Photo

SLSF 0-8-0

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:16 PM

This is a workin-Progress but I have a question real quick

I was gonna make the "FRISCO" Letters whiter and I went into the paint brush to doodle and it was not white, it changed color everytime I went over it with the white, I looked at everything, including the brush tips and if I had saturation on, and I tried using the dripper sad.gif

Thanks for the help and hopefully I can GIT-R-DONE

Attached Files

#2 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:27 AM

Looks good from my house. laugh.gif

#3 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:31 PM

Here it is in more of a weathered stage.

What do ya think, not bad for a rookie, Do you think I should color the cab the same color as the engine or give it the new cab look, I still got a lot to do and when I get finsihed this is gonna be the best lookin STL&NA Engine outthere rolleyes.gif Hopefully

Attached Files

#4 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:19 PM

I think the Frisco lettering is white enough and perhaps too white if you are weathering it. Not sure why you would want it whiter when it should be more grey and some of the lettering missing if it is to be weathered and also some rust or weather running down through the lettering. Just a suggestion to match the front.. Cab would weather too, unless of course they put on a new cab, which they were quite capable of doing back then.

Looking good Jonathan. Keep it up. wink.gif

#5 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:51 PM

Can you help me with the eng file for the 4-4-0, I get a error even thought all through the eng file everything is changed, I get the error contuine at the start, I tried changing to folder so Tim or anybody else could you help me huh.gif

And for the cab, I am gonna leave it like that but I will weather the tender and find out a way to put some rust on it wink.gif

Attached Files

#6 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:00 PM

First off Jonathan, what kind of error message are you getting? If any. Secondly, did you change anything in this engine that you did not in the other engine you uploaded already? That might give you a clue. And finally, if you send me the engine file as well as the sd and shape file I will look at it and see if I can find out the problem. Actually, if you could send me the entire thing it would be better. Send the parts I mentioned first in a zip and then zip up the ace files in a separate file and send them to me. Without seeing them Jonathan it would be very tough to diagnose the problem.
If I cannot figure it out, and that is a possibility as I am actually more familiar with the diesel engine files, then perhaps we can get Andre to help us out here.
Anyway. Send the files to me and I will look at them for you. Hopefully it is something minor that you overlooked. It is sometimes easier for someone else to spot a mistake than the one doing it. I know that from experience.

You know my address, Jonathan.

#7 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:28 PM

Ok Tim but I am gonna send them to ya on my Yahoo account, because it will let you have about 100mbytes of space to attactments, I will get that out here in a second, my yahoo is rivercrestcolts55@yahoo.com

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:35 PM

Hi Tim/Jonathan:

All that I've done is alias the eng file to use the sounds/cabview included in the NA_Required folder. Shouldn't be a problem.

I suspect that the eng/shape/sd file and/or the wag/shape/sd file have a mismatched name, and/or a name that wasn't changed to correspond with the new naming convention in either/or both the eng/wag file.

It's sometimes confusing. I've been snake bit lots of times on the renaming routine.

Andre

#9 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:28 PM

I think I found the problem, the shape for the engine, the .s was Capitalized so I think That fixed it, now I gotta get back to work smile.gif

Thanks and the Great Poobah is right again, man I am sleepy, ride me on the magic carpet rolleyes.gif

#10 woodhous

woodhous

Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 12:14 PM

Jonathan,

Can't get over the great work you're doing.

You asked for some suggestions. I hope you don't think this is too nig-picking. You've come so far and are doing so well that I think you can take another step here. Not a big one, but a minor step that can probably add bundles. Since I don't have a clue about skinning, etc., I don't know how it'd be done. I can just suggest what I've seen or think I remember how things might look. You're already sooooo close.

Your 0-8-0 has got all the basics. It's slight adjustments in weathering that might (and only might) gain even more on the visual 'perfectomente' scale. Maybe Tim's got some other suggestions or feelings 'bout this. Check out some steam engine photos and see what they suggest to you.

I agree that the white lettering could be toned down a bit. After all it's been through rain, hail, sleet, dust, mud and lots of sunlight.

On round or tube/cylinder shaped objects, keep the top half slightly darker than the bottom half since the bottom gets lightened from dust while the top gets darker from smoke, etc., - especially from the stack or exhaust areas back.

On your 0-8-8 this might involve lightening the very back of the firebox/boiler section just in front of the cab and below the 'handrail line'. Also think about lightening the bottom of the cylinder 'tubes' to make sure people get the rounded nature of them. Even the tops might be lightened just a bit, but not as much as the bottoms.

The domes might be able to use a little more dimentional coloring to show their roundness - maybe a bit lighter on the front of the domes. Also, a bit more metal color on the bell without making it into anything too polished. Weather it too.

Finally, and then I'll quit being a pain, if you want to add a bit more color to either of your two mordern steam locos, consider the possibility of the cab roofs being 'painted' something like oxide-red (a red diluted with white - almost pastel) and then weathered with a 'spray' of soot down the enterline of the roof.

Maybe the hardest task is to blend the lighter and darker areas so they don't look like patches.

Again, your work is so promising I find it difficult to believe you're just getting started in all this and have gotten such a good grasp on what you're doing already. I know that what I wrote might seem nit-picking and pushy. Normally I wouldn't push you like this, but you've got the talent and ability.

Thanks for your contributions to this great hobby/simulation.

Erik Erickson
Columbus didn't discover America, he used a Viking map.

(The above signature line in recognition of my hometown starting a three day Nordic Fest featuring all nordic nationalities, but primarily Norwegian. The Norwegians and lutefisk (a delicacy that makes cod-liver oil seem like rootbeer) have already arrived. And now the turkey vultures are circling overhead. There's got to be a connection.)

#11 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 02:33 PM

Man thanks alot Erik, I was gonna lightin the under the cylinder cocks anyway but the other parts of the engine are holding me back, here is it just about finished, but I still do not know how to do alpha huh.gif sad.gif Yea I will add the lighting to the domes to, I was trying to make it looked like steam had blacken it but I went to far on it so I will get on that after I get finished with the GP9 or I will do this or one of em'

Thanks alot and I still got the problem with the 4-4-0

Attached Files

#12 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:09 PM

Jonathan, I think Erik made some very good suggestions and the above looks much better but I still think you need to weather the cab as well. Just doesn't quite look right with the rest of the engine, but it is yours to do with as you please. But, I also agree that you are doing an excellent job with as short a time as you have been doing it.
As for the 4-4-0, I really can't get a hold on what is wrong with it. I don't see that the filenames are incorrect Andre but I could have overlooked something. But looked several times at this. It won't even load in Conbuilder so that tells me there is more wrong with it than that. I have even gone in and made a few changes and still can't get it to work. Did you do an update to it Andre? I have asked Jonathan to send me the original engine file as that might give me a better idea of what is wrong here. Rarely do you get one that won't even load up in conbuilder. So will check it out if you send it to me Jonathan. It might be better to send it to Andre however as he would have a better idea about this kind of engine than I would. I like steam but I understand the early diesel engines better.
One of us will get it right for you though. Keep up the good work, young man. Doing great!

#13 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:16 PM

What do ya mean weather the cab, it is already black as the night wink.gif My dad said to lighten up the cylinder cocks and the domes a little but also to dirty up the wheels in which alpha means blocks not wheels, weoooooweo, reskinning is fun ain't it biggrin.gif

I don't know what is up with the eng file but I sent the original .eng file to you so you can peek at that for awhile, I don't know what Andre did to it, the Great Poobah has fell off his carpet, and I can't get it to work either,

Well gotta go and finish this darn GP9

#14 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 11:19 PM

"I don't know what Andre did to it, the Great Poobah has fell off his carpet, and I can't get it to work either,"

I have no idea what all you're trying to do to the eng file, but in regards to the cabview/sound work you asked of me:

If you have a non-modified NA_Required folder installed in the Trainset folder, placed an "alias.cvf" file from a supplied NA loco in the loco's "CabView" folder as I instructed, then the changes I accomplished for you will work.

Keep hacking at it. smile.gif

Andre

#15 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 11:30 PM

I wasn't blamin it on you huh.gif wink.gif

I have tried that, but I still get a no-no, well I have tried and tried, but I guess youth can't beat Wisdow, ai Tim tongue.gif He is looking over it for me, as I said and him to I think I might be a a little mess up in the .eng file so I will wait on that.

P.S look at the QA&P in the Screeny Forum, it looks real good smile.gif 3

Thanks,
Jonathan a.k.a The "Blamer" cool.gif

#16 woodhous

woodhous

Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 04:13 PM

Jonathan,

Tim's answer says a lot. You are one phenomian skinner and disigner. the problem for all of us ( you, Tim and I) is that there's so much involved in trying to do something that approaches perfection.

I's might suggest we all take a day off and think about what we can contriubute, provied, and help each other (and others) wthh
:
1. All of us try to improve just a step at a time and forget about perfection. It (perfection) is not only a great goal, but possibly not possible to reach. So, let's all go for the best possible that we can do and then try to push it just a little bit further. If nothing else, we could all become a target for otherw to beat by just a n 'inch" or what some might call a "little bit."

Yeah, they might have upped the anti a bit, but think how important it was that we help them do it either by helping them fnd out how to do it or getging them so determined that they had to find a way to meet or exceed our thoughts or expectiations.

What say we call take the rest of the weekend off and do two things:
1) relax
2) condiser not trying to push ourselves into deciding and doing something riight now. One of the person who worked with me at tghe University of MInnesota suggested that I consider what the absolute deadline for doing something really was.

I usually found that I belivved it to be "right now', 'cuz somebody saif this was something importnat and needed immediate consideration.. Consideration is a lot different from a deadline. You've got great ideas. You don't have deadlines imposed by others. Take you time; think about it all; relax; have some fun with family and frineds. Then, if you feel like it, come back to these projects. You've already proved your a heck of great person and have much to contribute to the rest of us older phogies (or od phartts) who have experience, but often lack the ability to understand what new science, technology, etc., have to say to us. Even when we do, we often can't quite understand what we need to do to accomplish these new goals.

Maybe, if we all work together, we can figure out how to help each other reah a better quality world, or at least a better quality railroad assimulation. I consider the improved assimulation as a step on the way to an improved quality of life for all of us; you, me, the rest of the folks here on the forum; your family and friends, and the rest of your those who help make up your world of friends, neighbors, and interest communities.

Take care my friend,
Erik

It's a big, challengine, sometimes scarry, but alway interesting world out there.

#17 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 06:39 PM

Thanks, I really do it for the people to drive and not for just me, I let my dad drive them alot and he likes em' dirty like me. The both engines are gonna look really good, but the thing that makes me happy is when people drive yours around and take pictures of it, weeoo that makes me thingle. The 2-8-0 had a few errors, no alphaed window and the number plate under the headlight should have been a frisco sign not a plate ohmy.gif

I love pressure, I do my best work when somebody emails me and tells me to hurry up, I can get a bit lazy and well you know the rest. I am glad people like my work since I am only 15 and the rest of the people on here are twice my age or 4 times the age(old phart tongue.gif ) I have learned alot but Football comes in 2 weeks so I gotta get ready for that, so no time to paint and little time for MSTS, so I wanna get my 2 engines and try to do a activity with them.

Also can anybody help me, I found a good Wooden Gondola but using Shape File Manager to scale it is hard. I need to put in the Max X, Y, X and resize it, Everytime I do it it just dissapears so I have no idea what to do, When I do get it to fit the rail it is like a monster next to the little STL&NA box car. Anybody explain how to make it fit into the STL&NA, I don't have no idea what to do but I do know know how to make the engines shine though(4-4-0 is gonna sparkle cool.gif It is loaded with coal so I can do a activity with a log train and a coal train and I done everycar blush.gif

Well gotta go, hope somebody can figure out what to do with the gondola,
Jonathan

EVERTHING I DO MESSES UP, I AM A JENKS huh.gif smile.gif

#18 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 12:09 AM

You're not a jinx Jonathan, just overexuberant as Erik says. Sometimes you have to step back and look at things a bit and then get back to them before it suddenly hits you. With you though, I suspect that is something we won't see for a while. wink.gif Your exuberance is great Jonathan, it really is but it can also be a detriment sometimes as Erik so ably pointed out. We all know you are doing a great job and will do much more in the future, so you don't have to prove anything to us. So you need to slow down a bit and not go rushing past the point where you have to stop and say, oh oh, what do I do know or how am I going to fix this. You will always get help when you ask for it Jonathan, but it may not be as quick as you would like it to be. Some of us aren't as quick (like this old phart) as you are. Try to remember that. But you will always be able to count on my help. Just don't expect it yesterday. Ok?

Erik, what you said is exactly right, but this young man is not going to take that advice for a while. He is like a ball of fire that has found another spark and is off on another run. He just loves what he is doing and I guess that is good. He is obviously talented, it shows, but he needs to go that one more step and learn to take his time. I am sure that it would help him even more and would save a little frustration on his part in getting the reskin out when he would like. But, you gotta hand it to him, he learns fast. And listens well too. I will give him that.

Anyway, Jonathan. Hope you got the file that it looks like this forgetful old phart forgot to send you last night. My apologies for that. And hope you like the change. If not, I will do it again. But, I think it will work for what you want it to look like. And I will look this file over again. I have an idea after Andre's post, what may be wrong with it. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Again, thanks Erik! wink.gif

#19 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 12:19 AM

I don't know what colors to use for the bell or roof huh.gif , I will get on that, I Been to busy with this darn GP-15 I been doin for the Canton. I love doin this and I like when People like to talk about it, but I want to see other people enjoy them and talk about them, that is what I aim for. The day I uploaded the 2-8-0 and I went to new files at T-S and seen my name I almost cried huh.gif I will have a pic of the final thing(0-8-0) and Tim(if he wants to) can do the alpha for the engine and the wheels since I have no clue how to do it.

Yea I got the file now all I gotta do is paint it red and let you(I HATE TO SAY THAT, ITS LIKE I'M USIN YOU) do the alpha for the drawed window.

Thanks Tim and Erik and Andre and whoever else,
Jonathan

Life is like a passanger train, it might be on time and it might run late, and somewhere down the line you might derail, only you can prevent forest fires biggrin.gif

#20 woodhous

woodhous

Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 03:51 PM

Jonathan,

Thanks for your 'thanks'. I don't think you need to worry about following anyone's advice - especially mine. Hopefully we'll all learn a bit from each other and if anything we have to offer to each other will be helpful - that's super. If not helpful now, perhaps someday. If never, we at least made an effort, even if it wan't what was needed. You're way ahead of most of us in this 'game'.

Best to you and I look forward to seeing what you do for yourself, not just the rest of us guys. Good to have you as part of the railroading community.

Do I have any more worthless advice? Sure!

Don't wear yourself out trying to do everything for the sim-community at one shot. Take your time and work at whatever pace you're comfortable with. Also, list to advice, but don't necessarily take it. Think about what's right for you. Wish I knew more about 'electronic modeling', but I grew up during the days of cardboard, balsa wood, plastics, etc. Programming was one thing, but graphics is where I met my Waterloo. I keep trying and hopefully I'll someday manage to get it all sorted out.

Have a great day, tomorrow and future. I'll try to keep up with ya!

Erik
A Canton/North Ark fan. Life's pretty darned good too.