Photo

Which is your primary simulator?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Question for our customers...

Which is your primary simulator?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,090 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:17 AM

I've recently received several emails regarding Sherman Hill and Open Rails, and wanted to get an idea of the number of folks who prefer one sim over another. Thanks.

Cheers!
Marc

#2 MEBond

MEBond

New Hire

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

MSTS - I only use the activity, cab, and route editors. I run routes and create/edit activity paths in Open Rails. It's nice to be able to run a multi-hour activity in Open Rails without ET phoning home.

#3 andyzebra

andyzebra

Track Layer

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:27 AM

With out a doubt ,Open rails is so easy to use  it improves the frame rate ,The on screen information is better ,there is more to choose for external views and it improves the look of any route / loco twice over.

Sherman hill / Feather river route look fantastic with open rails.

#4 burgerbern

burgerbern

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:14 PM

I have been gradually moving all my routes over to run only with ORTS Sherman hill is set up so there are no MSTS folders left and so it cannot be run anywhere except in ORTS, that is my ultimate aim for all routes, cannot remember the last time i fired up MSTS.

#5 walrus

walrus

New Hire

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:57 AM

Became a steady OpenRails user after being blown-away by the superb look and feel of the Sherman Hill route with fantastic frame rates. Also, OpenRails  allows use of multiple displays, for the very immersive "wrap-around" effect. Adds depth and realism. I still use MSTS on an older computer, mostly to run conbuilder when I have a serious engine or activity issue; and route editor when I want to doodle with track layout ideas. But my use has become less and less over the past year.

Only issue I have noticed, is that occasionally I will come upon a tree or other scenery item parked in the middle of a track; or just way too close to the track. Even with this error happening, it is leaps-and-bounds ahead of MSTS. I like that I can continue to use a mix of MSTS and Open Rails files after all these years of collecting MSTS files and routes. 

#6 dpabrams

dpabrams

Motorman

• 3DTrains Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:15 AM

I only use the RE and Activity editor in MSTS. OR is awesome!

#7 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,090 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback, folks. :)

Cheers!
Marc

#8 norbertdx

norbertdx

Track Layer

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:34 PM

can you rework the poll and add other sims?

#9 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,090 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:40 PM

Yes, but considering Sherman Hill is an MSTS/OR affair, it would be pointless to include sims the route isn't compatible with. ;)

Cheers!
Marc

#10 NJMatt007

NJMatt007

New Hire

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:19 PM

Like most I use ORTS only to run my routes but only use MSTS for the RE & AE until something better comes along for that.

#11 Smecty

Smecty

Porter

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:15 PM

Well, every poll deserves a dissenting vote so I'll say that I use both MSTS and ORTS relatively equally. Since I'm aware of all the advantages of OR (and I use it exclusively with Sherman Hill) , what could I possibly see in an old 16-bit system, other than, as others have said, the editors?

Believe it or not, the looks. Some older routes - the default Marias Pass with Mike Sinclair's upgrades and DB tracks comes to mind - look better because the focus is diffused. OR's native 32-bit system is of course much clearer and sharper, but it's precisely that sharpness that makes it look somewhat toy-like: you can see that it's a modeled route and that it doesn't really resemble reality. Ever note that older supermodels (of the human kind ;-) appear in ads photographed from somewhat of a distance, rather than close-up? And with a sort of diffused lens? Same principal! :rolleyes: 

The other reason is that I like train simming for the activities, and not just running trains and looking at scenery. A really good activity designer is like a really good computer RPG: you get sucked into the action/story and suspend your disbelief for a while. And while OR can run rings around the old MSTS engine now with its ability to have AI couple up to trains, etc., the fact is that the vast bulk of activities written are for MSTS and do not necessarily work out of the box with OR. I prefer to spend my time driving trains rather than trying to de-bug activities for OR.

My 39 cents :D 

Dave

Dave

#12 jamesweed

jamesweed

New Hire

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:23 PM

Open Rails. It runs better and looks better and you can use DDS textures and it even runs smoother. Do vegetation though with DXT1 compression and trains and cars with 3 or 5 though. I am in the process of adding DDS textures to older Streamlines products. Hell the radiator fans with DDS do not disappear on their GEs and then even on EMDs the grills over the Dynamic Brakes do not disappear. 

#13 darter7

darter7

Porter

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:07 AM

Open Rails is the way to go.  Many more options and more realistic operations.

#14 sburr

sburr

Porter

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:31 PM

I run Open Rails exclusively.

#15 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 12:26 PM

I would be interested in hearing  out OR.

How is the activity editor?  

#16 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 12:44 PM

Hey Kevin,

Glad to see you back on the forums.

Can't answer your question about the TSRE-AE.  All I know is it is a Work in Progress as is the TSRE-CE.

#17 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,090 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:33 AM

heyas Kevin - nice to see you!

Cheers!
Marc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users