Photo

What do you like about MSTS?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#21 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

Registered Ferroequinologist

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE(yellowdog @ Feb 19 2004, 07:21 AM)
...Will Activity Master eliminate this problem?  Will it be able to tell which order the cars are supposed to go?  Thanks again!

Probably not, but the Readme.txt that the author/artist sends with the spine sets usually does. I have found that with the spine and well sets, and the schnabel cars, if I set them up once according to instructions, and save them as "such-and-such_loose.con," I then have a reference to build from. Either pull out the set, build around it, and rename the .con file, or if you want to use multiples, open the set with Wordpad, print it out, and use the printout as a reference to build the consist.

ADDED: Rich, elsewhere in this thread, you mention Ohio Rail build 11...I have 10; is there something later? Or something coming? (I hope) Since I downloaded it, I find myself spending more time on OHRR than SD&A! (Heaven Forbid!) laugh.gif

#22 trainfan36

trainfan36

Railfan

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 07:28 AM

I believe the easiest way to resolve that type of issue with the intermodal is making a specific classification for each set such as intermodalA, intermodalB etc etc whereas "A" would be the first car "B" the second car in say a 5 unit stack....that way you would still have the road name showing as well as to its placement, correct me if I am wrong Steve.............

#23 yellowdog

yellowdog

Just a grease spot on the L&N

• Beta Tester
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for the reply, John. I have read through the readmes included with those sets, but somehow always manage to get one of them turned around in the wrong direction, or get one out of order. Part of the problem for me has been the fact that some of them have very similar names, so I can usually find 2 or 3 out of the set, but then have to guess which ones the others are, or add a car that doesn't belong in the set (I wish people would give the rolling stock more specific names in the .wag/.eng files--I'm so tired of the 8 and 9 letter "alphabet soup" names!!). Making some loose consists to model from and then printing out the instructions is a good idea. Thanks!

#24 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 08:38 AM

Heya John (oldrailfan)

Build 11 was to be the last of three sections added to Ohio Rail. The first in build 9 was from Florence to Cambridge. The second section was from Cambridge to Zanesville (build 10). The third and so far incomplete is from Cambridge to Wheeling (build 11). Halfway through build 11 came the announcement of MSTS2 which put a halt to the build because nobody knows if anything will be compatiable with MSTS2. Back at the time, the release of MSTS2 was to be pretty soon. So alot of people stopped working on their routes, myself included. As time dragged on and MSTS2 never appeared, some folks began their work on their routes again. Instead I pursued the idea of creating a route with all objects in scale and photo textures. This eventually begat Canton.

From the beginning of Ohio Rail until Canton I had an idea that if Ohio Rail was to be believeable, there had to be a way to make the two routes competitive. I envisioned something fairly simplistic where the two routes would be competitive based on how much tonnage was delivered. After Canton I began writing the routines and from that Activity Enhancer was written.

Writing Activity Enhancer delayed Barkley quite a bit. Barkley is another small route but it's interurban which allows me to expand my library to help round out items I would need for both a rural and city settings. Eventually I hope to build longer routes without having to stop as much as I do now to build structures and vegetation. My goal is to eventually create a EMRR v2 and maybe one side of the Ohio Rail with these new objects.

A question alot of people ask is will Ohio Rail build 11 ever be completed. Alot of that depends on MSTS2. As long as the incompatibility rumors keep coming up, I'm real reluctant to pursue Build 11. Build 11 is also plagued with the white void problem in one of the most awful places it could happen. Right smack dab down the middle of a city; Salesville. If you go into build 10 and follow the route east out of Cambridge past the ghost town to the very end, the white void is just about 4 miles eastward. And that's the town of Salesville. Wheeling is about another twenty miles east from there. I had hoped in MSTS2 they would solve the white void problem.

The problem with the white void especially in a route like Ohio Rail is guess who is going to get all the emails about it? It ain't going to be MS, I assure you. With over 14,000 downloads of Ohio Rail currently, the number of emails about a problem I can't fix would be maddening.

So the dilemma of what to do with build 11 is perplexing. There's alot to be done even though I'm half way through it. But currently the only build available is build 10.

Rich Garber

#25 sgdavis

sgdavis

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE(yellowdog @ Feb 19 2004, 05:21 AM)
Conbuilder doesn't read ace files to show what the rolling stock looks like. It uses .jpg files. You have to make a screen shot of the particular piece of equipment, then save it as a .jpg with the same name as the .eng file. Then Conbuilder can read/display it.

I remembered what my 4) question was!

4) One of the things that drives me nuts is trying to get some of the intermodal spine and well cars sets to match up correctly. I love the way they look, but invariably I'll put them in an order that wouldn't work in the real world, i.e. one side won't have wheels, or something. Apparently this doesn't create problems for MSTS because the sim will still run, but it really screws up my pictures!! smile.gif Will Activity Master eliminate this problem? Will it be able to tell which order the cars are supposed to go? Thanks again!

Ok. ActivityMaster will be able to do that too, displaying .jpg files is pretty easy. Is there a naming convention ConBuilder requires, i.e. a .jpg file that's the same as the .wag or .eng file? That would make sense to me.

I have to admit my ignorance on the Intermodal spine cars issue. Right now I doubt ActivityMaster would account for that automatically, unless, you classified your cars in some manner, such as "intermodal-front", "intermodal-center" and "intermodal-rear", i.e. set up "types" like IMF, IMC and IMR. Then only replace cars that can be a "front" car w/ other "front cars, etc. Would that work, or am I missing the point?

Thanks!

Steve

#26 sgdavis

sgdavis

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(trainfan36 @ Feb 19 2004, 07:28 AM)
I believe the easiest way to resolve that type of issue with the intermodal is making a specific classification for each set such as intermodalA, intermodalB etc etc whereas "A" would be the first car "B" the second car in say a 5 unit stack....that way you would still have the road name showing as well as to its placement, correct me if I am wrong Steve.............

Yes! That's EXACTLY it! ActivityMaster would then only replace "A's" with "A's", etc. So, just manually build it right, once. Probably use codes like "IMA" "IMB" etc., or use the advice from my other post and go with "Front, Center and Rear".

Thanks for the great suggestion!
biggrin.gif

#27 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE(sgdavis @ Feb 19 2004, 11:27 AM)
Ok.  ActivityMaster will be able to do that too, displaying .jpg files is pretty easy.  Is there a naming convention ConBuilder requires, i.e. a .jpg file that's the same as the .wag or .eng file?  That would make sense to me.

Same name, different suffix. i.e.: myengine.eng and myengine.jpg, or mycar.wag and mycar.jpg. ConBuilder can also "read" .gif files if they are named in the same manner.

I have to admit my ignorance on the Intermodal spine cars issue.  Right now I doubt ActivityMaster would account for that automatically, unless, you classified your cars in some manner, such as "intermodal-front", "intermodal-center" and "intermodal-rear", i.e. set up "types" like IMF, IMC and IMR.  Then only replace cars that can be a "front" car w/ other "front cars, etc.  Would that work, or am I missing the point?

Flexible cars (six-packs, ten-packs etc.) have created lettering nightmares for the real roads, that has carried over into v-roads.
The basic problem is that the railroads have always designated the end of the car with the handbrake wheel as "B" and the other end "A." Since the flexible cars are semi-permanently connected, there had to be some way of designating the individual sections. The roads have kept the 'standard' of one end being A and the other B, and designated the sections between with additional letters. A five-pack well car would be designated either A-C-D-E-B, or A-E-D-C-B, depending on the owner or manufacturer.
Most of the modellers in MSTS have carried the same convention. You will usually find the sections labelled either A B C D E, A B C, or L C R. If they are labelled with all five letters, one of the combinations I mentioned above will usually make a "good" consist. For the three-piece sets, the arrangement is normally A-C-C-C-B or L-C-C-C-R.
Remember that they are modelled with wheelsets in certain places, and none of the sections should be reversed unless the modeller specifically says to reverse a section in the 'readme.' Also, unless the models are made by the same modeller, the sections may not be compatible between carsets.
Bottom line, as with so much of MSTS, is that you have to put a carset into a test consist, and keep moving sections around until you get one with the couplers on the ends and the wheelsets in the right place.

ADDED: Yellowdog, you can add a name line to a .wag file. I frequently find a comment ( ) line posted right after the title line that gives a pretty good description of the car.
i.e.:

SIMISA@@@@@@@@@@JINX0D0t______

Wagon ( 10000gal
comment( 10000gallon tankcar )

Using the Tab button push the comment line over until it aligns with the following lines.
Change comment to Name, add a space between the 'e' and the '(,' and place quotation marks around whatever is inside the parentheses so it looks like:

Wagon ( 10000gal
Name ( "10000gallon tankcar" )

Whatever is inside the quote marks is what you'll see listed for the car in Conbuilder

#28 yellowdog

yellowdog

• Beta Tester
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Steve and John! Steve--yeah, if your program could read a jpg and show a pic of the file, that would be awesome! John gave you the clue for how to do it, just give the .jpg the same name as the .eng or .wag and Conbuilder reads it fine (didn't know it also worked for .gif). It should be noted, however, that you have to right-click on the file, or click on a button, or something to get Conbuilder to show it--it doesn't just "show up" like in the AE.

John--I didn't know that about the name line. I knew it with .eng files, but not with .wag files. Thanks for the tip! Geez, now all I've got to do is go in there and enter it into all my .wag files. . . wacko.gif

#29 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(yellowdog @ Feb 19 2004, 02:07 PM)
John--I didn't know that about the name line.  I knew it with .eng files, but not with .wag files.  Thanks for the tip!  Geez, now all I've got to do is go in there and enter it into all my .wag files. . . wacko.gif

ohmy.gif Hope you don't have 800 or so like I do. (Actually, I named most of mine as I went along... when I get new rolling stock, before putting it on the road I open it to a work folder and make all the 'tweaks' and changes I like in my stuff wink.gif )
If the car doesn't have a comment or a name already included, you can add one in. It can be either in the header, (Between the line that starts: "Wagon (" and the line that starts: "Coupler ( ") or at the very end, on an added line just before or just after the Sound ("**.sms") line. but before the closing parenthesis.
Just remember, it is its own line and it looks like:

Name ( "Whatever I write between the quote marks will show" )

For Instance, at the beginning of a file:

Wagon ( [SW]-ribsup-00
{any line between here}
comment ( car v.3; .wag-file modified by Bob Boudoin )
Type ( Freight )
Name ( "[SW] UP 00 v3 ribside container car" )
WagonShape ( [SW]-ribside00.s )
Size ( 3.04m 6.05m 20.76m)
comment( 24.0 empty, 100.0 full )
Mass ( 24.0t )
WheelRadius ( 0.42m )
InertiaTensor ( Box (3.04m 6.05m 20.76m) )
{and here}
Coupling (

Or, at the end of the file:

MaxApplicationRate( 10 )
MaxAuxilaryChargingRate( 5 )
EmergencyResCapacity( 7 )
EmergencyResChargingRate( 5 )
EmergencyBrakeResMaxPressure( 110 )
BrakeCylinderPressureForMaxBrakeBrakeForce( 64 )

Sound ( "genpasswagsteam.sms" )
Name ( "Boxcar SP 215213 86'HiCube" )
)

Try to keep it around 20 characters or less, or it gets truncated by ConBuilder and AE Consist Editor. Wherever you insert it, 'tab' it over so the N in Name lines up with the lines above and below it. AND!! Remember to capitalize the "N" in Name, or MSTS ignores the name line!

Have Fun!!!

#30 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 10:11 PM

Hey, great information John. I wouldn't have thought of that. I get confused about what is what myself. Had no idea you could do that and get the information so easily. Now, of course it is a matter of going into the wag files and adding that line to them all! sad.gif Oh well, sure will make it easier for dolts like me who have no idea what a wagon is just by it's model. Thanks for the question Clayton.
You see, you learn something useful here everyday!

Steve, I have a question on your other program. Is it as easy to create activities with it as it seems to indicate? Because I have a real problem with doing so with the activity editor. Usually takes me so long I finally give up. Because if it is then I think I am going to get that one for sure. But you have to have the routes that are set up for it to work on, correct? Of course I run Ohio Route and I see it is there so that should be no problem. Thanks!

Rich, as pertains to version 11. Why is it that the white void problem is coming into play in that area? Has it something to do with Dems, or the size of the route or what? I am not quite up to par with that problem although I have certainly read about them and seen them in certain routes. What causes this? And why only in certain areas? I sure would like to see a completetion of version 11. If you went in another direction than the one you are on, say sidetrack, it wouldn't help? After all it is a fictional route, you certainly could do whatever you wanted to do with it. I would really like to see it as far as Wheeling, but I do know that you have other fish boiling in the kettle.
Just curious about this white void issue?

Thanks everyone for all of your help to my dumb questions! smile.gif

Tim

#31 yellowdog

yellowdog

• Beta Tester
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 06:55 AM

Yes, thank you John! You just created a ton of work for me!! smile.gif Sorry this thread got hi-jacked, but I think overall it turned out to be a perfect example of "why I love msts." smile.gif