Photo

Specs please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:37 PM

I found a good Wooden Gondola and it is narrow gauge, and Jonathan Lewis said I could use SFM to make it standard Gauge so can somebody give me the X Y Z so it won't look like a giant next to the box cars. I tried but it floated in the air so I kinda just forgot about it wink.gif Thanks alot

Thanks and here is a pic

Attached Files

#2 woodhous

woodhous

Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 04:12 PM

Hey guy,

After looking at the gon I think there's a couple things you might consider.

First: what are the dimensions of the gon compared to the StL&NA flat cars?
The reason I ask is that the gon might be close to standard gauge StL&NA flat car dimensions - maybe a bit short. I looked at the track work and it looks a lot more standard gauge than narrow gauge. Wonder if this is a mode designed to run on x-track 3' gauge track or on standard gauge track with a narrow gauge look to it?

A lot of narrow gauge equipment (especially the D&RG(W)) was modified from standard gauge equipment - including the 'mudhen' locomotives. They also used standard gauge couplers on their cars.

Second: Maybe it's possible to have the original StL&NA designer either give permission for others to modify the flat into a gon. Perhaps he/she would be willing to give it a shot personnaly. Especially if they didn't have to worry about the texturing. Perhaps you might be willing to try for the texture part. (Wish I had some clue how to do it - and the software.) Seems like gones are flats with 1, 2, 3 or 4 3x? or 4x? horizontal board sides. Granted there were some with 'drop sides' and others with 'drop sides and sloped bottoms' to direct the flow of material out of the car. In other cases it was pure shovel power that got things into and out of the gons.

The flats could also be turned into early type tank and water cars. Great modular development project - at least in wood and/or plastic.

Just some thoughts; but as usual, I don't have any technical knowledge of what's possible in the world of electronic graphics.

Anybody out there got any ideas or suggestions that help out on this project?

Erik

#3 woodhous

woodhous

Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 04:19 PM

The more I look at the track and the gon, the more I get the feeling that it, at least visually, appears to be a picture showing standard gauge track with a gon that is actually oversized to make it look narrow gauge while running on what is realling standard gauge track.

Maybe not. But, if that should be true, then the model needs to be shrunk instead of enlarged. I suspect that the best idea is to start with a StL&NG flat, build the gon sides, or find someone to do it, and then texture as desired.

At this point, I'd say the safest route to follow would be to use a North Ark flat to build a series of perhaps 2 and 3 horizontal board gons.

Erik

Erik

#4 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 04:34 PM

Yea but when you do resize it It is bigger than the Dash 9, so I have no idea what do to do and I have NO Clue how to use TSM, so If I can't find a way to rescale it, the project is on a halt, but other than that I can do it

Anybody else wanna help a eager little boy paint wink.gif

#5 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 05:10 PM

Hi Jonathan:

Typically, the wooden gons of the era of the North Arkansas were about 36' long, typical in width, had truss rod underframes, and archbar trucks.

Hope this helps.

Andre

#6 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 09:01 PM

I know there are 4 wooden gondolas in the file library so I will see what I can do about it

If we do get one to look right, what color will be paint it, please note I can't paint freight cars(YET) but I will try if it has to be done.

Be back in a sec, and my internet is fixed so I'm back in action

Thanks Andre wink.gif

#7 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 09:06 PM

Or I can pull my copy of the 1894 Master Carbuilders Annual report tomarrow and find the info.

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 09:23 PM

Would that by any chance have scale drawings of one therein?

Andre

#9 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 09:24 PM

IIRC, yes it does, but the book is not in good shape and I do not think it would survive a trip through the scanner.

#10 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:07 AM

Dear me! I didn't realize it was an actual 1894 publication!! (Thought it was a reprint, or something!)

Understandable your concern!

Andre

#11 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:48 PM

Yep it is an original. I am looking at gettting it rebound, but they want serious bucks for that and I am holding off.

It was a gift from a very good freind. I have to correct myself, it is the 1899 Annual Report.

#12 mquist

mquist

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:23 PM

Perhaps a digital camera set on max resolution would surfice if you have one - just light the page well. My Nikon 995 is great for this.

#13 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:31 PM

Don't have one. One of these days I will. But I still like my old Pentax

#14 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:08 PM

You must have some great friends Kev to have something like that. I wonder where they got it. Interesting none the less. Well , you said you had a great library. I believe it now. I would love to be able to read some of that stuff. Wouldn't have anything on the NW line out of Bristol, VA would you. I think it is called the Pulaski line. Just curious. Would love to get ahold of that if it was available. I might even take a crack at the RE again if I could find the track data for that line. It runs in front of my house, by the way. Single track but would be fun to recreate, especially using scale rail. Anyway, if someday you have time to look for it I would appreciate it. But don't do it unless you have the time. Thank Kev.

#15 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:59 AM

Unfortunatley, I don't have anyting about that one. I am looking at getting a fwe more books. Esp., ones on the Southern, L&N, and a couple on the B&O.

I may be able to go through and get the deminsions and give them to you.

#16 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:30 PM

That would work. Actually, I can probably drive the entire line with my car and get enough pics to recreate the route, it would just be the dimensions and the signalling type of information that I would need. If you could get anything that would be of great help. Anyway, thanks, Kev. I appreciate it. wink.gif