Photo

Problems With My Night Textures

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 07:47 PM

It has come to my attention that my depot and night textures failed to take into account a glitch in the Kuju handling of .sd file creation. "256" as a texture flag for a night texture works but not across the seasons. In winter, it tries to load the day texture from the "Snow" folder if the season chosen is winter before it looks for the night texture. No day texture in the "Snow folder, and no go—day or night!

As a result, if you have installed my night textures, and try driving in winter, you will get an error as the route tries to load.

There are three ways to fix this:

The Easiest Way
Wait for me to repackage my downloads, alter the ReadMe and announce their availability here in the next day or so.

The Harder But Faster Way
Fire up Route_Riter, select the StL&NA route with a double-click in the left-pane, press "Confirm Route" and then "Check Route." When you do that, Route_Riter will identify the errors and offer you a chance to have it automatically change my "256" entries to "257"s and will also offer to copy the needed textures into the "Snow" folder for you.

The Hard (Manual) Way
• Identify all the .sd files in my zip, and change my "256"s to "257"s in a text editor.
• Find the day textures which match my night textures (by name) and manually copy each one into the "Snow" folder, one-by-one.

For whatever reason, if you have only a night texture, you need to also have a copy of the day texture in the Snow folder or you can't drive in winter without the error. My thanks to Jim (Shaa) for pointing out the problem.

I apologize.

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:08 PM

I feel your pain, Mike.

That 256 bug bit me on the behind several times while building my first objects w/alternate textures.

Andre

#3 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 11:27 PM

No need for apologies Mike. Not a big deal. Easy fix with route riter. Has happened to everyone who creates a route, etc. at one time or another, as Andre so pointed out. wink.gif

#4 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 04:44 AM

Thanks fellas. My only routes have been in Florida, and although I have night textures on my buildings I never drove in winter, there being no snow on the routes in any season.

Also, because all night textures require an .ace in the Snow folder anyhow, it's an incentive to create a set of snow textures for each night texture, which I may do for the fix.

#5 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 10:44 PM

That would be nice. Not that I miss the snow of northern Maine (one reason I are down here in ole Virginny) but I like to run routes in snow sometimes. And they make great screenshots too. So looking forward to your creations Mike. Will wait for them rather than do the fixes suggested earlier. Even though you are from down there in sunny land, I am sure you will come up with something that looks very good! wink.gif

#6 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 07:52 AM

Inasmuch as my repackaging of the Night Depot textures involves extracting files to three locations (Shapes, Night and Snow, I've decided to put them all into one .zip designed to extract to your Trainsim root folder. All files will then place themselves in proper places for you with no manual intervention.

All Depots and the Tent will be contained in one large zip.

I like this method more than an .exe file (though I could do that also), because it allows the option of still extracting to a temporary location if you want and moving things manually. I'm more comfortable with that and others are too. It also allows you to look inside the .zip to see what's about to happen.

Some of you know I have lived in Eureka Springs and can attest it gets some beautiful wet and sticking snows and becomes a winter wonderland. Unfortunately, there are very few snow textures provided with Andre's Route, and no winter trees at all making winter railroading on the route somewhat an "iffy" proposition as realism goes.

Personally, I enjoy railroading and flight simming in the real (read: current) season and in the case of Flight Simulator with real weather auto-downloaded every 15 minutes. Using that mindset, I have several months before I'll be railroading the StL&NA in snow.

Nonetheless, and because any night texture add-on also requires an entry in the "Snow" folder, I'm off to play catch-up with my Depot & Tent Night Textures, adding snow. When all depots and the tents are ready, I will upload to my forum and delete the individual packages.

I'm attaching a sample of what my snow textures will add to the depots. This one is Berryville.

Attached Files

#7 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:20 AM

I've come across a major snag.

In the Andre Depot textures for the quad stations of Grandview, Beaver, Pender, and Walden each sit atop a platform which is not part of the Depot shape. Some also include wood piles and a crate.

Therefore, to create proper snow textures for that set of depots, I must also create snow textures for those individual elements as well or the depots look silly.

For starters, I needed to go into route editor to find and identify all those pieces, then into Route_Riter to see what .ace files were used, and now I'm faced with the need to make sure those needed .ace files exist in both "night" and "snow."

I'm talking lots of work here and had not planned any of this "snow" stuff when I originally did my night textures and my enthusiasm for the "simple" addition of night textures to the depots on the route has waned to the point I'm very seriously considering stopping right here and now—which is an option I may well take at this point as a freeware author enhancing a payware route. Oh well . . .

Stay tuned.

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:04 PM

Hi Mike:

Right you are, I created the depot and woodplatform as two separate pieces, to be assembled as needed in RE. Doing so gave me the freedom to reuse the woodplatform in other applications. The crates, likewise.

In regards to all the nice enhancements you've offered that have been such a pleasant surprise: I can understand if it's approached the point to where the dominoes keep falling and it's beginning to be a distraction from your enjoyment of the route. Personally, it is more important to me for you to enjoy the route, than to work yourself to death "having fun"!

We all thank you for the nice additions you've created! If you need to return to enjoying the route, we'll all most certainly understand!

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU'VE DONE!

Andre

#9 ChiliLine

ChiliLine

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE(Mike @ Jul 11 2004, 02:20 PM)
I'm talking lots of work here and had not planned any of this "snow" stuff when I originally did my night textures

The RE is worse than a home project - lots and lots of pits that you can fall into and barely (if ever) escape! It'll drive a person nuts if you let it blink.gif

Having run in both night and snow, the night textures add a lot more to the route (which is almost entirely pitch black otherwise) than the snow textures. Don't knock yourself out trying to achieve perfection, Mike - as I'm sure you've experienced in the RE, down that path lays madness! tongue.gif

Andy

#10 Shaa

Shaa

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:05 PM

Boy I'm almost sorry to have found the problem...didn't mean to cause this much fun for ya Mike. If you want to put snow on just go with the roofs that would be plenty. The rest doesn't really need it. And I agree put it in a zip file as that works real well (I like to know whats going where in case something goes wrong) . If you don't want to do the snow thats fine too. The night textures are great and add alot so thanks! biggrin.gif

Jim

#11 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:22 PM

I wouldn't worry about the snow textures Mike. What you have is great. Like you said, adding snow to every single texture is more than you wanted to do. So don't do it. You have already done plenty for the route as it is. And besides, there isn't enough snow in Arkansas to really worry about it. Or you could just do what you have done. Looks fine to me. If someone else wants to tackle the job, then fine, let them. I am more interested in the night textures anyway. Sure the snow scenes look nice but there are activities for night running, none for just snow running.

#12 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:26 PM

Tim you are right, if it does snow here it only does a few inches and since it is hot here it does not last long anyway, i know i live in it blush.gif And beside I'd like to right in the pitch black and not in the snow.

#13 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 06:22 AM

Eureka Springs, Arkansas. December 13th, 2003.

Just a "few" inches. wink.gif

Remember, Eureka Springs/Grandview/Berryville is extreme Northwest Arkansas. Seligman, only a few short miles away is in Missouri.

Attached Files

#14 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 06:42 AM

December 13th? That's my anniversary!!! But it looks familiar. That's why I left Maryland for Florida. I just do not like SNOW, especially anything over 12 inches. Had (3) 22 inch snows in one moth the year before I moved down here. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

#15 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:10 AM

Belated Happy Anniversary, Paul. huh.gif

I moved around lots in my career and lived long enough in Peterborough NH to have fathered a native New Hamster. She was a late-life baby for my wife and me and will turn 21 on December 15th.

I enjoy looking at snow (New Hampshire had more than it's share of it) but that's as far as it goes.

Love Florida partly because you can't shovel water.

#16 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:37 AM

Ah, but the sand, the sand. It can make up for the snow. But at least we don't have sand plows coming down the road. No sand storms either. Even down here south of you, it gets chilly some times though, but wouldn't trade it for back up north, no matter how much I prefer the scenery up there to down here. Just to flat as far as I am concerned.

Paul

#17 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:36 AM

Mike it might snow, but one "BIG" one comes throught every year throught the ozarks. But any way we have little snows and throught missouri up near st. louis it snows and snows, hey could we put snow textures on some of the cars like the SVRy, I think it would look good cool.gif

#18 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:30 AM

Well, you're correct about the snows of course, Jonathan. I didn't live there but a couple years but know snow and ice shut Eureka Springs down a couple times each year because of all the hills.

For those who love and stick with the StL&NA, having a snow-covered set of rolling stock would be both possible and fun. I once created one of those for the USRA Light Mountain reskinned in the "American Flyer" (toy) livery of my childhood.

Of course the boilers of the engines melt the snow except in cold areas (like the cow-catcher). Creatively applied, snow textures on the rolling stock (roof & leading edges) is fun. I also created a "wet" set to run in the rain. Lots of options.

In flight sim, trying to make every airport in the world look good is an impossible dream. Likewise, if you jump from route to route, rolling stock to rolling stock in Train-Sim, you'll never get them all tweaked. Concentrating on one route, there's no end to what you can do to improve the "virtual reality" it affords which is one reason I've adopted Andre's route as a favorite. It's small, and certainly worthy of some additional effort.

And That's not to be critical of what Andre has done. As I said, he baked the cake and some of us are frosting it with tasty icing.

#19 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(Mike @ Jul 12 2004, 10:30 AM)
Concentrating on one route, there's no end to what you can do to improve the "virtual reality" it affords which is one reason I've adopted Andre's route as a favorite. It's small, and certainly worthy of some additional effort.

Mike, I'm with you on that. My MSTS setup is down to Full Bucket Line, Canton/Suddenly and StL&NA (plus Sweethaven), but - using Trainstore the only route available for some time now has been StL&NA.

I have started thinking about it more as a modelling project - something to build on slowly and savour - something where it is possible to have stock dedicated to the season (either for Explore mode or activities).

That's why, for the first time ever, I got to grips with the RE and started planting trees - particularly trees for the winter.

It's slow (and I've made a few mistakes - falling foul of the maximum number of objects allowed on a tile), but I'm learning, and as I travel along it is starting to take shape, is taking on even more life and is becoming more realistic (within the limitations of the simulator). Extra snow textures just add to that.

Andre sure baked a good cake!

#20 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:06 PM

Yes you are right there mike, There are alot of Ice Storms here to, that means no school so I know that. We need to figure out the textures for the snow and stuff, I think it will bring the realism to the route and with the snow and night packages(Which I am downloading now) Will make the rolling stock and engines stand out. Like the SVRy that is one of the best routes out there(FREEWARE)Which I think is payware, but anyway I also think there should be more trees put in Andre's route to(Arkansas has LOTS of trees) but people with weaker Computer could not handle it. But I think we could go far with the snow Idea on the cars, If Andre ever gets back I am finsihed with the 2-8-0 and 2-6-0 and the Log car(Good for the snow textures, got the idea from the textures on the SVRy log cars) I ain't to good with that type of stuff because I am in a bit of a tight right now with Alpha channels trying to do the 4-4-0 but the windows are like black, so I'm at a hault on that.

A couple thought, Hope they come true,
Jonathan