Photo

Portland, Penn., RE Map...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 02:20 PM

Troops:

Just finished laying the Lackawanna (DL&W) track in the Portland, PA area... thought I'd throw up a quick RE map of what the Portland/Hainesburg area offers. Here's some notes to go along with the number locations...

1. LNE main line west to Pen Argyl yard in Pen Argyl, PA.

2. DL&W Interchange with the LNE. This is where the LNE will typically pick up inbound cars from the DL&W.

3. DL&W "Hill Top Yard". This is where the LNE will DELIVER outbound cars to the DL&W.

4. Portland station siding. Utility siding for spotting cars for off-loading.

5. 4+% grade DOWN to the DL&W wye/yard at location 8.

6. LNE's "Delaware River" crossing. The DL&W mainline passes beneath.

7. Quarry spur.

8. DL&W wye/yard. The LNE can/will deliver full tonnage consists (i.e. complete trains) to/from this yard when the capacity of the LNE interchange tracks at location 2 or 3 are exceeded.

9. Susquehanna (NYS&W) Hainesburg interchange with the LNE for receiving inbound cars from the NYS&W.

10. LNE Hainesburg interchange area for outbound cars to the NYS&W. Full tonnage LNE consists can terminate/originate here.

11. The Paulins Kill viaduct area of the the DL&W. The LNE passes under the Paulins Kill viaduct.

12. Hainesburg proper. Couple spurs to serve.

13. NYS&W main line east. The LNE shares trackage rights on this portion all the way to Swartswood Junction, a distance of 18 miles.

As you can see... this area alone is going to produce a TON of operational opportunities! In addition, 90% of the DL&W main lines through the area are double track and had a virtual parade of trains thereon. This will afford mucho opportunities for lots of "eye candy" as well as interaction with AI DL&W trains.

Not all areas modeled are this active, but there is enough along the way to insure that we'll never want for things to do on the Lehigh & New England!

Having fun...

Andre

Attached Files

#2 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 02:25 PM

Looks promising Andre, about how big is the route gonna be anyway, I love to run them ole F-Units with freight on them but I never have time anymore to do anything but paint and lift weights for football. Has Gaetan done any of the engines yet, he does great work and some of his free stuff is better than I have seen, he will make the route look alot better and you also have good skill to paint to(STL&NA).

Have fun great poobah wink.gif
Jonathan T.

#3 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 02:44 PM

Hi Jonathan:

The first LNE installment released will be about 37-38 miles long, and will include many LNE engines/rolling stock, driveable NYSW engines and rolling stock, as well as AI trains for the DL&W.

The second installment will include another 38 or so miles of railroad, as well as AI trains for the Erie, New Haven, and NYC railroads. (Possibly the New York Ontario & Western as well.)

Gaetan has not completed any of the LNE engines as yet. Building/texturing an engine from scratch can be a tedious process. His first project is the cabeese needed. There isn't a pressing deadline right now for the finished product.

All for now!

Andre

#4 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 03:11 PM

For some reason I love New Haven, I always have and always will, I live in Arkansas but that is something I got from the upstate folk

Hey did they run any steam special through there like the Empire Express, I really don't know the area so I really don't know how far it is from New york or anything, glad to see also that it is gonna be long

Thanks Andre,
Jonathan

#5 LNE 709

LNE 709

Ticket Inspector

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:43 AM

"(Possibly the New York Ontario & Western as well.)"

I hope you do include the O&W Andre.

Jack

#6 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:01 PM

Hi Jack! (Hmmm... that's sounds "suspicious"... hope the Feds aren't monitoring this blink.gif )

Be reminded that:

* Only enough O&W track would be included at Campbell Hall to allow for interchange with the LNE as well as O&W AI traffic.

* Campbell Hall will be in the NEXT segment of the LNE to be developed, and not this segment. This segment will run from Pen Argyl, PA, to just east of Augusta, NJ.

Say, Jack... are you familiar with the way the NYC played into the scheme of things at Campbell Hall? Did their line terminate at Campbell Hall, or did it proceed through the area via trackage rights on some other line?

Andre

#7 ChiliLine

ChiliLine

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Jul 23 2004, 03:01 PM)
Hi Jack! (Hmmm... that's sounds "suspicious"... hope the Feds aren't monitoring this )

ph34r.gif

Of course we're monitoring this. But not to worry - it usually takes a few rounds of forming committees, holding meetings, and developing strategies before we start thinking about actually doing anything!

Andy

#8 LNE 709

LNE 709

Ticket Inspector

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 05:01 PM

Hi Andre,

"* Only enough O&W track would be included at Campbell Hall to allow for interchange with the LNE as well as O&W AI traffic. "

Ok didn't want the O&W to be forgotten, can't get enough NYOW biggrin.gif

"* Campbell Hall will be in the NEXT segment of the LNE to be developed, and not this segment. This segment will run from Pen Argyl, PA, to just east of Augusta, NJ."

Understood, missed that during my reading of the official announcement because of my joy/drooling/foaming in knowing the LNE is coming back and you owe me a keyboard btw biggrin.gif

"are you familiar with the way the NYC played into the scheme of things at Campbell Hall?"

Sorry Andre, not that interested in major railroads (NYC,PRR etc.) at all, to me they don't have that railroady feeling.

"Did their line terminate at Campbell Hall, or did it proceed through the area via trackage rights on some other line?"

My only NYC map, which is not that good, shows NYC tracks ending at Campbell Hall and I can't tell you if there are trackage rights beyond Campbell Hall, will look into it though.

Jack
(no connection at all to the Feds)

#9 LNE 709

LNE 709

Ticket Inspector

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 06:00 PM

Looked into the trackage rights a little more and found a better map too.

http://www.canadasou...s/map-river.jpg

Main list of maps:
http://www.canadasou...vision-maps.htm

It doesn't look like the NYC had any trackage rights beyond Campbell Hall and the NYC entered Campbell Hall by trackage rights, learn something new everyday. Don't know on whose tracks though.

Jack

#10 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for the map search Jack!

If I were guessing, I would say they used Erie track from Montgomery to Campbell Hall. In fact, the track that the LNE uses from Pine Island to Campbell Hall is called the Erie "Montgomery Branch" as I recall.

Campbell Hall will be an interesting place. It's another one of those "nowhere that happens to be somewhere" places on account of FIVE railroads converging on "nowhere".

<< Dream Mode: ON>>>

I have a dream! After completing the LNE from Pen Argyl to Maybrook... wouldn't it be cool to expand the LNE route and take the Susequehanna on into Little Ferry?? Two railroads (LNE/NYSW) in one! laugh.gif

<< Dream Mode: OFF>>>

Of course, there's a lot of route building between now and at the time that could be a possibility. blink.gif

Reality is the pits. dry.gif

Andre

#11 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 11:50 PM

Turn that dream mode back on Andre because I would love to see that LNE/NYSW extended route addon. I just have this thing for the Susquehanna. I have done a couple reskins of it and would love to do more. I have a ton of pics to work with. So, down the road or not, I will take it if it is built......Keep in dream mode, Andre. wink.gif

#12 LNE 709

LNE 709

Ticket Inspector

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 04:07 PM

Your welcome Andre and I hope you stay in dream mode too. smile.gif Now it's my turn to dream, build the NYSW to Little Ferry but backdate the route to the late 1800's and early 1900's. This way you also have the Wilkes Barre and Eastern from Stroudsburg to Wilkes Barre. So you get the entire mine to market haul on the NYSW and all the mining activity around Wilkes Barre. laugh.gif To bad the WB&E was abandoned totally in 1942.

Jack