any up that I get that aren't, including yours, sorry, but it is just a thing with me. No, not prototypical, I know, but I just have this thing about running nice clean engines on my routes. So, don't worry about my comments. I was teasing only. The work you have done for the route thus far is outstanding looking, and yes, I agree, that is one nice looking cabeese. When I clean it up, it will be beautiful! tongue.gif

Anyway, don't pay attention to me Gaetan, just teasing is all and trying to get a reaction from Andre. But of course he is ignoring me! Smart on his part too. Right, Andre?

Tres magnifique, Gaetan, est tres belle. wink.gif

#24 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:24 PM

Nah... ain't ignorin' 'ya. In fact, I was glad to see that "Zhivago47" had chimed-in again on the thread. So, not ignoring... just been workin' on the Pen Argyl turntable and stuff tonight. Major pain, I'll tell you. However, I shall prevail.

This much I know already: Pen Argyl Yard is going to be a fat tile if there ever was one. Not only in object density, but texture load.

Just no way around it. I will likely have to really scrimp on scenic "background filler" in order to invest the resources in the stuff that matters. Once I leave the Pen Argyl tiles, I can increase the "background filler" again. Just going to have to really be careful in the yard scenes.

Ah... my kingdom for an sim venue with unlimited resource use!!

Andre

#25 Gixxer86

Gixxer86

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:30 PM

The overall short length of the route should help in that department though,right?Or do I have this all wrong.Either way,my system can handle it.

#26 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:34 PM

I'm not sure about overall route tile count impacting FPS, but it would seem possible. I have other routes that are large in tiles, short on objects... yet get slow FPS. I somewhat attribute that to the overall size of the route.

Fret not though, I'm building the LNE on a dinosaur machine: 1.3 Ghz Celeron, 256m RAM, 64m GeForce MX vid card. Not the hottest of screamers.

As it sits, in the sim I get mid-teens at Pen Argyl when the train/cam is in/pointed toward the heaviest portions.

I know, I know... get that new machine I've been aiming to buy. I will... "one of these days". smile.gif

The basic shapes needed for the turntable is finished, and partially textured. Started on the huge roundhouse now. May have to edit the turntable, so decided to hold off on texturing until I'm satisfied that the elements fit together okay. In fact, I seem to be doing this with all the structures at the Pen Argyl Yard... waiting to texture until after I'm SURE I like the shapes/positions.

Later!

Andre

#27 saddletank

saddletank

Station Clerk

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:04 AM

Gaetan, that is some of the finest texturing I have ever seen in MSTS, just wonderful. Railroads are dirty places, using heavy engineering and units are almost never clean. I have been quietly canvassing for 3 years over on UKTS to get more people to have a try at painting dirty rolling stock but people mostly either don't have the skills or just prefer their trains clean.

I love trains looking worn, old, weatherbeaten and just plain filthy.

This is marvellous, quality work. Please keep it up!

#28 Gbel2001

Gbel2001

Engineer

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 10:13 AM

Thanks Saddletank and all guys

Gaetan

#29 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 03:57 AM

Yes, Martin, what you say is true on many lines but not on all of them. If you have a line that is only six years old and as picky as the LNE was about their appearance then having them that way would not be prototypical. If you ever saw the early Santa Fe's they were extremely clean, and kept that way. Most of the CSX units I have seen here are pretty clean to, so it depends upon the railroad. Now, of course that does not include the rolling stock which is absolutely horrendous looking and filthy on just about all lines, except some of the tank cars, which are for some reason kept fairly clean, except for the NS ones which are totally rusty and very dirty. So I think it depends upon the railroad.
But you can run whatever you like on your computer, and I can do the same on mine, n'est ce pas? To each his own. rolleyes.gif wink.gif

#30 saddletank

saddletank

Station Clerk

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 08:49 AM

True Tim, there were (and are) always exceptions, particularly when units are new or the company has a prestigious service that must be immaculately presented to the passenger, or if a railroad makes efforts to put it's stock through teh washers ona regular basis.

But clean engines and stock are very much a minority to dirty ones I fell.

#31 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 01:10 AM

But clean engines and stock are very much a minority to dirty ones I fell

You are absolutely correct Martin. They are, except on my machine, in which case they are always 100 percent clean! I like to see what I am running and read the logos plainly and clearly and I can't do it if they are dirty. But like I said before, it is just me. No reflection on what you like to run or anyone else or any reflection on any of the fine builders we have, including Gaetan, who is just about the best, especially with Alco engines. That said, I still clean them up because I like them that way on my machine. It is my game to do with as I please, is it not? As it is yours or anyone else's. Besides, most of the builders know me by now and some will even build or should I say paint a clean version just for me, so I absolutely agree with you Martin, and was just teasing Gaetan, as I think he knows I was and how I like to run my own stuff. So, what I said was in jest and I hope everyone understands that. I think Gaetan Belanger is one of the top model builders out there. And I have always said that of his work.

But in the end, you are absolutely correct Martin, but then these railroads didn't have me for a President either. Had they, they would have taken better care of their engines to include the dirt and paint. It is, I feel, a reflection on the railroad itself, the condition of their equipment. This is why certain railroads faired better than others, in my opinion.

Anyway, way off the subject now. This is just a personal thing with me and most people know that so I will just drop the subject and say again, you are absolutely correct Martin.

#32 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 07:18 AM

Clean or dirty, Tim likes the locomotive just after it came out of the wash bay and Gaetan's are after a hard day's work, just before going in for service and a well deserved bath. Either way, the modeling is excellent and Andre's new route will be one well worth every penny it costs. All the screen shots so far show that everyone involved has put an extra ordinary amount of effort into making this route a bench mark of what is possible!! wink.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif rolleyes.gif

Paul

#33 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:54 PM

I couldn't agree with you more Paul. Very well said. Andre is creating a route that I have been looking to run for a very long time and Gaetan is supplying the motive power. Can't have a better team than that, in my estimation. I am so looking forward to it's first part release. As I am any release by VSC!! wink.gif

#34 Gixxer86

Gixxer86

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 03:28 AM

We used buckets and push brooms to wash our locos on the NYSW.Some rarely,if ever, got washed though.The F45's,SD45's,B40's and C430's got washed often.If you were around Little Ferry yard at the time,you helped out.

#35 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 02:19 AM

And the NYSW did have some of the nicer looking engines around. All you have to do is look at some of the pictures that are out there. I have a ton of them because I like the SusieQ a lot. There are others. In fact I just saw yesterday three NS engines go by that had either just been washed or painted. They really looked sharp. The BNSF's that I see go by here are rare but very clean. So it depends upon the railroad I guess. But it is moot anyway. We all like to do something different in the sim and that's what makes it nice. We can. We can run whatever and whereever and whenever we feel like it. Ain't that great? I think it is. And we have some great stuff out there right now and more on the way. You gotta love it. I know I sure do. wink.gif

#36 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 09:17 AM

Tim,

I wish I could see trains go by. Where I live down here in the Hurricane state, I am near the end of a former CSX branch that ran from Sarasota to Venice. Now they have embargoed this end of the line and so all traffic stops about 10 to 12 miles north of here with them using part of that line for boxcar storage. Must be almost 100 cars up there on every available siding plus the mainline as well. rolleyes.gif We use to get a circus train twice a year heading for Venice and the local would come down the line this far perhaps once a week. Other than that, we just saw tracks.

The last train I saw on those tracks looked like this. Not as pretty as your SusieQ's I feel. I like the SusieQ as well. Be nice to have it interchange with Andre's LNE when it is done. wink.gif biggrin.gif

Paul

Attached Files