Photo

'Nuther Update 9/3/12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

It's been GREAT being off for the holiday today! (Especially since the high temp today is 107 degrees!)

Over the past few weeks I've been at it again extending my Frisco Line rails north toward the goal of Monett, MO.

It's been some tough sleddin' following the terrain and keeping the gradients in line with the data I have. So far so good... but boy... lots of pullin' an' ploppin' track in and out. Also had to redo some grades laid long ago to be more accurate. That was a pain, too.

BUT...

The Frisco rails have reached Seligman, Missouri!

Those of you that have the St. Louis & North Arkansas route should recognize the name of that location! It's where the infamous "Seligman Hill" resides. devil.gif

Anyway... seeing as I'm back at Seligman (this time on the Frisco), it gives me the opportunity to accurately recreate the Eureka Springs Railway (as the North Arkansas was known originally) from Seligman to Eureka Springs, some 18 miles. I've been wanting to do this for a long time... just wasn't a good way of doing it without starting all over again. Well... now that my Frisco rails have arrived at Seligman and I have a clean slate... why not start all over again? biggrin.gif

So I have! The new and improved markers are ready to be imported to my Frisco Line marker file. This time, I will be able to more accurately reflect the main line alignment from Seligman down to The Narrows (known as the town of "Beaver" in later years). When I built the StL&NA route, I had to improvise as best I could, for I didn't have the data/info I now possess. Ditto some other minor realignments that better data has provided.

The original ES Rwy was a simplistic little road, but interesting to me, nonetheless. Seeing as I have the humongous Frisco Line that offers me complicated (if desired) operation at several locations... then simple can be good, right? Anyway... seeing as I've had a thing for all aspects of the North Arkansas, it comes as no surprise that I would jump at the chance to get do overs on a portion of it. Even though there won't be the embellishment on the ES Rwy as there was on the StL&NA between Seligman and Eureka Springs, there will be enough to be a neat little shortline operation. Besides, the quaintness of the 1880's town of Eureka Springs and the ES Rwy facilities are super neat. (See attached pic.)

As for the new Frisco Line rails from Rogers to Seligman:

VERY deceiving! I didn't realize how tremendously tough this area is to put a railroad through. Though the hills are nowhere near as spectacular as the mountains from north of Van Buren to near Fayetteville, there is no let up from the 1% grade roller coaster that typifies the Frisco north of Rogers. There is a long and TOUGH 1% pull from just north of Avoca all the way to Garfield... some 7 miles worth. You don't have a helper in this area, so a tonnage train brings you down to about 8 MPH and slug it out you go. Wow... just didn't expect this! You are almost ALWAYS climbing or decending a 1% grade on this line! Tough railroadin'.

Anyway... all for now. Perhaps later I will grab some screens from RE and/or AE to let you see the progress.

Have fun!

Attached Files

#2 TheGrindre

TheGrindre

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

Wow! I love that engine house.
Any possibilities of other pictures of it???

:-)

#3 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hi Rick!

Alas, that is the best pic of it... the ONLY good pic of it that I've ever seen, actually. Plus, it only took me 35 years to unearth that pic!