Photo

Progress Update 2/3/04...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 08:42 PM

Things are winding down insofar as RE is concerned. The tdb is healthy as a can be, so hopefully no problems as I begin the Track Objects phase. Hope to start the final beta phase within a week or so.

If you'd like to see a couple pics, simply hit the link below. Have fun!

http://www.train-sim...mID15/2945.html

Andre

#2 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 09:41 PM

Awesome job Andre. Really looks like Arkansas too. I am really going to enjoy this route and running some of my steam engines on it. By, the way, this isn't narrow gauge is it?
And are you going to offering any units with the route?

Great looking route from what I have seen so far. smile.gif

#3 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 12:23 AM

Re: Is the North Arkansas narrow gauge?

No. At this point, the only way to do narrow gauge is XTracks or build one's own ng track system. XTracks has a restrictive EULA, so unless it's author has a change of mind, no narrow gauge payware routes will ever be available using XTracks, nor any other XTracks pieces.

Re: Will there be units released with it?

Unless I get in to permission snags, I plan to upload an Equipment Pack containing repainted freeware steam engine(s), along with several pieces of repainted rolling stock and a caboose. The Equipment Pack will be available to any/all through Train-sim.com. I will use only the equipment in the Equipment Pack for the activities. Once the freeware Equipment Pack is downloaded, no additional downloads will be necessary in order to run all VSC supplied activities.

BTW, thanks for your encouraging words, Tim!

Andre

#4 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:35 PM

No problem Andre, you are doing a heck of a job, believe me. I forgot about the xtracks thing. That's good though, not as many narrow gauge units out there as the other. It sounds great Andre. Have you got a tentative release date or is it too early yet? Keep us posted and give us a few more pics so we can drool over it, okay? wink.gif

My steam engines are just waiting in the wings getting all oiled and greased up, a fresh coat of paint, and the whole nine yards waiting for this route. smile.gif

Credit given where credit due, my friend!

Tim

#5 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:35 AM

> No problem Andre, you are doing a heck of a job, believe me.

Thanks again. The limitations of V scale route building means I have to make compromises. Some of them I'm not fully comfortable with, but that's the way it is. Mainly, it's the foresting issue. Anything more than rolling/shallow hills become tremendous resource eaters to fully forest in MSTS. A route running among mountains that range 500' (thereabouts) or higher above the railhead are nigh impossible to fully forest with trees (object count and resouce consumption). However, the worst problem is when the rails are that high (or higher) ABOVE a valley. No way to fully forest such a vista. So, creating the impression of forests will always be a compromise. Therefore it's heartening to hear that what you've seen thus far appears promising.

> That's good though, not as many narrow gauge units out there as the other.

I would love to do a payware narrow gauge route! I'm fascinated with the romance and drama of rugged narrow gauge railroading in Colorado during the Silver/Gold Boom era. (i.e. 1880's)

> That's good though, not as many narrow gauge units out there as the other.

Whew! Loaded question! I hesitate to state a specific target date, but it is definitely safe to say we're now talking weeks and not months. (Tonight I've been placing speed limits.) My next big hold up will actually not be route construction, but web related as I will have to take the time to learn my new web page software in order to create my V Scale Creations website.

> Keep us posted and give us a few more pics so we can drool over it, okay?

You can count on it!

Andre Ming

#6 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 11:13 PM

I've created many a web page Andre, perhaps I can be of help. Which program are you using to create your website? May I suggest a very good program that is very easy to use yet has a lot of stuff to use with it, and that is Namo Web Editor. Now it is not cheap, however they have a 30 day trial, with not restrictions, all works, and in that time you can set up a good web page. It is a WYSIWYG editor but not a cheapy looking one. You can still do your own HTML if you want but has a lot of nice looking ready to use backgrounds, buttons, etc. I have used it for all of my websites and I wouldn't go back to any other.
Just a suggestion. I have also used several other more traditional ones as well and I do know HTML fairly well. Anyway, if you need any help with it just let me know. The key to a good website it KISS, keep it simple stupid, if you know what I mean. No fancy flash animations, unless they are simple and not distracting, no flashy colors. Well, just look at Marc's, very well done and to the point, not too flashy but enough information on the first page to get you through the rest of them. Well placed pictures can add to the entire effect as well.
Anyway, if you need any help in this area, just let me know.

Tim

#7 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 11:38 PM

You'll never guess what website software I purchased! Yup... Namo WebEditor 5.5!

Great minds, perhaps? wink.gif

Thanks very much for the offer on the website. At this point, I plan to tackle it myself so that I can learn website building from the ground up. And yes, it will be simple and to the point. No flashing bulbs, sky rockets or brass bands, etc.

My plan of attack is to finish up the route, equipment and activities and get it all out to final beta. While waiting for the beta work, spend that time learning to set up my website. Finishing the route and its supporting cast is priority.

More later!

Andre

#8 moose49

moose49

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 01:29 AM

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This route is looking better all the time thanks for the frequent updates. It will be a must have on my computer. Good luck and keep up the nice work.

#9 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 10:08 PM

I am still laughing at that one Andre. I don't know about great minds but you made a very wise decision on purchasing that program. It is so easy to use it isn't funny and there are many things you can do with it.
Makes perfect sense to learn it on your own. I don't blame you, that is what I did. But if you do run into any snags I will be happy to help you out. Just wanted you to know that. I am sure with your creative abilities you will have a great looking site. No doubt in my mind.

Am so looking forward to the route and the website.

Great minds....lol, I am still roflmao on that one. wink.gif

Tim

#10 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 12:22 AM

Thanks all for holler'n "sic'em"!

Well, since the last go round...

Got all the speed limits in, got all the track names and platform names in... got some equipment folders roughed in... in fact, I think I can start creating activities within a couple days! Plus, I also reworked a portion of a town I just wasn't quite "satisfied" with... oh, and some more small object placement.

I been busy... eh?

Anyhoo...

Down below you'll see a couple of quick pics I thought it'd be fun to share.

First pic is while doing some switching at Walden... easing past stacks of lumber drying at the Butler Creek Lumber Mill drying yard.

Andre

Attached Files

#11 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 12:24 AM

Then a gander at one of the little mini-scenes I created during the rework... this bridge mini-scene didn't exist last night!

Oh, and you're hangin' out the cab window of the 3 Spot and soakin' up the Arkansas summer sun while backing around the north leg of the Walden wye.

All for now... gotta' get back to work.

Andre

Attached Files

#12 BLW_1946

BLW_1946

Commissioner

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 06:53 AM

I'm sure the locals appreciate the shortcut to the saloon - and it will definitely help expedite deliveries from the folks up in the hills... wink.gif