Photo

Cal-P line

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 iluvchoochoo

iluvchoochoo

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 02:04 PM

What's the Cal-P line include and who makes it
Cal-P is the one in the Bay area right?

#2 ckawahara

ckawahara

Conductor

• Beta Tester
  • 334 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 02:13 PM

Cal-P is a So Pac line that went from Oakland to Sacramento with some branchlines. SLW is building the route for MSTS, last rumored date was that it will be out in the latter part of this year. I have seen it also reference as the Martinez Sub, but whether it is the same thing or not I'm not sure.

What's in it?

No one knows, we have just hints. See www.sacramentolocomotiveworks.com to wet your whistle with their free downloads.

Erik will have more details I am sure.

Craig

#3 kevarc

kevarc

Commissioner

• Lone Wolf Activities
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 02:32 PM

I'm not sure, but is it the line through Tracy? If so I have some good info on it.

#4 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• Sacramento Locomotive Works
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 08:37 PM

Kevin,

The line through Tracy is the Mococo Line. When you are east bound on the Cal-P Line at Martinez the Mococo Line branches off to the right as the Cal-P swings off to the left heading for the Suisun Bay Drawbridge.

#5 ckawahara

ckawahara

Conductor

• Beta Tester
  • 334 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 08:41 PM

Kevarc:

I think that Tracy was part of another route that went thru the Altamont Pass, a more easterly route. The Niles Subdivision I think? Although I do show that a line ran from The Cal-P to Tracy. Went thru Pittsburg, Antioch, onward to Tracy. I do not know which sub this was par of though.

Cal-P I believe went northward from Oakland, and took in cities such as Richmond, Pinole, Bahia, Benicia, Port Costa, eventually to Sacramento. This was also called the Martinez subdivision by an old SP TT I have.

Whatever info you have might very very valuable to both Eric. One thing I have found out is that research material on these route is hard to come by.

Hope I haven't confused the original question.

Eric, where are you with the right answers?

Edit: He writes as I post....

Craig

#6 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE(iluvchoochoo @ Sep 2 2003, 02:04 PM)
What's the Cal-P line include and who makes it
Cal-P is the one in the Bay area right?

Andrew,

Craig already answered most of your questions, but I will answer your final one. Part of the route is in the Bay area. Here is a partial list of stations Oakland Pier/Mole, Berkeley, Martinez, Davis and Sacramento. Another juicy tidbit for you to munch on. The time period we are modeling had approximately 20 Named and 4 un-named passenger trains a day. cool.gif

#7 ckawahara

ckawahara

Conductor

• Beta Tester
  • 334 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 08:58 PM

Shhhhh...don't tell anyone, but some of the named ones that passed thru the Martinez sub carried the names of El Dorado, Cascade, City of San Franciso, The Statesman, The San Franciso Overland, Shasta daylight, The Senator, the Owl, Gold Coast, Gobenor, San Joaquin Daylight and Klamath. This was in 1953 either East or West bound.

wink.gif

#8 ckawahara

ckawahara

Conductor

• Beta Tester
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 08:59 AM

http://www.train-sim...mID15/1996.html

biggrin.gif

#9 al1218

al1218

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 September 2003 - 11:45 PM

Will the Cal-P route be available on CD? I hope so for those of us stuck with dial-up modems. Honestly, it'd be worth the price for that convenience. rolleyes.gif

#10 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE(al1218 @ Sep 7 2003, 11:45 PM)
Will the Cal-P route be available on CD? I hope so for those of us stuck with dial-up modems. Honestly, it'd be worth the price for that convenience.  rolleyes.gif

I believe we could arrange something like that. Actually that will be the primary mode of deliverying this route to MSTS users

#11 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 09:21 AM

IPB Image

#12 Dgauci

Dgauci

Computer Genius

• Beta Tester
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 01:17 PM

This is looking very good.

#13 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 08:37 PM

IPB Image

We are redoing the coast line along the tracks with something similar to this

#14 Dgauci

Dgauci

Computer Genius

• Beta Tester
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 09:01 PM

That looks very cool indeed.

#15 Guest_Macster_*

Guest_Macster_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2003 - 11:20 PM

very very nice... keep it up guys.

#16 AlGarrison

AlGarrison

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 11:55 PM

I've twice been stationed on Treasure Island in S.F. bay and the rip rap looks V E R Y real!! Great Job!

#17 dcushing

dcushing

Brakeman

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 09:24 AM

A couple of questions if I may. First, where does the name CAL-P come from? Were there also CAL-A thru CAL-Z or what ever. Second, will there be any late Southern Pacific Steam included?

Duncan

#18 Tim Frost

Tim Frost

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 04:54 PM

Three lines go through Tracy. One is the original Transcon line, this is basically abandoned west of Corral Hollow road, but occasionally cars are stored on the tracks which continue for a short distance up into Altamont Pass. Another is indeed the Mococo line, which heads north out of Tracy through Brentwood and on to Antioch and Martinez, then you have the current UP line which is a part of the Oakland Subdivision. This is the only line that presently goes through the Altamont pass, and sees about 8-10 freight trains daily (almost always stack trains) and 6 passenger trains (Altamont Commuter Express only).

There is a lot of information on the older two of these routes both in the Tracy Library and at the Tracy Historical museum, I can look it up if you like?

By the way, the Transcon line goes through the Tracy Yard, which sees several locals (ok, really one I guess because it's always the same cars and locomotives) on most days which push around mixed trains, mostly boxcars and lumber, and eventually switches them onto the UP Main on the Fresno or Oakland subs. There are two locomotives with generally do this work but for whatever reason, we have six light switchers assigned to our yard rolleyes.gif, including one California Northern GE unit.

#19 AlGarrison

AlGarrison

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 05:25 PM

I believe that the line over the Altamont Pass is the original Western Pacific mainline - the route taken by the California Zephyr that Marc has so beautifully modelled. WP was absorbed by SP and then they were merged into UP. (Sadly the fate of my beloved Rio Grande as well.)

#20 Tim Frost

Tim Frost

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 05:29 PM

That's correct, the current UP Main is the original WP line; the original rails and ties are still there and in use, though most of the rail has now been welded together and the joints removed.