Photo

Cal-P line

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#21 ckawahara

ckawahara

Conductor

• Beta Tester
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 06:11 PM

So, how did the term Cal-P come into existence?

#22 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 06:56 PM

A clarification of what Al stated.

The WP was not taken over by the SP. It was merged into the UP at about the same time the MP was. Though in reality the MP people took over the UP. Check the company officers after a couple of years and you will notice that they are, almost to a man, former MP people. Most of the WP engines were sent east to work former MP lines. The UP favored 6 axle engines in the mountains.

The Rio Grand was not merged into the UP. It first merged into the SP by Anshultz (spelling). SP was kept as the cororate vehicle for the merged roads. The SP kept a lot of the things the RG was doing. Speed lettering is a good example. Then it was merged into the UP.

#23 AlGarrison

AlGarrison

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 07:49 PM

Kevin is exactly right - my memory ain't what it used to be. The merger of the D&RGW with SP was a case of the guppy swallowing the whale as it was the owners of the Rio Grande who bought SP but they decided to maintain the SP as the corporate vehicle as Kevin correctly stated.

My confusion with the WP stems from the fact that the owners of the Rio Grand financed the building of the WP - I thought I had remembered that they had gotten together later in their history but my memory was incorrect.

(Sorry we got a bit off subject here)

#24 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 07:53 PM

Np biggie. I had been going through some of my "Trains" mags from that time period so I had the information at hand.

#25 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• Sacramento Locomotive Works
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(dcushing @ Sep 16 2003, 09:24 AM)
A couple of questions if I may.  First, where does the name CAL-P come from?  Were there also CAL-A thru CAL-Z or what ever.  Second, will there be any late Southern Pacific Steam included? 

Duncan

Duncan,

The Cal-P name stems from the original railroad company that built the line in the 1860s. It's name was the California Pacific and it's route ran from the bay area towards Sacramento. I do not recall all the history at this moment as today has been rather difficult. I will look it up later and give a more detailed report.

#26 dcushing

dcushing

Brakeman

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 06:39 AM

Thank you Erik. Its really refreshing to get a straight answer once in a while. I'm really looking forward to getting the CAL-P route when it's released.

Duncan

#27 rowie

rowie

Ticket Inspector

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE(Tim Frost @ Sep 16 2003, 04:54 PM)
There are two locomotives with generally do this work but for whatever reason, we have six light switchers assigned to our yard , including one California Northern GE unit.

Tim,

What is the California Northern GE unit? I thought they only had GP15-1's and SD9's, and the Arizona & California rostered GP30's, GP35's and SD40's.

Thanks,
David.

#28 Tim Frost

Tim Frost

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 07:23 PM

Honestly I've never been close enough to see the markings. Someone else identified it as a GE, they may or may not be correct. I'll go down this weekend and check it out; see what it is for real! rolleyes.gif

#29 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 09:08 PM

All I see in Woodland are the GP-15s

#30 Tim Frost

Tim Frost

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 06:01 PM

I did go down and check last weekend as I said I would, and it is indeed a Geep 15. That's the last time I just take someone's word for it when they identify a locomotive!

IPB Image

Looks just fine, even if it is dirtier than most Cal Northern GPs. Not sure why it's hanging out with all these UP units. rolleyes.gif dry.gif

I've never seen it out on the road though.

#31 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 07:48 PM

Well there was one of the 15s in Roseville last week ( I think it was) for service.

#32 Tim Frost

Tim Frost

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 10:06 PM

Well, I'm sure Cal Northern has to outsource some of their service, but is it possible they sold this locomotive to UP? It's been in Tracy for well over a year and never seems to do anything.

#33 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(Tim Frost @ Sep 25 2003, 10:06 PM)
Well, I'm sure Cal Northern has to outsource some of their service.

Most of their engines seem to come through the Roseville Shops. Also Caltrain's and CORP's engines come through the shops for service.