Photo

Caution: Dumb question: how to post images?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#21 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 11:09 PM

I couldn't agree with you more Mike. Much the reason for my not having a board planned for my new website. I am afraid I would be as easygoing as Marc is and that would tear heck out of my available space. So no thank you actually. I can see the advantages of a nicely run board but I am afraid I would be too charitable and cut my own throat in the process. One needs to do like you do and stick to their guns about what is put there and what is not. So, good for you for being able to do that. That's the biggest problem at TS, no owner input or output either. Just a dig, I had to make, but true nonetheless. Stick to your rules, it is your forum. None of us are paying for it! Therefore if we are your guests we must abide by your rules. As it should be! wink.gif

#22 ChiliLine

ChiliLine

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE(zhivago47 @ Jul 11 2004, 02:09 AM)
Stick to your rules, it is your forum. None of us are paying for it! Therefore if we are your guests we must abide by your rules. As it should be! 

I'm in complete agreement with you on that, Tim.

Even when you're paying for a service, that doesn't mean you have free reign. There have to be some rules for any sort of multi-person interaction - the real issue is who gets to decide! But if it's not my investment of time and money, I guess I'm too old-fashioned (can't yet bring myself to say too old tongue.gif ) to believe that I have the right to argue with the owner about what the rules are. I'm not a very good anarchist.

Andy

#23 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 02:07 PM

No forum, whether free or by paid membership should have the right to be either disrespectful or abide by a set of rules imposed by the forum's founder. All members, even other moderators if allowed, are still guests of the founder and as such, have the responsibility to follow a set of rules, whether they be minimal or numerous.

After all, if you don't want to abide by the rules of the forum, you have the freedom to go elsewhere or even start your own. There is no rule against either. Everyone should be civil with other's. That is one of the problems in today's society, people feel that they have the right to be rude and belligerent to others and that they alone are all that matters. As a result, we have a world filled with stress and hatred of others because they do not feel about things the same as you do. Many times full personal freedom is not freedom at all. Without learning how to live peacefully and civilly with other's, you end up with a world where no one is truly happy. We all need at least a minimal set of rules to guide us, to provide a sense of stability. smile.gif dry.gif

Paul

#24 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 02:53 PM

In the real world, people do not have the advantages of anonymity used and abused in most all forums open to the public.

Maintaining order in an anonymous (masked) and artificial society is not all peaches and cream and pretty please and thank you.

Have a look at the member list of this forum. Many are nameless, faceless, genderless, location-less. Those who choose to tell a bit about themselves are in the minority, with most others choosing to live a sort of "catch-me-if-you-can" Internet alleyway existence. Not a very healthy environment in which to be a Friar Tuck.

. . . I'll stop there.

[Edited for clarification.]

#25 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 03:38 PM

I agree Mike, but I also still feel that each Forum, no matter what the type, needs to have at least a minimum set of rules, and that it also needs an individual or individuals, with both the power, and the will to enforce these rules. If someone, anonymous or otherwise, breaks these rules they should first of all be warned. If they continue to brake the rules, then they should be disciplined in whatever way is open to the forum moderators/owner. The owner/moderator has the right to set limits and to enforce them.

One or even a couple times may be honest mistakes, but if it becomes a habit, then that needs to be dealt with for everyone's benefit.

Paul

#26 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:30 PM

I agree, there is to be rules. Look at T-S Forum, in a few months that baby will be shut down for good. Also I have purchased the MT-19 and the Speeder from 3dtrains so I could have the right to put pictures on here. But I guess I can wait since I think I am gonna buy the L&N GP9's but I'd still like to post pics of the engines I am doing of Andre's route. PS Does anybody know where Andre is. He was gonna send me the eng and wag files for the 2-8-0 and I have not got them(If ya didn't know went to Pea Ridge, Arkansas and girls were everywhere biggrin.gif I have been gone since Thursday and I want to get it uploaded) Well I gotta go and figure out this picture thing cool.gif

Thanks, Jonathan

#27 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:46 PM

Paul, no argument from me on being civil. Firm where and when appropriate. And frankly, the more info in a profile, the more patient I tend to be. wink.gif

@Jonathan: You'll love that little speeder! Good choice!