Photo

EPIC Colorado Trip!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

Wow... wife and I discussed two options for our upcoming vacation:

Plan A:

Ride our recently purchased (March '11) touring bike to the Black Hills of SD so she can see the sights I got to see. (Was there by myself on a previous hot rod bike... no way she could do the 2800 miles of the trip sitting on that passenger pillion.)

Plan B:

If there's bad weather forecast for the Black Hills a few days before leaving... take our 4WD and go to Colorado. (Basically our favorite place to vacation.) Afterthought: Why not trailer our dual sport bikes along and ride a little bit?

As the time neared, we realized we needed to have Plan B better thought-out in case that's the direction we head. Soooo... out came my new "Motorcycling Colorado" book... and we begin to browse it for some ideas in case it was Plan B.

Whoa.

This is where Plan A began to fall apart. Long story short:

We'll do the Black Hills aboard our touring bike some other time.... we're goin' dual sportin' in Colorado!

There are too many unexplored (by us) passes still out in Colorado... and we've never done them on dual sport bikes. (Only rented Jeeps and our 4WD.) We think we've put together a ride that will be EPIC. Here's what we've come up with that will stay well within the wife's motorcycling skill level and still offer fantastic scenery:

* Day 1: Arrive Canyon City in our 4WD w/bikes on the trailer and lodge for the night.

* Day 2: Unload the bikes, pack a lite backpack and leave Canyon City and head north on Phantom Canyon Road to Victor and Cripple Creek. North of Cripple Creek take Gold Camp Road to Colorado Springs and lodge there for the night. (Notes: Phantom Canyon Road is the old roadbed of the Florence & Cripple Creek narrow gauge RR. Gold Camp Road is part of the Colorado Springs & Cripple Creek std gauge RR.)

* Day 3: Leave Colorado Springs, return over Gold Camp Road to the Cripple Creek/Victor area, then ride the Shelf-Red Canyon road back to Canyon City. Freshen up, load the bikes and head for Pitkin, CO to lodge at a favorite cabin we've used before.

* Day 4: Leave Pitkin and head over Wanuita Pass and Black Sage Pass to Sargents, CO, pick up Marshall Pass road and ride it to Salida for lunch n' fuel. Return the same route. (Note: Marshall Pass road is the old roadbed of the D&RG's line over Marshall Pass.)

* Day 5: Leave Pitkin for Taylor Lake via Cumberland Pass. Fuel and food at Taylor Lake and return.

* Day 6: Short day with a ride up to Alpine Tunnel and enjoy the ambiance of that historic area. That afternoon load up and head for Crested Butte to lodge for the night. (Note: We'll be riding the roadbed of the Denver South Park & Pacific to Alpine Tunnel, in itself a famed DSP&P location.)

* Day 7: Leaving from Crested Butte ride Ohio Pass over to Paonia, CO, food and fuel, then back to Crested Butte via Kebler Pass. Lodge at Crested Butte again.

* Day 8: Laid back morning. Bikes loaded, ready to head east. May do some of the Black Canyon in our 4WD and leave out for eastern Oklahoma that afternoon. Lodge somewhere that night while on the road.

* Day 9: Arrive home!

We're are gettin' so excited we're about to pee our pants!!!

#2 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Sounds like a blast Andre, hope you two have a safe trip. Ride safe brother wink.gif smile.gif smile.gif

#3 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

Whoa! That's magical - especially the Pitkin part.

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

Yup, "magical" is a good word... as well as "blast"!

Today's high here in my hometown is 107 degrees. (Yuk.)

High in Pitkin: 68 degress. smile.gif

Countin' the days 'til the Magical Mystery Tour blasts off!

#5 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

biggrin.gif Bikes are loaded, almost all ready to go. Thermometer on my Blazer read a high of 110 on the way home from work today. mad.gif

HOWEVER... forecast highs are in the 60's where we're goin'!!! Shovin' out in the morning 'bout daybreak.

IF ANYONE shows up wondering where their order is, please remind them that I will resume processing orders beginning Sept 17 as per my home page. THANKS!!!

http://www.vscalecreations.com