Photo

General Musings...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#41 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 06:51 AM

Wasn't aware Nels had a server crash but know he honors an autor's request to have uploads removed so what you say about the evaporation makes good sense. You seem a skilled file wrangler and though I don't know how you handle your personal download archives, a modification date sort could bubble the old to the surface as you know.

Regarding the era, and possible upgrades, a tip of the hat to Andre for his great documentation. I have read the section several times to get it all to sink in. This latest read even gave me a couple more painting ideas.

#42 mquist

mquist

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 02:22 PM

Hey Jim.

As far as engines are concened 0-6-0, 0-8-0, 4-4-0, 4-6-0, 2-6-0, 2-8-0, 2-6-2, 2-8-0 were all in use in the late ninteenth centurey and the big fellas were just around the cornner. I know there were some 2-6-6-2's out just after the turn of the century. I've looked around and mot of the engine around are a bit too new looking.

As for coal cars - all wood 24' to 28' (32' at the outside) probably with truss rods. Actually Pressed Steel Car company was on the verge of introducing all steel hopers - I think EBT bout some NG hoppers from them in 1905? which lasted into the 50's and some are still servicable on the EBT.

Some one above mentioned milk on flat cars but milk would be more likely shipped on a morning passenger train or pass/freight mixed train that would cary passengers, mail and parishable stuff like milk, eggs, etc. Could use a baggage car or a special milk car. The phrase "Milk Run" comes from this sort of train. Anyway you need to keep the hot sun off the milk cans.

#43 Shaa

Shaa

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the info. After some googling came across a model of a 1900 coal car but I've never seen anything that even closely resembles it. There's some older European stuff but not much for the US besides the NG stuff.

Jim

#44 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 02:56 PM

Hi fella's!

In regards to the North Arkansas in the 1900's, the following engine types were on their roster:

4-4-0
2-6-0
2-8-0
4-6-0

On the North Arkansas during this time frame, coal was generally hauled in wooden truss rod gondolas and laboriously hand shoveled from the car into the coal bunkers. Typical gons of this type on the North Arkansas would be Frisco gons, seeing as the Frisco had good coal deposits on their line.

Most of the coal the North Arkansas used was regional in origin.

Shame about that wood stack on our ten wheeler, eh?

Andre

#45 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:10 PM

Boy, I just wish I had been more careful in the past or should I say have been more intelligent in the way I saved my files. I save everything I download, doesn't matter what it is, picture, program, train, you name it, but what I have done in the past is when the downloads file got to what I considered full, I just moved it all onto a CD and that was that. Well, not very smart. At least when you are trying to search for things. I have almost 100 of these disks. Yeah, I know, most of the stuff is no good anymore, like the programs, but what the heck. Anyway, going through them and trying to figure out what is what is a total nightmare. I do things differently now.....he finally got some intelligence......and keep programs from pics and these from train files, etc. but that is not helping me now. It is a daunting task to be sure but I am not giving up. I know I ran some engines that fit the bill for this route at one time so I know there are some that were made. By whom, I don't remember. Their numbers I don't remember but I do remember running them. Maybe I will get lucky and find them soon and then again I may find them two weeks from now, but I am going to find them or I am going to throw them all in the trash (not really, just a euphamism here).
I will find them and then let Mike know about them and see what we can do with them.
In the meantime interested in what you discovered Mike? Sounds good though. Will be looking forward to whatever comes of that. wink.gif

#46 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE(zhivago47 @ Jul 6 2004, 12:10 AM)
Well, not very smart. At least when you are trying to search for things. I have almost 100 of these disks. Yeah, I know, most of the stuff is no good anymore, like the programs, but what the heck. Anyway, going through them and trying to figure out what is what is a total nightmare.

I'd like to introduce you to the (Free) program I have used for years called CDOffline which is one of those jewels in the freeware crown which does not "register" itself.

With CDOffline, you have instant searchable access to your entire collection of CDs, regardless how many. It will even allow listing the contents of zip and rar files if you choose that option and on a per-cd basis if you like. tongue.gif

Once you have "fed" it all your discs, you can search/browse all of them at once with a Windows Explorer-like interface. It even can be set to automatically scan and eject a disc, which makes adding your collection easier.

The most difficult task is initially typing in the name you called the disc during the initial scanning sessions but that's a small price to pay for the service this great little program provides.

Try it, you'll like it. Highly recommended as essential.

Attached Files

#47 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:28 PM

Thanks Mike, sound like just the program I need. Might take me a while to get them all on but in the end will no doubt help in my searching. I appreciate that. Had never heard of that one and I am big on shareware and freeware programs. I use many and test out many and that's why I have so many disks. I always try to find the best program for what I am looking for. So I may try 20 different text programs before I decide on the one that works best for me. And the same with any others. Plus, I guess I am a shareware freak.....always have been even in my days before the internet when BBS was king. Oh oh, am telling my age here. Oh well. blush.gif rolleyes.gif

#48 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:23 AM

Yes, I remember well the BBS days and have memories of my long distance bills to prove my discovery of that greatest one of all in Pennsylvania somewhere, I think.

FWIW, we both have grandchildren older than Johnathan.

#49 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:59 PM

I just wanted to jump in here and say that I remember the days of BBS. The only type of messages you got were text...no photos or attachments. Yes, it's been a few moons since I was on a BBS...but I remember the days. And this is from a "kid" at the age of 27. Who himself has a kids that most likely will never know what it was like to live without the internet or email blink.gif . What a dark time in our world's history! laugh.gif

#50 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(zhilton @ Jul 7 2004, 06:59 PM)
The only type of messages you got were text...no photos or attachments.

True, no photos or "attachments," but tons of downloadable binary freeware and shareware files. Sort of where it all began . . .

#51 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:50 PM

Tons is right Mike. I ran a couple of BBS's in my day. There were several very good ones that did most of the work for you, thank goodness. Yeah, I ran up a few bills as well. Let's see how slow were those old dial ups? I remember being so happy when I bought my first very fast 28.8 modem. I was in BBS heaven. Geez. My broadband connection now is near 2.5, 2.8 mb/sec. I couldn't even fathom something like that back then. I remember downloading some programs I can now download in two minutes for several hours and perhaps all night. But, it was the beginning and it brought about what we have today so it was worth it. Been a long time now, hasn't it? Seems like only yesterday. Boy, am I getting old. Oh well, someone has to do it! sad.gif By the way, I have a grandson, four years old who not only signs in to AOL on his own but knows how to go to a site by typing in the http:// etc first. Man, those kids are going to be smart, as well as going way beyond my range of understanding of this media. I remember balking very much at leaving DOS for Windows. Took me forever before taking the plunge. Well into Windows 98 before I would. But, thank goodness I learned on DOS as it has got me through a good many problems from time to time, when others not knowing DOS would have just given up and taken their computer to someone to fix! Let's see, one of the best programs back then, as I recall was List. It listed all the files in folders. Very handy. Remember that one Mike? I am sure you do. Oh well, feeling very old right now. So will quit before I think I am dead! blush.gif unsure.gif sad.gif

#52 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE(zhivago47 @ Jul 7 2004, 10:50 PM)
Remember that one Mike? I am sure you do.

That would be Nat Martino's brainchild, Directory Scanner. How could I (or anyone) forget! It's still with me and is one of the first programs installed on any old DOS machine that falls into my grubby hands.

Thanks for the memories Tim!
CODE
#a#b#c#d#e#f#g###################################### C:\DIR2 ##################
# c:\                            # backup  .exe | finder  .com | guts    .zzz #
# |-dir1                         # create  .com | finder  .exe | help    .def #
# |-dir2                         # dump    .asm | finder  .obj | killer  .com #
# | |-sub1                       # dump    .exe | guts    .asm | print   .com #
# | | +-subsubno.1               # dump    .obj |>guts    .com<| qsort   .exe #
# | +-sub2                       # eater   .bas | guts    .exe | vdisk   .sys #
# +-dir3                         # eats         | guts    .obj | zoo     .bas #
#   +-dir31                      # eatz    .bat |              |              #
#     +-direct32                 #              |              |              #
#       +-direct33               #              |              |              #
#         +-direct34             #              |              |              #
#           |-direct341          #              |              |              #
#           +-direct342          #              |              |              #
#                                #              |              |              #
###############################################################################
Total: 10,456,123 | Help=?  Name ^ | Files: 22   Used: 137,354        Tagged: 0
Used:   8 000,000 | Free Core 146K | ----name---- --size-- -date--  -time- attr
Free:   2,456,123 | Drive 80% Full | guts    .com   17,123 10Aug85   4:36p r  a

#53 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:25 PM

He he he. Can't believe you still have it. Are you still running a Dos machine as well? What size is it? My first one was an 8088. That's going back a ways. Which DOS version. Let's see, I think my favorite was 3.3. Gosh, those were the days, huh? I never dreamed we would get to these days and these size computers. A little out of practice with DOS, but I bet I could remember it if I had to. BBSing was a lot of fun. When I moved to Mobile, AL I really got a lot of members. Prior to that I was in Maine and they just weren't computer savvy up there. Brings back some great memories. Oh, well, telling our ages but those that never experience that don't know what fun that was. Just setting up the board was fun for me. But, sitting here now, I cannot recall what program I used. And I should remember that. Irks me that I can't. Oh well. Was fun back then anyway.

#54 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE(zhivago47 @ Jul 8 2004, 11:25 PM)
Are you still running a Dos machine as well? What size is it? My first one was an 8088.

History shows MS-DOS 6.22 as the favorite and I will agree although DR-DOS has stolen that crown.

No, I don't have a DOS machine now. My last one of those was a Toshiba T-2100 someone was throwing away. It worked on the external power supply but needed a battery, which was more than US$100. Having no real use for it, I sold it at a garage sale for $5 rather than mess with eBay (which I had countless times with many other things I determined to be of value to someone). wink.gif

#55 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 11:13 PM

Yeah, 6.22. was good. I used it. Didn't care for Dr. Dos, despite the numbers. Actually, I do have a DOS machine in the cellar. It's an original IBM 286, very large, but very nice machine. I bet it would still run. I was told once, a long time ago not to get rid of it as it was worth some money. But doubt it is worth much now. But one never knows. I will keep it though. Think it has DOS 3.3 on it.

Anyway, I kind of like where we are at now, but did enjoy cutting my teeth on BBS's and DOS. Was fun then!