Photo

'Nuther Pic of the PK Viaduct...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 08:00 PM

Those RE pics just don't convey the massiveness and awesome visual impact of this bridge! At Wayne's request, I was checking for some LOD levels and happen to think to take a quick screen while passing under this thing. Even this pic doesn't do justice to the impressive hulk and good craftsmanship in this beauty. Check out how small the rolling stock is that's underneath it.

So, not the best of posed shots... but nonetheless... here's another pic...

OH, and btw, Wayne has built in dynamic shadow capability so this monster will cast an impending shadow in the valley of the Paulins Kill*!

Andre

* A "kill" is a Dutch term for "creek" or "waterway", as I understand it. Ever hear the term "Pennsylvannia Dutch"? Well, now you know why!

Attached Files

#2 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 08:27 PM

I was wondering about the "Kill" in the name of that viaduct. It is very impressive in size. Looking at the couple of screen shots you've posted of it. It brings the question to my mind...was this viaduct and the one KCS uses to cross a city street in Kansas City (maybe a highway) designed by the same folks? There is a striking resemblance between the two. I haven't had any luck finding photo of it online, or I would share it with everyone.

#3 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:03 AM

The word "KILL" was also used because building a bridge of that magnitude across a wide valley could just kill you.