#1 qrfan3

qrfan3

Ticket Inspector

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:19 AM

Marc
I don't know if they were used in the era, and I know you are busy with other important work....do you intend to add speed signs in the near future ?

Cheers,
Gordon.

#2 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,100 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:07 AM

I'm not aware of any on the route.

Cheers!
Marc

#3 qrfan3

qrfan3

Ticket Inspector

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:48 PM

So in real life....they did not have track speed indication and you are not adding such...correct.

Interesting if this be the case..hmmmm!

Thanks,

Gordon.

#4 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,100 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

Correct. Speed limits are indicated in the latest employee timetable (ETT), a copy of which will be included in a future update.

Cheers!
Marc

#5 _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

Stationmaster

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:13 AM

The single track funnel over the Tehachapi Mountains is 23 MpH throughout in both directions Cable - Caliente according to the ETT's that are available online.
All switches and sidings are 23 Mph straight or diverging.
There is one permanent speed restriction coming down from Allard/Bealville into Caliente: the sharp U-turn is 15 MpH downhill.

The ETT lists no speed restriction uphill.

By having a continuous single of 23 MpH, more efficient dispatching is possible, as 23 MpH is around the sweet spot of modern dynamic brakes.
Even non stop meets in the passing sidings are possible if the trains aren't too long.

Hack has set the diverging switches into the sidings at 20 MpH, perhaps because otherwise the diverging indication isn't provided by the signaling scripts?

#6 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,100 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:13 AM

I set the speed based on a combination of the UP and BNSF ETTs, which are otherwise identical, but is the reason turnout speeds are different.

Cheers!
Marc

#7 _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

Stationmaster

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:29 AM

It is still confusing to me.

Once the official 3DTrains ETT is published, it will rule the trains and we can discard our UP or BNSF copies.

Another thing confuses me, the advance indication when my train is routed into a siding.

I get yellow over yellow followed by red over green at the control point, while I was expecting yellow over green followed by red over green.

Perhaps along with the ETT you can supply a signaling rules chart when the DLC is finalised for commercial release to the masses.?

#8 _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

Stationmaster

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:42 AM

Adding to the topic, even when not there in the prototype, some trackside speed indication would be helpful for new or casual players.

Even if only in the HUD, as would be those new whistle marks, and tunnel indications. Mileposts aren't possible in the HUD?

I use the Havner hud (, which lists the distance to the next speed change.

Further adding to the topic, here is signal by signal survey of the line, perhaps you find some help in it.

#9 Train538

Train538

Railfan

• Route Beta
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 10:52 PM

This should be helpful, but let me know if you have any questions (the picture is from the RailWorks America forums).

Attached Thumbnails

• FailWorks HUD speed signs.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users