Photo

HUGE Update Thread! 4/29/13

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#41 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

Wow. Simply WOW.

Eccles is proving to be verrrrry interesting. wink.gif

Seems like out of nowhere... a simply AMAZING new route will be discovered. Case in point: The prototype C&O out of Eccles to the Beckly and Raleigh area.

As the tracks entered the Harper/Eccles area, I decided to get the AC's basic mainline plotted to the main portion of town, where will be their yard and engine facilities. I then decided to go ahead and put in the C&O track first, the jointly served tipple/etc, then come back and create the AC's portion of the town of Eccles.

Before we go any further... here's a quick Activity Editor map/with annotations of the Harper/Eccles area as it currently exists...

To Be Continued...

Attached Files

#42 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

As I placed C&O track, I followed my C&O markers to see how far I would need to lay C&O rail in order to operate AI trains as well as what can be seen from the AC rails. (Can't have "through" rails ending in plain sight, can I?)

Flying over the markers, I simply became awe-stricken with what lay before me! WOW!

Check out the topography pictured below!

Someway... somehow... I eventually gotta' concoct a reason for the AC to run up those rails, too! Perhaps trackage rights over the C&O in return for granting the C&O trackage rights over the AC elsewhere? OR... let the rails belong to a proto-lanced line w/trackage rights? Perhaps call it the Virginia Midland, or sumpthin'??

Ah, the thrill of discovery... but the agony of "I wanna' play on those rails too!".

biggrin.gif

Attached Files

#43 lelandfletcher

lelandfletcher

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

Dear Andre,

I think protolancing has the best potential. You can blend historic accuracy with the what if factor to create some really interesting operation and the feeling of reality. Have you ever read any historic fiction? The main characters are always where the action is.

Yours truly,
Leland

#44 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Proto-lancing can be a big plus when it comes to allowing more latitude in regards to equipment, structures, etc. Plus, you can "tweak" history to your liking to accomodate tastes and wants.

However, I prefer to structure myself to stay with established routings, plausible yards/towns, etc. Hopefully... I'm accomplishing my goal. Note that in most locations, I'm able to stay within reason on following the markers, yet working with the existing terrain.

Below you'll see a pic of the south end of Eccles, from the Alleghany Central side of the rails. I now need to catch up the C&O portion and the rails will be ready to exit the Eccles area headed south.

Havin' fun!

Attached Files

#45 phlyer

phlyer

Track Layer

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

Andre,

Really liking your Allegheny Central!
I envision running those little steamers in and out of the "hollers", hauling coal and freight and maybe a mixed as well.
At the risk of being off-topic, how's your 12 inch to the foot railroading going? Previously, I enjoyed your stories and pics dealing with the day to day operations of modern railroading. These seem to make train simming sessions more enjoyable, having a glimpse of how it's done in the real world.
Just my observation.

Phil

#46 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

Hi Phil!

The AC project is proving to be a hoot.

As for the 1:1 mini-essays:

A few years ago rules were put in place prohibiting electronic devices (such as a camera). This has essentially ended pics from "days of our lives". So, I can no longer can take snapshots of my life being lived: Against the rules. So much for pictorial momentos for me or my descendants.

Further, given the "terrorist" mentaility of most government agencies along with most RR company policies now, narratives of operational practices are frowned upon in a major way.

Sadly, more and more government agency intervention in the workplace, as well as our personal liberties, is going to be the way of the future here in the USA. Wish it weren't so, but that's the way it appears to be.

So... no pics n' anecdotes. Sorry. sad.gif

#47 phlyer

phlyer

Track Layer

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Andre,

No need to apologize. I understand the need for security measures in this day and age. I also work in a private industry that is federally regulated to the hilt so I know where you're coming from.
I can always re-read past posts that I might have missed for insights into actual railroading practices and techniques.
Like others, I'm looking forward to more on the Allegheny Central as it progresses.

Take care...

Phil

#48 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Phil:

Since you work in an over-regulated vocation also, then yup... you have a defiinite perception of what we're (railroaders) up against.

Alleghany Central:

Finished up the track for Eccles today. (I may add a team track on the C&O side.) Both the AC/C&O rails have left town to the south and the C&O rails have reached the switchback junction.

Seeing as I will need to lay enough C&O rails to leave the scene at that junction point... the rails will be very close to the apex up at the last tunnel area. Might as well punch through. I think eventually I'd like to run these C&O rails on over to the Raleigh/Glen Morgan area (about 3-4 miles) where was a significant yard/interchanges. Doing so would give me an opportunity to simply run that section as the C&O. Hmmm.

Anyhoo...

Below is a quick AE screen of the Eccles area.

Off to play 1:1 trains... see 'ya!

Attached Files

#49 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

Been adding enough C&O track to get out of the scene south of Eccles. I'm still tempted to go ahead and lay rails on this C&O branch to the Raleigh/Glen Morgan area so it can be operated as a seperate entity if I desire. That so, the rails would need also to continue west to Fairdale, only a couple miles away, which would result in having the entire branch in place.

Something that's becoming apparent: The grades out through these mountains were not constant at ALL. The same climb may have sections of 1.5%... then hit a section of 2%... then ease up to 1.75%... then hit 2.3% before reaching a summit! Basically what this means is that one will have to be very good at air management when descending such grades with a heavy train. Not your typical MSTS route where a perfectly constant grade runs from the floor to a summit!

Oh... just about forgot... here's a little RE pic of this evening's progress...

Attached Files

#50 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

Well... I dood it!

Got those C&O rails up through the tunnels (3 of them) and onto the plateau near Cabell. The short (3 miles?) climb is dotted with tall trestles a trio of tunnels. Now that I'm on top, I'm only about 2 or so miles to the Raleigh/Glen Morgan area where a significant yard and junction(s?) take place. Might as well head for it, no? devil.gif

Just got done zipping another back-up of the route and sending a copy of the route to the appropriate mini-installation titled "Early Steam". After a reboot I'm going to take a run from the top down to the Eccles area and gander at the terrain!

Below is a pic to let you see how well the 10m terrain was rendered and the terrain-to-track relation.

Havin' fun!

Attached Files

#51 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

A verrrry interesting turn of events has transpired. devil.gif

I'll try to come back tomorrow evening after work and clue you all in.

Bedtime beckons. dry.gif

#52 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

Clue #1....

Attached Files

#53 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Clue #2.

Last clue for a while.

Gotta' head off to bed. I'm being pulled to Springdale to run a passenger train on Saturday. Back later this weekend.

See'ya!

Attached Files

#54 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

Clue #3:

You ain't lookin' at the Alleghenies. devil.gif

Any guesses out there in simmer land?? cool.gif

#55 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Probably the last clues for tonight. (Pics below.) As you can see, even though it's not set in the Alleghenies... there's still Mountains with a capital "M"!

There is a theme that runs central throughout the entire concept, even though I've intentionally removed any city and location names by hiding the markers and photo-shopping out the lats/lons. I could probably end up talking until I'm black in the face and you still won't be able to guess it. However, if you study the clues like a hawk... it just may become clear. If not, then I guess you're up a creek without a paddle! devil.gif

Any takers? Wanna' guess?

Attached Files

#56 phlyer

phlyer

Track Layer

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

Andre,

Western United States?

Phil

#57 dajones

dajones

Ticket Inspector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:57 AM

Clear creek area?

Doug

#58 dajones

dajones

Ticket Inspector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

I just found a map in the Colorado Central book, it looks like Black Hawk.

Doug

#59 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Phil:

Yup... think more western than the Alleghenies and even the Ozarks... but not TOO far west.

Doug:

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Good job Doug! Did you dig the clues out of the paragraph I typed above? For all the others... here's the abundant clues I left in my closing paragraph above. (Clues are in uppercase.)

"There is a theme that runs CENTRAL throughout the entire concept, even though I've intentionally removed any CITY and location names by hiding the markers and photo-shopping out the lats/lons. I could probably end up talking until I'm BLACK in the face and you still won't be able to guess it. However, if you study the clues like a HAWK... it just may become CLEAR. If not, then I guess you're up a CREEK without a paddle!"

Clues in order as implanted:

Central City
Black Hawk
Clear Creek

Ain't I clever? biggrin.gif

That was fun.

Now, as for the route...

You all know me by now: I have this "thang" for old time trains n' mountains. Some of my most favoritest mountains be the Rockies. And one of my most favoritest things among those Rockies was the narrow gauge lines that plied them.

SOOOO... I'm on a Colorado narrow gauge kick. Namely, a Colorado Central RR kick... and it's NOT MY FAULT. rolleyes.gif

It's Charlie and Jared's fault. biggrin.gif

See the thread linked below to see where the blame lies. THEY were the ones that fanned the Colorado narrow gauge fires in me again..

http://www.elvastowe...ma/page__st__90

As you will learn in the Elvas Tower thread above, I also have the Gunnison Line DEM'd and track is 100% complete from Cimarron to Montrose. It was that fool Blue Mesa Reservoir that really put the whammy on that route idea. (Never mentioned it here... mainly because the reservoir issues killed it dead.)

BUT... the above linked thread rekindled my desire to further one of my Colorado narrow gauge route projects, and the Colorado Central won out over the others.

So, for now... the Colorado Central it is!!

Hope to reach Central City soon... and once I do... it's time to tackle the city of Golden.

All fer now!

#60 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

Using near-scale sized place holders in "downtown" Black Hawk so I can orient the elements closely so the "feel" is correct. Black Hawk was a fascinating (and sooty) place! Below is the latest Route Editor screen. (Just took the pic a few minutes ago.)

What you're seeing is the station grounds (foreground) and the Bobtail Mill (background)... the mainline is poised to continue up the gulch to the end of track. Along the way will be the junction switch to Central City.

Attached Files