St. L & N A Logo Part 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cyberjim_*

Guest_cyberjim_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2004 - 02:45 PM

Hi all, I got on Google and did some advanced image searches with boolean and keyword phrases and then just plowed through the first 300 related thumbnail pics looking at everything the spiders retreived.

And, about 230 pics into the search, this image came up
I'll let Andre look at it and make the call as to if he thinks it legit or not!!
Also, there was no URL associated with this pic!! Jim

Attached Files

#2 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:11 PM

Jim, I think you've struck PURE GOLD!

Go to the head of the class! tongue.gif

#3 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:25 PM

Cool, I like it

He gets a A+, or a F- huh.gif tongue.gif

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:49 PM

I haven't a clue.

Quick observations:

The lettering at the top doesn't seem to match the lettering at the bottom. That is, there is no aliasing (smoothing) on the "St.L & NA" part as is evident on the rest of the lettering. This leads me to believe sometime in the digital past someone scanned an M&NA logo and added the StL&NA portion.

However, who really knows?

Ah the fun of learning!

Andre

#5 Guest_Reading_Lines_*

Guest_Reading_Lines_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2004 - 06:39 PM

Whoa, the plot thickens. Could it be? What a great research job Jim. Just outstanding!

#6 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Jul 14 2004, 05:49 PM)
The lettering at the top doesn't seem to match the lettering at the bottom. That is, there is no aliasing (smoothing) on the "St.L & NA" part as is evident on the rest of the lettering. This leads me to believe sometime in the digital past someone scanned an M&NA logo and added the StL&NA portion.

However, who really knows?

You've a good eye, Andre. Yes, the StL & NA does seem to have been added without the anti-aliasing apparent in the rest. Odd thing. Odd, but nice at the same time. Hard to believe there aren't some photos somewhere. Jim did well to unearth this on the net but it's possible what we're really looking for isn't on the net (including eBay) at all.

I have a brother living in Eureka. I should send him on a hunt if he's willing.

#7 Guest_cyberjim_*

Guest_cyberjim_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:38 PM

Yeah, Andre, I was thinking the same thing when I magnified the logo in irfanview taking a closer look, but wanted to let you see it just in case I stumbled onto something.
I also came across this interesting picture in my searching. Don't know if ST.L&NA ran any logging trains or not and I can't make out any lettering on anything in this pic, but the engine looks like a 2-6-0 or a 4-6-0--its hard for me to tell!!

Attached Files