Photo

Comin' Down The Pike! 7/22/12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

Hi All!

Among all the spike maul swingin', I've also fit in some time to repaint an accurate model of a Frisco 1880 Rogers locomotive. Below you'll see a couple pics of #52 in the "as delivered" scheme from Rogers. Fun!

(Shape Viewer pics courtesy of Herb Kelsey. Thanks Herb!)

Also: I have added the tiles, DEM'd the terrain, and created Distant Mountains needed so the line can be extended all the way to the southern sub division town of Talihina, I.T.*

As of last night, the rails have reached my hometown of Poteau... but "back then", it was I.T. and not Oklahoma.

In all, it is really a blast recreating a line that has been a long fascination (and that railroaded portions in the past and still do), and especially cool to be recreating that magic era that I've liked for so long.

* Indian Territory

Well... all for now!

P.S. Be sure to click the thumbnail to see the pics in all their glory!

Attached Files

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

I been busy...

(Click to enlarge!)

Attached Files

#3 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

Glad to be of assistance and get a chance to enjoy your beautiful paint work and Jon's great engines.

You know the modeling of the 1880s has a special charm to it. We tend to look at railroads from our late 20th/early 21st Century perspectives: Railroads surrounded by total development and in competition with all weather roads in all directions; railroads serving a bulk haul purpose but not providing the daily needs of our communities.

Ah but the 1880s were a different story. Before the railroads came all of these little towns you are modeling were isolated communities of pioneers, living off the land and the few meager provisions that horse drawn teams could haul over the mud ruts known back then as roads. But all that changed when the iron rails were spiked down into these communities and towns that weren't even thoughts in someone's head sprang up overnight to take advantage of this new form of revolutionary transportation known as the railroad. Suddenly there was a way to market for the local goods. Suddenly there was a way to ship the products of mine and mill to market. Suddenly there was a way to have the goods and services of merchants and mills from miles and miles away. Suddenly you could visit the major cities both in and out of your area by stepping on the steam cars, settling into a comfortable plush seat and enjoying the passing scenery. Journeys that took weeks were now possible in a matter of hours, or at best days.

On every hand the railroad was the heart and center of people's lives and all the world was young!
Attached File  54_at_Seligman.jpg   218.86KB   102 downloads

It is hard for us to wrap our heads around these concepts but Andre helps us to remember and experience a simpler time when all needs were met by the trains.

Thanks Andre!

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Ah... Herb me ol' boy. You pretty much nailed it for me.

Wish I had more time to elaborate... but work beckons.

I'm off to play trains in this "wonderful" heat!

#5 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Just thank your lucky stars that you're not shoveling coal on one of your anachronisms! laugh.gif

#6 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

Wow... I had forgotten repainting was such tedious work! wacko.gif

Taking a break from some of my piddlin'. Some of today/tonight has been used furthering the repainted/renumbered versions of the 1880 Rogers 4-6-0 order that is pictured above. Below is a pic of the work in progress. Still quite a way to go, and I expect there will be some fine-tuning as well.

As close as I can tell, the Frisco started moving to a 3-digit numbering system in 1886. There will be two of the 1880 Rogers Ten Wheelers that will be repainted/renumbered: 160 and 161. When these two are complete, the entire 1880 Rogers order will be represented!

This is fun!

Oh... the pic. (Please overlook the cheesy video card I have.)

Attached Files

#7 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Beautiful work Andre - what a line up smile.gif

Rod

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

Thanks Rod.

I've bogged down on account of getting busy at work and at the home. Leaving in the morning for a week. Hectic.

Had intended to get the renumbered versions finished and uploaded for Ozark Northern customers... however... just haven't been able to repaint the black version to my liking yet. All in good time.

Later!