Photo

HUGE Update Thread! 4/29/13

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#21 lelandfletcher

lelandfletcher

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:06 AM

Andre,

The ALLEGHENY CENTRAL... Very interesting.

I like the link and pin, would the brakes be hand brakes (pre Westinghouse?)

You might want to look at Cumberland, MD south through Elkins, WV for some prototype ideas. Elkins was an interchange.

Yours truly,
Leland

#22 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

Hi Leland!

Ah yes, Elkins, WV. A very well-known name to most rail enthusiasts.

Seeing as my target era is about 1889, air brakes will be the norm. May have a few non-air cars... (with prototypical handling restrictions) just have to wait and see if I get that far with this?

As I'm learning more and more about the region, I've already discoved I've not chosen the regional spelling of Alleghany, instead going with the alternate spelling Allegheny. I'll want to fix that.

As for interchanges... I'm getting those in spades given my choice of routings. Hopefully, you'll be pleasantly surprised once I start posting AE maps... which I will do soon. Right now I'm pinched for time so I've got to keep this short.

All for now!

#23 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Back home for a bit... time to get better acquainted with the Alleghany Central.

First off, let me catch you up to speed on what's I've accomplished route-wise. The maps that will follow are annotated, but I'm sure I'll be injecting some explanitory matter along the way.

First map: South Thurmond to the White Oak Jct/Glen Jean area...

To Be Continued....

Attached Files

#24 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

Next is Map 3, which is an overview of the areas where track is nearly complete at the time the map was created...

To Be Continued...

Attached Files

#25 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

And now a map offering a closer look at the White Oak Jct/Glen Jean area...

A few things to note:

1. The engine service facilities at White Oak Jct will likely be removed and replaced by the facilities at Mt. Hope. Reason: As my knowledge of the area grew, I came to realize that Mt. Hope would make a better location to station the mine "shifters". ("Locals" were known as "shifters" in the Alleghanies).

2. At this point I am leaning toward the line to Oak Hill being a branch of the Alleghany Central instead of the prototype White Oak RR. However, that might change.

The pros/cons of branch or interchange:

Pros:

* I would have an interchange with the prototype White Oak RR at White Oak Jct.

* I don't have to model the line to Oak Hill.

Cons:

* I give up some pretty interesting operation at the mines up the line, including a switchback to reach the town of Oak Hill. (If I go this route, once at Oak Hill the AC would interchange with the prototype Deepwater RR, so no interchange is actually given up.)

* I would now have more miles of scenery/structure/etc work.

To Be Continued...

Attached Files

#26 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

And now a look at the Mt. Hope area.

Note there are two significant branches to serve out of Mt. Hope. (BTW, if you see a branch or a mine on the maps... they're based on prototype! In fact, the data I have indicates these areas were so intense I'm actually having to downsize a bit as well as simplify the track density at mines/etc! However, that's in keeping with the 1889/1890 target era. That is, the mines were smaller, towns were not as fully developed, etc.)

Those two branches, and the effort it's going to take to get empties up to the mines on them, is one of the reasons I think the engine facilities should be at Mt. Hope and not White Oak Jct. If this is so, then the White Oak Branch (if it's to be an AC property) or White Oak RR interchange (if I model it that way) would be served by a shifter out of Mt. Hope, that could also work the mines between Mt. Hope and White Oak Jct.

To Be Continued...

Attached Files

#27 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

As you can see... there's shaping up to be a LOT to do (i.e. "operation") on this route. All of the above intensity is in contained in LESS than 10 mainline miles! The branch line miles between South Thurmond and Mt. Hope would be greater than the mainline miles!

Brief description of the line south/west of Mt. Hope...

There will be 2% + grades getting over the hump to Pax. This includes a tunnel. The rails of the AC are already south/west of the tunnel. At Pax, the AC will interchange with the prototype Deepwater RR. I do not know if when the protoytpe C&O arrived at Pax if they were there first and the rails of the Deepwater RR arrived next, or the rails of the C&O arrived second. In otherwords, I don't know how far the Deepwater RR penetrated these mountains before they were acquired by the Virginian (VGN) railroad. In my world, the interchanging rails will be those of the Deepwater... for my own AC is going to appropriate VGN rails from Pax all the way to Mullens, WV!!!

Next will be a few Route Editor screens as well as an "in game" screen.

To Be Continued...

#28 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

First up will be a Route Editor screen looking over at the South Thurmond area and (if you look close) you'll see the AC rails wiggling up the hollow that's on the extreme left.

To Be Continued...

Attached Files

#29 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

And now a bit closer look at the AC at South Thurmond. On the opposite side of the New River can be seen the facilities of the C&O. The track connecting the two is the prototype line over the New River at that location.

To Be Continued...

Attached Files

#30 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

Next is a picture of the twisting/turning line up the Loup Creek hollow. 2% + grades exist on this portion. LOVE the topography!

Attached Files

#31 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

A temptation: On the prototype there was the Minden Branch to Minden. It was a switchback branch with 4% + grades. Sooooo tempting... but I'm a'feared it would put me into object count issues to attempt it. (There's already 196 objects on the South Thurmond/Thurmond tile... and the track there needs some reworking to expand the yard a bit more... and there's no scenery in place yet!)

I have made allowances n the trackwork for the departure junction in the yard lead for the Minden Branch... so I've got that base already covered IF it can be done at a later time.

Anyway... here's a pic showing the markers for the Minden Branch climbing the mountainside high above South Thurmond.

Attached Files

#32 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Okay... I'll end this now with a couple of remaining pics.

I couldn't resist throwing in a bit of scenery to see how South Thurmond could look. Using the terrtexes, track texture, and objects from my Ozark Northern route... I quickly came up with a facimile of how South Thurmond might look. I am liking the "feel" it can have. Bear in mind that everything in the follow scenes will be replaced with purpose built structures (except maybe the turntable). I also expect to develop new terrtexes, as well as tweak the colors of my foliage and other things in addition to the new structures that I would want at this location.

Understanding that... here's a couple pics: One from Route Editor and the other in-game. (To view the in-game screen grab full size you'll need to click to expand.)

Well... that's all for now!!! What do you think of the Alleghany Central?

Attached Files

#33 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hmmm... I could be talkin' to myself now in this thread... but oh well... I enjoy it... I'm a riot!! biggrin.gif

Still tinkerin' and piddlin' with the Alleghany Central idea and havin' fun. Here's the latest...

The track laying stalled at Pax for a spell as nothing "ginned". Then, had a brain flash on how to make it happen and an evening later I had the track in for Pax, WV. I'm now pleased with what I came up with for Pax... previously my arrangements just weren't working.

As for Pax:

The prototype C&O RR interchanged with the Virginian (VGN) RR at Pax. In my virtual world, the Alleghany Central has replaced the C&O, and the original prototype railroad, the Deepwater, is still in place instead of the VGN. (Prototypically the VGN acquired the Deepwater sometime after the turn of the century.) In my virtual world, Pax represents the southern end of the Deepwater RR. The northern terminal is where the prototype's northern terminal was: Deepwater, WV, some 40 miles(?) away.

Anyway, first is an AE map with annotations...

To Be Continued...

Attached Files

#34 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

And here's a pic on the AC main line looking south toward Mullens. (Note: The structures are merely placeholders to get an idea of how things will feel when the scenery arrives at Pax.)

To Be Continued...

Attached Files

#35 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

And here is the same scene looking south toward South Thurmond...

To Be Continued...

Attached Files

#36 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Last one for tonight... and overview of the Pax area...

The AC main curves to the right. The yard in the background is the Deepwater RR's facilities. The town of Pax will lay in the valley between.

See 'ya!

Attached Files

#37 phlyer

phlyer

Track Layer

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hi Andre,

Wow! The Allegheny Central looks to be a fantastic eastern route!
I love coal operations and it appears this route would certainly fullfill that in spades.
I can visualize long cuts of coal hoppers (gons?) being transferred between connecting railroads.
When completed, will this be a payware route along the lines of the Ozark Northern?
As I mentioned in a previous post, your routes are just about all I run nowadays with the execption of Rich Garber's excellent Canton.
Keep up the outstanding work!

Phil

#38 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hi Phil!

Glad to see you pop in here!

Let's see what'cha said...

"Wow! The Allegheny Central looks to be a fantastic eastern route!"

It is truly unbelievable how much railroading was crammed into the Alleghenies/Appalachians. You simply can't pick a dud. So far, it's been a lot of fun to watch the AC's rails penetrate those virtual mountains and see the sights. AND... to think I'm following PROTOTYPE routings makes it that much more interesting to me.

"I love coal operations and it appears this route would certainly fullfill that in spades."

Oh my... you can't imagine the coal mining. There's so much that I'm having to simplify and downsize the many mines along the way. Some of the prototypes were huge in their final form. Fortunately, the mines were smaller and simpler in the 1890 era which also helps.

"I can visualize long cuts of coal hoppers (gons?) being transferred between connecting railroads."

Well... seeing as the Alleghany Central is facing main line grades in the 2% - 2.6% range... some branch lines in the 4% range... and given the lack of oompah of 1880's era steam engines... there can't be L-O-N-G trains of loaded coal cars. BUT... that's another neat thing: Helpers... lots of them stationed here and there in the mountains!

"When completed, will this be a payware route along the lines of the Ozark Northern?"

My first hope will be that I'll actually get far enough along on it to the point releasing a portion can be considered. LONG ways away from that goal, though. For sure, IF I actually reach such a goal... I will do my best to offer it to any interested. However, my primary goal here is to have fun and keep this effort a hobby for myself.

"As I mentioned in a previous post, your routes are just about all I run nowadays with the execption of Rich Garber's excellent Canton."

Ah yes, one Rich Garber and MSTS. Excellent creativity he had. Also had an amazing ability to stay hooked-up and complete projects.

"Keep up the outstanding work!"

Well thank you! I hope to. Check back here often as I'll try to update as things move along.

REALLY tempted to go ahead and get the rails to the proposed division point of Mullens, WV. Just LOVE that setting over there... and GETTING there would be an amazing journey. I'll see how it shakes out. (Also wouldn't mind reaching the AC's proposed northern terminal at Gauley Bridge... but now I'm definitely dreaming.)

FWIW: Just added some needed Distant Mountain tiles and downloaded and installed NED 1 sec Seamless terrain into the route, replacing the SDTS I was using for the DM's. So far, so good!

#39 derek

derek

Yardmaster

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:24 AM

I am listening as well.
Just blown away with all the detail.

Derek

#40 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hi Derek!

Keep the dial tuned to this radio station... I'll try to update as I can.

ALL:

The rails have reached the Harper/Eccles area. The few miles between Pax and Eccles involved some twisting and turning rails with the steeper grade portions in the 2.09% to 2.35% range. Two bridges will be required, the tallest of which will be 130' and about 700' - 800' long. (Almost a carbon copy of Bridge No. 1 on the railroad on which I work!)

I'll be in the Harper/Eccles area for a while. It's another interchange town, w/coal mines. Also, the C&O rails will be climbing out of the region on a switchback... so there will essentially be two or three times the trackwork while passing through this portion of the route.

I'll post some new pics as soon as I have some pic-worthy work accomplished.

All fer now!