Photo

Kyle's SD90

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#21 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• Sacramento Locomotive Works
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:54 PM

Don,
I have an email into Kyle and will let you and everyone else know when we know something.

#22 Sawblade5

Sawblade5

Mechanic

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 10:35 PM

Has there been any progress on the Ditch light bug (They need to be on top on 4300 HP versions, not bottom)?

#23 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:11 PM

Chris
The update is nearly finished. We are fixing all the errors at the same time before we release the fix.

#24 AlGarrison

AlGarrison

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:42 PM

With Dan off to the military, will the sound upgrade still be forthcoming?

BTW I love the units. I've been running UP power on Rollins Pass and I'm very pleased with both appearance and performance.

Al

#25 ckawahara

ckawahara

Conductor

• Beta Tester
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:59 AM

Hi Kyle .....

Can you fill us in on any progress towards the sound file upgrade?

Craig

#26 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 04:33 AM

Hey hallo!

Just wanting to ask about the sounds.... it's been a while... wink.gif

Thanks for any info... biggrin.gif

#27 cnw8717

cnw8717

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 10:07 AM

Also what about the Ditch Light Locations the CEFX units?

cnw8717

#28 CNRail

CNRail

Stationmaster

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 02:42 PM

CEFX's ditchlights are located on the front platform.

http://www.railpictu...to.php?id=80264

#29 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 03:34 PM

We know where they are located at. This has been gone over multiple times and thank you for your input.

The SD90s are Kyle's creation and last he told me, the patch was complete but he was not going to release an update until he finished working on the sounds. In addition to his MSTS activities, he works 70 plus hours, has a 3 or 4 year old and has house work to keep up on. This means his time is spread extremely thin, but he will eventually complete the sounds and release an upgrade.

#30 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 06:46 PM

I know it is nice to have money and all by working that many hours a week, but take it from someone who used to work up to 80 hours a week. It ain't worth it! It will end up killing you early or making you disabled like me. Sounds like you need a maid there as well. Hmmmm. Well, good luck to you Kyle, but trust me, once you get to be my age you will wonder why you worked your butt off for nothing. Spend as much free time as you can while you can playing with that three year old or with trains or whatever, but don't kill yourself just for the money. I have regretted all that time I spent working ever since becoming disabled. I have nothing to show for it but lost family time and aches and pains that will never go away now. Just some advice from someone who has been there is all. wink.gif

#31 locolover63

locolover63

Track Layer

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE(zhivago47 @ Nov 24 2004, 08:46 PM)
I know it is nice to have money and all by working that many hours a week, but take it from someone who used to work up to 80 hours a week. It ain't worth it! It will end up killing you early or making you disabled like me. Sounds like you need a maid there as well. Hmmmm. Well, good luck to you Kyle, but trust me, once you get to be my age you will wonder why you worked your butt off for nothing. Spend as much free time as you can while you can playing with that three year old or with trains or whatever, but don't kill yourself just for the money. I have regretted all that time I spent working ever since becoming disabled. I have nothing to show for it but lost family time and aches and pains that will never go away now. Just some advice from someone who has been there is all. wink.gif

When you work for the railroad, you work when they tell you to. He doesn't have the option of going to work when he feels like it. When they call, you go, and UP has a lot of freight trains to run. It wouldn't surprise me if he he's getting 6 hours of sleep for every 12 hour shift he works. blink.gif

#32 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 02:32 AM

Wasn't suggesting that he could take time off when he wants. I couldn't either, but there are other jobs that don't require that much time working. Of course if he likes the work then it will not bother him as much, and if he is getting six hours sleep on a twelve hour shift then that is good too. But one can get old real fast working so much. I know. Just some thoughts on the hours worked post is all. From experience! wink.gif

#33 locolover63

locolover63

Track Layer

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE(zhivago47 @ Nov 28 2004, 04:32 AM)
Wasn't suggesting that he could take time off when he wants. I couldn't either, but there are other jobs that don't require that much time working. Of course if he likes the work then it will not bother him as much, and if he is getting six hours sleep on a twelve hour shift then that is good too. But one can get old real fast working so much. I know. Just some thoughts on the hours worked post is all. From experience! wink.gif

I understand, I didn't mean to come off sounding pissy, sorry about that. I worked as a corrections officer for 10 years, my private time was very important me. It sounds like Kyle is loving his job, though. But you are 100% right that all those hours can make you old quick. Happy Holidays! biggrin.gif

#34 Engineer_Kyle

Engineer_Kyle

3DTrains Modeler

• 3DTrains Crew
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 08:59 PM

Howdy guys, I'm back! No problems on the questions even if some have been repeated.... it's all good.
I actually don't work for the railroad, I work as an assistant manager at Walgreens. I have a minimum requirement of 44 hours a week and my shifts are always changing. There have been sometimes that I work about 50 hours a week, especially during busy times of the season like the holidays. I also just got back from a four day vacation for Thanksgiving which was a good break.
So with driving an hour each way to and from work, I'm gone about 54 hours a week minimum. It really is hard to balance time for work, family, and msts with the remaining hours of the week!
The other bad thing is the current release of Halo 2
Damn you Microsoft! tongue.gif

#35 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 11:09 PM

Aha, now the truth comes out! Caught you Kyle. Halo, huh! Hmmm! Well, I am sure that as soon as Kyle gets done playing around with Halo, you guys will get your sounds! Tsk Tsk Tsk........You need to learn to stretch the truth my friend..... ohmy.gif blink.gif ph34r.gif laugh.gif

#36 exether_mega

exether_mega

Stationmaster

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:09 AM

Hello Kyle,

it's good to hear from you smile.gif

Take care.

phil

#37 JRaptor

JRaptor

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:03 AM

I was late getting these as I have been out of MSTS for over a year, I ordered them and it took more than 48 hours to get the link to dl them!

I am going to be totally honest here; these are not payware quality locomotives! First of all there should be an installer, you should not have to manually put these into your MSTS folder, and secondly the skin is not that good, that and the fact that the sounds are aliased to the default dash9 make these locos no better than any freeware stuff out there!

I think the lighting could use some work also!

However, I do like the cabview.

Sorry if this upsets anyone but I must be honest, hopefully some of these issues can be fixed with a patch.

#38 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:26 AM

I do not see why a payware locomotive absolutely needs to have an installer. Personally I prefer to extract the files into a temporary folder before in order to see what's actually been installed there and if needed to make the necessary adjustments needed. blink.gif

As far as the quality of the model goes. I agree with you, it is a shame that there is still no custom sounds available. As far as the model goes, you should also consider the vintage of the original model. When it first came out it was / is an awesome model. smile.gif

You should also see that the author of the model has a life in the "real world" too... wink.gif

I still use it and quite like it.

Edited by sstyrnol, 10 March 2005 - 02:27 AM.

#39 exether_mega

exether_mega

Stationmaster

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:12 AM

And I like it too !

Take care.

phil

#40 sburr

sburr

Porter

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:28 AM

I'll second that! They are very good locomotives, even w/o the sounds, which I'm sure Kyle will be able to get to shortly. I know the feeling of having to work long hours, coming home and not feeling like doing anything else, especially after a workweek like his.