Photo

Weekly Update 2/10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 09:25 AM

Been under the weather with some kind of virus... so unfortunately not a great deal of progress the last 48 hours.

However, in spite of a bout of the "Midnight Trots", over the past weekend through last night I've managed to get the first two activities ready to go.

The first two are tutorials, or, as named on the North Arkansas: "New Hire Run 1" and "New Hire Run 2". Basically, these are like the prototype's "student runs" and acclimate the "New Hire" to both ends of the line, along with pointing out some nuances along the way. (BTW, most of the crewmen you will be working with are based on railroaders I know or have worked with! smile.gif )

I strongly suggest starting with the above tutorials before you "Mark Up" and start running the "Employee" activities that will follow. Many of the subsequent activities will be fairly challenging and a working knowledge of railroading will be a help. In otherwords, I will not be scripting most activities to only have ONE way of accomplishing what needs to be done. Instead, as per the prototype, you will simply have a list of things that need to be accomplished... and it's up to you (as the crew) to figure out the best way to do it!

Oh, and I'm also trying to personalize each steamer as best as practical. That is, a steam engine is a very individulized beast, each one handles differently, and I'm trying to give each of the steamers used on the North Arkansas their own personality too. You'll learn soon enough about #2 in the way she... well... guess I'd best shut up about that and let you see for yourself!

All for now!

Andre Ming

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 08:14 PM

Soon as I put the finishing touches on the one I'm working on (Night Train), there'll be 4 activities ready to roll. Here's a running list of them, along with the short description:

New Hire Run #1:

"So you're a new hire on the North Arkansas, eh? Well, here's yer first student trip!"

New Hire Run #2:

"So you got yer first run under yer belt, eh? Well, I reckon' yer ready fer your next 'un!"

Rainey Day's & Monday's:

"Rainey Day's and Monday's always get'cha down? Well, it's a lousy day to be railroadin', but you're Marked Up now and on the payroll... so the works got to be done!"

Night Train:

"It's a cool, crisp Autumn night. You've finished a short layover at Berryville, now you've been called to run one all the way to Seligman. Come on Greenhorn, hop to it, Big Dog's a'waitin'... and you'd better keep yer steam up this time!"

Havin' fun in the Ozarks...

Andre

#3 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 08:57 PM

Sounds like fun to me. By the way, are you getting your scripting from Railroad Tycoon II? Either that or they got it from Arkansas. hehehe smile.gif
I have had a similar bug the last few days as well, just doesn't seem to want to go away either. It's this dang weather we are having this year I guess. Hope you are feeling better than I am and am eagerly awaiting the end product.
Sounds like a lot of fun and headaches! Great!!

Tim

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 11:35 PM

"By the way, are you getting your scripting from Railroad Tycoon II? Either that or they got it from Arkansas. hehehe"

Hm. Didn't know that. I've heard the name Railroad Tycoon, saw a pic or two, but never owned or saw any version of it in operation. Other than MSTS, I don't have time for any other computer "games".

Andre "Third Generation Ozarkian" Ming