Photo

SD-90s Released

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• Sacramento Locomotive Works
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:41 PM

For those that have not heard as of yet the SD-90s that Kyle has been working on for so long have been released.
They come with a custom cab, rotating roller bearings, rotating fans and the custom sounds will be completed soon.
You may find these marvelous additions to Train Simulator at the following link.

EMD SD-90s

IPB Image

There are 3 Real liveries:

CEFX, Canadian Pacific and Union Pacific

As well as 3 bonus ficticious liveries:

BNSF, DRGW and SP

#2 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:07 PM

Update 1

There have been some errors that were brought to our attention as well as some that we found on our own.
These are going to be updated in the coming weeks with either patches or a completely new .s file.
When this takes place all who have purchased will be given the link to the fix.

These errors include:
1) Correctly placed ditch lights on the CEFX and CP units
2) MU holders on the UP units with the ditch lights mounted below the porch.
3) Handles on the door of CP units and maybe the reflective sticker on the door as well (they are not on every engine, maybe one with and one with out)

#3 Steve

Steve

Station Clerk

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 04:04 PM

I have a question are updates done yet to make these TRUE SD90's ?
or i will wait until it's done could you let me please.

Steve blink.gif
Blind Bay B.C.

#4 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 10:08 PM

Looks very nice Erik, my congrats to Kyle and his work. And those are all very minor problems that I am sure you will fix very quickly. Kind of tough being exacting when you are doing so many different liveries so I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. We all know they will be taken care of.

By the way, the steam engines that you displayed on another thread you said were for a route. What route is that or did I miss you saying something about it? Forgive my stupidity but just don't recall seeing it anywhere.

Thanks guys.

Tim

#5 DuxDucis

DuxDucis

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE(zhivago47 @ Jun 20 2004, 01:08 AM)
Kind of tough being exacting when you are doing so many different liveries so I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.

Tim,

Any company better be exacting if you have a line like this on your website

"We do thorough research and gather as much information as possible before beginning a project."

Taken from http://www.sacrament...om/mission.html

I'm not becoming a customer until those items are fixed and the sounds delivered. Buyer beware...

#6 BLW_1946

BLW_1946

Commissioner

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 03:14 PM

well, I may not be as hard to please as some, but I've been enjoying the sd90s for some time now. to each his own... cool.gif

#7 wpfan

wpfan

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:58 PM

Well since Erik is away from home more often than not, I'll attempt to take care of this one. Personally I didn't have much to do with the SD90 project, as a steam entusiast I could pick one out of a line-up but as for small details that's about it. The SD-90 project was a side project of sorts that is pretty much the exclusive domain of Kyle, I can not speak for him or when updates done. I can't comment much on the authenticity of the 90's since I'm a person who could not tell an SD60 from an SD70. SLW was founddd as a modeling group to model durring the early stages of the steam-diesel transition era, ehich is where most of our efforts and research is aimed at. The amount of money that has been spent at the California State Railroad Museum Library on research for the Cal-P route is staggering, I won't go into exact amounts but it is 4 digits. As for the sounds on the 90s, we lost our soundman recently to the Army Reserve, and with a combat MOS he'll more than likely be seeing the Middle East before too long. With the exeption of this project most, if not all of our future releases will be centered around the techonlogy of the 1950s. The upcoming California Shortlines pack, although modern in era, will feature locomotives of our favored time period.

Personally I'm used to modelling the steam era where every single locomotive was a hair different after a couple of years in service, I have several books on SP steam switchers and would be hard pressed to find two that look exactly the same. If you have any further questions or comments feel free to forward them to us. I can be reached at chris@sacramentolocomotiveworks.com.

#8 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:30 PM

Andrew, I am not going to argue with you, but it does say "as much as possible" . But I am not going to quibble over generalities. I am not into this era of trains so I don't have the model. I prefer steam and then early diesel but the bottom line is that it is your perogative not to purchase their equipment but it doesn't necessarily mean that you should come on here and dissuade others from doing so. All I am saying is, no matter what you quoted, no one is perfect. And now you know the reason for the sound problems. They have lost their man to the military, let's hope temporarily for more reasons than one here. So there are reasons for not everything going as should be. But, as my good buddy Tim B said, he has it and is enjoying it. Perhaps others would as well, so please don't come on here and discourage the sale of it because you want it to be perfect. Nothing is perfect....nothing!
This is just my opinion. Why can't we just look on what is good about something rather than what isn't so good or perfect? I have never understood that. Especially when you have a choice of buying it or not buying it. What is the purpose of making that kind of statement is all I want to know? Listen Andrew, I like and respect you. I have never had any problems in dealing with you or anything you have done but I just don't think your comments are helpful here. If you have a problem with SLW then you should just email them with it. This is not that other forum you know! Let's keep that forum over there where it belongs! wink.gif

#9 DuxDucis

DuxDucis

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:11 PM

I'm interested in this era of railroading, so perhaps I that's why it appears to be such a major feature to me, maybe a steam fan wouldn't notice or not mind. In my opinion it is not acceptable if the ditchlights are in the wrong place. I feel that is a major feature on the CPR and CEFX units that should have been included in the initial release. If anyone didn't include a MARS light on a Southern Pacific unit I would say the same thing. These are defining features, I'm not going to pay for something that doesn't represent the protoype accurately, note I did not say perfectly. If you don't think so, then thats fine...it's my money I'm spending after all.

This forum has it's own set of problems. I don't post much here because unless you are one of the "in crowd", you get hammered for postings items like I did here and in the Dekosoft forums. If people can post about how good the units look, then I have no problem pointing out issues that could be improved on, or peharps dissention is not tolerated over at "this place". Maybe you like it over here, but there isn't too much for me here. I guess we all have our own preferences.

#10 CWorth

CWorth

Track Layer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 12:19 AM

This set will be a must grab for me when I finally get some money to start putting toward some payware items.I would buy those units in as is condition even with the problems as they are so well done.I am not one who is able to tell one engine from another yet so I would not even take notice to the areas that are incorrect.Look forward to seeing more from you guys. smile.gif

#11 BLW_1946

BLW_1946

Commissioner

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE(DuxDucis @ Jun 26 2004, 01:11 AM)
I'm interested in this era of railroading, so perhaps I that's why it appears to be such a major feature to me, maybe a steam fan wouldn't notice or not mind. In my opinion it is not acceptable if the ditchlights are in the wrong place. I feel that is a major feature on the CPR and CEFX units that should have been included in the initial release. If anyone didn't include a MARS light on a Southern Pacific unit I would say the same thing. These are defining features, I'm not going to pay for something that doesn't represent the protoype accurately, note I did not say perfectly. If you don't think so, then thats fine...it's my money I'm spending after all.

This forum has it's own set of problems. I don't post much here because unless you are one of the "in crowd", you get hammered for postings items like I did here and in the Dekosoft forums. If people can post about how good the units look, then I have no problem pointing out issues that could be improved on, or peharps dissention is not tolerated over at "this place". Maybe you like it over here, but there isn't too much for me here. I guess we all have our own preferences.

Andrew,

my response was meant as an observation, nothing more. it's been stated before that the minor problem of the ditch light placement would be resolved. I see CP Rail trains pass here several times a day, and I'm quite happy to have a reasonable approximation of what I see out my back window. my opinion on this matter is no more or less valid than yours. I only posted to add balance to the thread...

I think some of us are prone to miss the beauty of the forest by concentrating on a single imperfect tree, but that's the kind of person I try to be - one who sees the big picture and both sides of a story...

FWIW - there is no 'in group' here. and we don't all agree on every issue. imagine that...

don't let a minor difference chase you away...

Tim B

#12 moose49

moose49

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 06:23 PM

ph34r.gif

I to have purchased the 90's and am quite happy with them. Added and sound package from elsewhere until Kyles come out and the ditch lights just aren't a problem they look great even with a minor deviation from prototype. Just remember it's a game #$%@#$$it . blush.gif

#13 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 09:25 PM

his forum has it's own set of problems. I don't post much here because unless you are one of the "in crowd", you get hammered for postings items like I did here and in the Dekosoft forums.

Well, this is certainly news to me! I am with you Tim, I wasn't aware of there being any "in crowd" here. I thought we were all the "in crowd"!

Listen Andrew, you have every right to not purchase what you feel isn't up to par. And you do have a right to say that something is wrong with the models, but you obviously missed the thread where it was said that there were minor problems and they would be corrected. At least give them the benefit of the doubt here. No one said everything was perfect but why come here and say what you said in the manner that it was said unless you were trying to cause discord? Every one of us here has a PM and an email attached. All you have to do is use it for problems like these. If you had used this method to complain about the model to Kyle or Erik, I am sure you would have received a response from them explaining the situation to you and what they were doing to resolve it. I have used the PM and email so many times on this entire forum it isn't funny. I just think that is where these kind of things belong. As others have stated after your response, they have purchased it and like it because they don't know the difference and really don't care. Your reply might have discouraged those sales and may have done that to others ready to purchase it. That is all I am trying to say here. Don't discourage others because you have a problem with something.

And there is no "in crowd" here. The "in crowd" thing is in that other forum, not here. Perhaps you like that place better. If you do, you have my utmost sympathy. Andrew, please PM me with specifics of the problems you have had here and with whom. Seriously. I would like to know. But not here. PM me, ok? Let's get this straightened out so it doesn't continue and keep you away from here in the future. No, I am not the boss here but I will PM him with your specific problems and see if they can't get resolved. WE ALL have the perrogative here. WE ALL are the "in crowd". You are a member, that makes you part of the "in crowd" too, remember that!

#14 jones177

jones177

Senior 2-D Artist

• Dekosoft
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 02:37 AM

Hi DuxDucis

I can't find the Dekosoft post that you had a problem in.
Could you please point it out to me so I can address the issue?

Later

#15 BLW_1946

BLW_1946

Commissioner

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE(jones177 @ Jun 27 2004, 04:37 AM)
Hi DuxDucis

I can't find the Dekosoft post that you had a problem in.
Could you please point it out to me so I can address the issue?

Later

http://www.3dtrains....19&t=4057&st=20

regarding the color shading on Pete's BNSF heritage1 units...

#16 jones177

jones177

Senior 2-D Artist

• Dekosoft
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 05:00 PM

Thanks

Yes. Pete likes the one's with the green oxidized out, so he left them out. People that do sets for Dekosoft can make those decisions. DuxDucis has every right to point it out. But it is up to Pete whether he does one or not.
When I did the CNW set, the colors were matched to photographs even though in real life the locos were darker. I did it because 98% of my costumers never saw these 70s paint jobs, only the photos. On the UP set I covered every shade of fade I could, trying to keep as many people as possible happy. Anyone who likes them in new paint would not have been happy.

I would like to see the updates to the 90s as well. But it is up to Kyle whether he wants to do them or not.

These 90s have replaced units that have been on my computer since 2001. They are the best SD90s you can get now and since they cost about the same as dinner for 2 at McDonalds I can’t complaint much can I. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Later

#17 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:54 PM

Well, thank you Mr. Baldwin for pointing out that it was I who Andrew had the other problem with as well. huh.gif
Hmmm. Well, ok Andrew, my apologies for not remembering that, and therefore I guess that since it was me in the first instance then I can only assume that I am one of the "in crowd". Thanks for giving me that much credit and clout. Wish it were true. No, serious, as I stated before, there is no "in crowd" here. What bothers me then is that you seem to have a lot of problems with the models that you propose to buy or have bought here. So why keep coming back then? And why keep making public criticisms. See this is what I have a problem with, and it wouldn't matter if it was you Andrew or anyone else. This is something that needs to be taken up with either the modeller or his boss, not with the entire forum. Or if it is taken up, it can be done constructively instead of destrutively. I am against destructive criticisms for one very good reason. I am not doing the reskin or model and therefore I have no right to say that publicly not knowing the circumstances of why the model is painted the way it is or why it is missing or has too many mars lights, etc. My only recourse is to either decide to purchase or not to purchase, or if purchased already, find out if there is going to be a fix or pm the group and see what they have to say about the matter or even ask for a refund. The recourse I should not take is to make a scene about it publicly and discourage others, who might enjoy the model, to not purchase it. Doesn't seem right to me to do that.

Anyway, Bryan has answered your Dekosoft question and your question here has been answered for the time being. I hope that satisfies you. And I apologize for not remembering the other posts between each other. And no, I am not the enforcer here nor of the in crowd, but I read every single post on this forum and when I see something I feel is either wrong or something that should be said in private, I respond to it. I try to do it as civilly as possible. You see I am an artist, seriously, or was, and I am a reskinner, so I take these kind of things rather personally. Perhaps I shouldn't, but I do. I know how hard it is to create a piece of work and to see someone come on and criticize it without even finding out why it was done that way is something that bothers me. Perhaps I shouldn't let it. But it does. And also, these people are my friends and work very hard at their crafts so I give them as much benefit of the doubt in their work as I can. I am not perfect, I don't expect them to be either.

And again, I apologize Andrew for not remembering that it was I who posted the reply to you in the Dekosoft area. Hmmm. Not doing well with you am I? Ah well. I still maintain that these problems you seem to have with the modeling should be kept as much in private as possible. If the shoe were on the other foot, I think you would prefer that as well. I always look at things from the other shoes perspective. Makes my perspective much more enlightening.

#18 BLW_1946

BLW_1946

Commissioner

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE(zhivago47 @ Jun 28 2004, 01:54 AM)
Well, thank you Mr. Baldwin for pointing out that it was I who Andrew had the other problem with as well. huh.gif

wasn't fingerpointing, Tim - just remembered that there had been some criticism of Pete's BNSF skins that was much in the same nature as the criticism of Kyle's sd90s, and I posted the link for Bryan's benefit. Everyone has their own valid opinions, but sometimes in print the criticism appears a lot harsher than it is intended. I think that's the case here on both sides...

Tim B

#19 Genma Saotome

Genma Saotome

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:45 AM

Everyone has their own valid opinions, but sometimes in print the criticism appears a lot harsher than it is intended.

I believe the consumer has the final say on value and quality and clearly the earlier post by DuxDucis expressed that. I'm fine with that. No problem at all.

But I was disturbed by the segue from legitimate consumer opinion into what I perceived as a speculative conclusion on research methods and then onwards into advocacy because the expressed conclusion can be read as a smear on the character of everybody at SLW -- sort of a round about way of saying everybody at SLW is out to pull the wool over your eyes so beware. I don't see any less harsh way to intreprete the text. I can concede that perhaps it was written in a momment of pique and on another day might not have been phrased that way and on that optimistic basis I think I can set it aside. But having started let me make a point or two....

Speaking as one who does some work on behalf of SLW I've had an opportunity to talk and work with these folks and I know such a negative conclusion is quite far from my own impressions. I'll stop at that.

As for research... I'll speak for myself: It takles a lot of time and you never get it all done. I do research and route design. I've placed over 14,000 markers on the two routes I work on and I know that when I'm done with the markers the final number will be over 20,000. I have over 500 maps on hand for these two routes. I take field trips. Heck, I take pictures just of dirt so I can color sample them and do justice to the textures I'll use on different patches of ground. And so on. And I'm not the only person doing this research, nor am I the only person contributing shapes and textures to the routes. I know there will be mistakes and I know they'll be pointed out (with varying degrees of politeness). Some will love these routes and others won't like them at all. It's just the way things are when you build something and offer it up to others.

My point is it just isn't possible to get everything right. Can't be done. But a whole lot of time is being spent to get as much right as is possible.

I'll get off my soapbox now... I just wanted to get that out on the record.

#20 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:00 PM

I go away for a few days and I return to chaos, although I thank those of you who are deending the SLW name.

Now, I see that I need to go over this with Andrew once again.
The problem is being fixed.

Furthermore Andrew, I do not know of any "In Crowd" here. However if someone falsely accuses another of something they will be defended. The same thing happens over at Flame Sim...........OH did I say that, I meant to say Train-Sim.

Now to everyone else concerning the updates.......
Kyle has had some personal issues to deal with and since these are his babies, I am not going remove him from the project. So there will be a little bit more of a delay until the updates are fully completed. I appologize for the delay.