Photo

Railroadin!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:10 AM

Instead of spending all night in RE, I actually got to do some railroading on the LNE! I needed to check out the new DL&W trackwork at Portland, so figured I might as well get some ideas of activity times, etc. Sooo...

I created a quick activity w/some AI traffic, slapped in some cars at the DL&W yard... and ran a "caboose hop" out of Pen Argyl to bring the tonnage back to Pen Argyl.

My rank LNE newbie status almost got me! Was switching the large cut of cars down at the at the DL&W yard... and got myself trapped! Had grabbed too much tonnage and couldn't get the stuff shoved back up the grade! So, I had to do what the real one's do if they can... eased on ahead with the tonnage until the grade leveled out... then hooked 'em into reverse, threw some sand under it, and got after it! Got 'em up to about 10 MPH... the Alco FA's staccato exhaust roaring to high heaven! Finally struggled and heaved the tonnage into the yard track in order to make the cut I needed to make. Fun!

Oh, while switching at the DL&W yard, a total of 4 DL&W trains motored briskly by hustling to and from points east. Cool! (And that was with NO trains on the DL&W's Cut Off Line, or any LNE movements up on the LNE!)

This northeastern railroading is going to be some good stuff.

Amazing the totally different experiences this sim can offer: I can jump into a steamer and head off into the wilds of the Ozarks in 1901... or railroad aboard some Alco FA's at a busy junction in the early 1950's!!!

Amazing!

All for now.

Andre

#2 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 03:39 AM

Being a mid Easterner and an ALCO lover, your descriptions are making my mouth water so much that I am sitting in a puddle. You weren't a used car salesman in another life were you Andre? If you were, you were the best!! My card is just straining to wait impatiently for this masterpiece to be finished!!

Paul

#3 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 07:41 AM

Andre,

Y'know I can't stand too much of this - How long did you say till the route would be ready? Goin to have to keep those ice packs handy to keep me cool.

Keeping my card on ice too!

Rod M

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:45 AM

Well... I think it's going to be a fun route. Still have one more major tracklaying project for this first segment: Pen Argyl Yard.

Pics indicate it's a complex sucker, but unfortunately, I have yet to unearth a good map. I'm putting it off hoping some good info will surface... but I know how that routine goes: Good info will surface... the next morning after completing my best guess at it. rolleyes.gif

> How long did you say till the route would be ready?

Oh me... months. Loooooong ways to go. Just good and started, actually. This is why I wish route building wasn't such a long, tedious affair. Alas, given the current tool we have to work with, it's just the nature of the beast.

Andre

#5 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:29 AM

Andre,

I remember an article in Railroad Model Craftsman a while back, say 20 years or more, on the L&NE and it had some track layouts in it. I believe I still have it in my archives somewhere. If you have not seen this, would you like for me to scan it and send it to you by email if you wish. Just let me know, I would like to help wherever I could.

Paul

#6 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:05 PM

Scan the article????

Absolutely!! YES!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Any plans for LNE structures, rollingstock, track plans... ANYTHING like this... would serve to help me produce a better recreation of it.

Also, any DL&W at Portland info would help, as well as eventually, any info on Campbell Hall and Maybrook, etc.

Andre

#7 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:35 PM

Andre,

After reading your post I went into my archives and found the article. It is entitled "Between the Lehigh and New England" by Robert Mohowski and was published in the July 1987 issue of Model Railroad Craftsman. It is 8 pages with pictures, drawings of several small structures for modeling, and track layouts for Swartswood Jct., Sussex Jct., and Hainesburg Jct.. and some history. While it may not be helpful, I find that you can never have to much reference material when you go to do something.

I will scan it after dinner since I am suppose to be working right now, and once I have it done I will let you know by PM and you an let me know where to email it.

Paul

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 03:21 PM

Paul:

However you want to do it would be great.

Hopefully, that's the article that includes a drawing of JU Cabin at Swartswood Jct, if so, frosting!

I always anticipate gleaning little goodies from new material!

Andre

#9 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 03:34 PM

ANDRE,

THE ARTICLE HAS A PICTURE OF IT WITH AN a-b-b-a LASH-UP OF FA's GOING PAST, BUT NO PLANS UNFORTUNATELY. dry.gif

PAUL

#10 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 11:39 PM

I am sure he will find a use for whatever you send him Paul. Stuff like what you have is hard enough to come by. I am wondering if someone in that area might be able to visit the local libraries and perhaps find the trackage info he is looking for. I know that down here, ETSU has fantastic stuff on the old and new trackage in this area and Eastern Tenn and Western NC, so perhaps some local university up in that area might have that information as well. If anyone lives in that area and can help I know Andre would more than appreciate it, as well as all of us.
And good catch Paul. You must have a great memory to have remember that from 20 years ago...heck, I can't remember what I had for dinner last night! blush.gif wink.gif

#11 moose49

moose49

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 03:53 PM

biggrin.gif

Tim,

glad you're back! I belive it was food.

#12 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:34 PM

glad you're back! I belive it was food.

First Jeff, thank you, and secondly, I do believe you are correct.....but that's all I can remember at the moment.....Actually it was my daughter's wonderful Spaghetti and meatball dinner. How could I forget that?
blink.gif wink.gif

#13 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 01:45 PM

Tim,

In reference to your July 23rd. post. I have a selective railroad and model railroad article library that goes back to the 50's. Back then as a teenager I could only afford to buy magazines every once in awhile and so I only bought them when they had at least two articles in them that I was really interested in. Most of them now, since they had started to fall apart, are just photocopies of the articles that interested me or that I thought I would need as I build my different railroads.

Blessed with a rather decent memory, I can usually remember what is there, I just have to go looking for it then. That is the fun part. Easy to get distracted along the way. wink.gif biggrin.gif

Paul

#14 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:01 PM

Hmmm sounds interesting Paul. Do you have anything on the Southern or NW railroads? Or anything to do with my part of the country, like perhaps the routes in and around Bristol, VA or TN? Just curious. I might be interested if you had the time to photocopy them for me. If not, that is fine also. Just was wondering. I would certainly love to see some of those articles. I bet they are interesting reading!

#15 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:49 PM

Andre: Push the "Print Screen" button and make us all drool and slobber!

Herb