Photo
- - - - -

From MSTS to N scale

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 bnsf1959

bnsf1959

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

As some of you know me from the Mophouse forum, Frank and I created BNSF Business train for MSTS a few years ago. See Below.......
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
So, I made one in N scale after I purchased a scratch'n'dent F Units from Intermountain Railway for half price and 6 Model Power passenger cars off eBay for less than $40. Got the paint as close as I can get and microscale decals for BNSF Swoosh GP or SD loco will work.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
BNSF name on the dome car.
IPB Image
IPB Image
Don't worry about the Santa Fe F unit laying on it's side. I already moved it up and sitting on track. Thanks for looking!

#2 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

It would be nice if the CEO at BNSF would take a hint from this Ken wink.gif

#3 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

Great stuff, Ken! I love how the IM sets run, and I have a dozen here (FTs, F7s and FP7s) - a bit hard to find the liveries needed, however (ATSF Cigar Band F7s and Clinchfield sets).

Cheers!
Marc

#4 bnsf1959

bnsf1959

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(Hack @ Jul 4 2012, 9:53 PM) View Post

Great stuff, Ken! I love how the IM sets run, and I have a dozen here (FTs, F7s and FP7s) - a bit hard to find the liveries needed, however (ATSF Cigar Band F7s and Clinchfield sets).

Cheers!
Marc

Thanks Marc. The only thing I don't like about IM is between the two loco is too far apart. sad.gif My Kato Santa Fe F units are much closer together than the IM shown here. Is there something I can bring them closer together like which coupler system? Do you have any ideas? Other than that, they run smooth and quiet. smile.gif

#5 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

Ken - you can create drawbars from brass or use Unimates. Here's a link to a thread on Trainboard on close coupling:

http://www.trainboar...ermountain-F7-s

Edit: Whoops! This one's for HO - eh - I do recall seeing the same applied to the n scale units, however.

I haven't got to mine yet - too many wheelsets needing replacement on my freight cars - but I plan on a coupler project in the future.

Cheers!
Marc

#6 bnsf1959

bnsf1959

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

Thanks Marc. I thought of something like that. In fact, I might have a few unimate couplers laying around somewhere........

Update; I have a few unimate couplers and already changed it on both units. It looks much better now! wink.gif
IPB Image

#7 bnsf1959

bnsf1959

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE(Hack @ Jul 4 2012, 9:53 PM) View Post

Cheers!
Marc

I found the FT ATSF Cigar band here; http://blwnscale.com... ft diesels.htm

As for the Clinchfield, you might have to call and ask for a pair of scratch'n'dent F units for half price and paint it yourself. I looked on their website and I don't see any.
http://www.intermoun...nloco/nloco.htm

I got SP Black Widow F-7 A&B on order from BLW. I have a total of 8 Kato A&B units (all ATSF Red warbonnet, 4 F-3's and 4 F-7's) and 2 IMRC F units. I may have a few old Bachmann laying around in boxes somewhere but they no longer run anymore.

#8 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hi Ken,

The Cigarband FTs are pretty common - I have four sets I've gotten off eBay over the years. It's the F7 version that has been eluding me (the Clinchfield set is just as hard to locate). I have a CRR F7 B, but I always have an eye peeled for the cabbed unit. I also have a few SP F7s and an FP7 that I hope to super-detail one of these days. With all this fuss, I probably should have stuck with Kato.

Cheers!
Marc