Photo

Caution: Dumb question: how to post images?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 ChiliLine

ChiliLine

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:34 PM

I've checked through the "Help," the Screenshot forum, and the search, to no avail. What's the magic incantation and/or button for posting images? The tutorial in the Screenshot forum says there's a button in the middle of the bottom box - is this like the tool in my garage that's in plain sight, but that I can't see? huh.gif

Thanks for the help...

Andy

#2 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:43 PM

You may first want to review this thread, Andy.

http://www.3dtrains....&f=52&t=4465&s=

#3 ChiliLine

ChiliLine

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 06:03 PM

If I could post a screenshot, I'd be able to show how there's no "Browse" button at the bottom of the compose box. All I have is "Add Reply" and "Preview Post." I've looked through my browser and firewall settings, and even tried disabling the firewall, with no luck.

Andy

#4 FerdyFlyer

FerdyFlyer

Track Layer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 07:20 PM

Well if it is any consolation ChiliLine, I don't have a browse section either blush.gif

When I do a Reply are Post a new topic, all I see directly below the Post Icons section are the Add Reply and Preview Post buttons just like yourself.

--Ferdy Flyer

#5 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 07:26 PM

At this point, I have to assume it is a board setting. Most boards are configured to allow attachments on a user and/or quota basis and I suspect Marc (or an authorized moderator) may need to allow it for those missing that option. I have counted three of you with that issue now.

#6 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:11 PM

It may also be what browser you are using? Some of the disclaimers I've seen on my screen at some forums I have/do frenquent indicate if no "Browse" button is viewable, the browser being used is not compatible with their software.

Also disable any firewalls/virus protection in place and try again.

Andre

#7 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:18 PM

I had the same problem until I bought something from Marc and he reset the forum setting to allow me access to the F Unit section. After that I saw the browse button under the posts in the screen shoot and other areas. I therefore believe it is a board setting that Marc or one of his crew must set. I had to send him an email with my screen name for this to be done as well.

Paul wink.gif

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:23 PM

You may be onto something there, Paul.

This forum is free for any/all, but I think some of the forums/features are not generally available. I will ask Marc about that when he returns from the NMRA convention next week.

Andre

#9 Shaa

Shaa

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:26 PM

Paul,

I was wondering about that also. I noticed 2 that had problems were listed as "members" and didn't have access and rest of us at some point had Marc upgrade us for different forumns from purchases.

Jim

See Andre beat me buy a couple seconds tongue.gif

#10 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:38 PM

If you remember, when I first tried to post pictures in the screen shots area of the Piedmont Northern and made a fool of my self for the first time here, I know, I have gotten good at doing that by now, anyway, it was before I had made a purchase and the browse button was not visible until after I had and sent my name to Marc. About an hour or so later, everything had changed and other areas were now visible, as was the browse button for posting pictures. blink.gif blush.gif rolleyes.gif

Paul

#11 ChiliLine

ChiliLine

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE(pnrailway @ Jul 9 2004, 11:18 PM)
I had the same problem until I bought something from Marc and he reset the forum setting to allow me access to the F Unit section. After that I saw the browse button under the posts in the screen shoot and other areas.

Hmm. I can't argue with someone who's giving me something for free - well, I guess I could - there are certainly enough people who do it, but I'd have a hard time bringing myself to argue with that logic.

If nothing else, I'll just refer folks to that other forum if I've got an image to share.

So far I think I've ruled out browser settings, firewall, and browser. I've tried different combinations of each, with no luck. So it may be a premium service. dry.gif Life in the cheap lane, I guess. tongue.gif

Andy

#12 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 11:36 PM

Paul is absolutely correct. It is a premium service. I assume that was the way Marc set it up a long time ago. Whether he changes it or not of course is up to him, but that is what is happening. So, no need to check your browser or shut off your firewall or virus software etc.

#13 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 04:59 AM

My comments earlier in this thread were spawned by my experience as a forum operator myself. Although I have attachments in my forum globally authorized for all registrants, I have the ability to remove the attachment privilege from anyone who abuses it.

Likewise, I can enable attachment authorization on a per-user or per-group basis just as Marc can. In addition, I have full control of how large an attachment an individual may be authorized and what kinds of attachments are allowable.

Attachments take storage, and with (some) people abusing it by posting 15 screenshots at once where one or two would suffice (I see lots of that here), controls of forum attachments to protect it are essential to thoughtful management.

Also, there are still many screenshot posters who do not understand how to control the .jpg compression options and who end up with an 800x600 .jpg of huge size. There is absolutely no excuse to have an 800x600 .jpg exceed 125K, and certainly most can be created and be perfectly clean and clear at less than 100K.

I have had people posting 600K+ screenshots in previously managed forums who became indignant and insulting when their abilities with their graphic software was challenged.

Yes. You must have Marc's permission and authorization to post photos here although anyone can post attachments in my forum--including large screen captures of up to 1600x1200 (without interfering with thread readability). Just be warned, if it's not at least a 50% .jpg compression, I'll either delete it, fix it, or remove the authorization to post attachments in my forum. And as I said elsewhere, I watch all that goes on in there. Hourly.

What I offer as software and forum access is free. No ads. I also have no paying customers and won't pussyfoot around when it comes to cleaning house.

#14 Guest_cyberjim_*

Guest_cyberjim_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2004 - 07:33 AM

To you guys that don't have a browse button visible--you can do like I do most of the time and upload your pictures to a free web space server somewhere online--(I use photobucket.com)--then you can hotlink the pic from the freeware server directly to your post. Its real easy to do!! I figured out how to hotlink pics and can post pics anywhere now!!

#15 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:03 AM

Good point Jim, however, there's a caveat.

Whereas the administrator of a forum can throttle both uploaded image size and dimension allowances, linking to an off-site image (if allowed), can really muck up a thread's readability.

Let's suppose a thread has 10 or more posts in it and all is well. Suddenly, someone jumps in the thread and adds a off-site hosted photo to be displayed in-line, that's a full 1024x768 or some size larger than 800x600. Admittedly in this circumstance file size doesn't matter to the forum host BUT IMAGE SIZE DOES!.

What happens? Well, every person trying to read the text in the thread must NOWscroll left and right across every message in the thread to read the text—even if their monitor is at the 1024x768 resolution because there is some width overhead on the left for the avatar and info and on the right for the scrollbar.

Those posting pictures into forum threads need to be aware of these things. It's not rocket science, certainly, but you would be amazed how difficult it is to manage a high-traffic forum where these things are constantly happening.

What ultimately results is that the forum, thread, (or both), become a sort of graphic school and the continuity of exchange is lost and the thread(s) drift so far off-topic people quit reading and/or participating. The screenshot forum on this board is a good example. I no longer bother with it.

Very little wonder most forum managers do not allow greenhorns attachment privileges. Don't intend to seem or sound harsh or uncaring but my forum, at least, is not a school in which to learn how to size and post images and frankly Marc's isn't either. There are other boards and forums better suited to that by design.

#16 Guest_cyberjim_*

Guest_cyberjim_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:22 AM

I understand Mike--the server I use has a per file limit of 250k--but as a general rule, I try to size all my post pics to 1024x768 or smaller, as most internet users are on a 15 to 21 inch monitors or smaller presently. It looks pretty goofy on my 25 incher!! As a side note--Mike is correct, check any posting rules per each forum as to what the file size limits are and the maximum resolution allowed!!

#17 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:35 AM

You're sure correct, Jim.

What I've done is to modify my forum with an attachment modification so that no matter what dimension size the user attaches, only an automatically generated thumbnail appears in the message body. When the reader hovers, they get the pointy finger and if clicked the full sized attached image launches in a new window.

This allows any user to attach any size image without fear of mucking up readability of the thread.

Unfortunately, it opens the door for all those ,jpg files uploaded by the graphic challenged who don't realize and/or don't know how to properly compress .jpg files for web resolution and I have seen attachments in the past which exceed half a Meg each! Just two of those, and I have been robbed of a Meg of storage by an inexperienced greenhorn.

Intolerable.

And then there are those who link off-site (PhotoBucket) who can (and frequently DO) serve up a single image that renders hours of thoughtful typed responses unreadable. Those, I delete instantly and with no questions asked. As a payware purveyor, Marc is much more tolerant. Many here can be thankful I don't administer this board.

#18 Guest_cyberjim_*

Guest_cyberjim_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:43 AM

Ouch--don't punch me so hard!!

All I can reply is to recommend others run 1600x1200 res like I do--no left-right scrolling here!!

#19 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 09:38 AM

Sorry Jim. These comments were not directed to you or at you.

Your comments merely provided the stump. I stood on it. I don't recall any of your attachments in what I'd consider the inconsiderate/uneducated.

Please don't take my general comments personally. wink.gif

Big danger of posting without sugar coating your words, I've found—being misunderstood.

But you know what? 9 out of 10 forum admins would applaud what I've said.

#20 Guest_cyberjim_*

Guest_cyberjim_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2004 - 10:06 AM

I didn't take it as a jab Mike--just a joke!!--although I get borderline too big on some pics sometimes
To me--if i can keep file size below 100k, regardles of the res, then I'm happy.
Drive space is not a concern here with 2 250gig SATA's
Have a good one man, and I'll pic up that update for the night stations whenever its ready for distribution!!