Photo

A&O Sub

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 coondoodle

coondoodle

New Hire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=4]
Andre, I have been running this route for about six years and got to tell you this is the best route out there. I run other routes and then come back to the A&O and start over again. The trains and the sound are great. I have been reading this forum every day or so, and it has slowed so I thought I would take this chance just to let you know how much i enjoy your products.
And by the way I liked the youtube videos.
Eddie

#2 pensfan

pensfan

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Gotta agree with Eddie. One of my favorite routes. I think what I like most is the included activities, they really make me feel like I'm there. Two questions for Andre: 1) Would you consider doing a scenery upgrade to the route to take advantage of Bin and today's faster computers? 2) Would you consider making an activity pack? IMHO, the activities included from the A&O are some of the best made for MSTS.

Al

#3 frog3764

frog3764

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:28 AM

I too have many other routes which sometimes come and go briefly, but the A&O, STL&NA, and Ozark Northern are always the regular "keepers" which I always fall back to when I want run some good trains. Take Care and keep up the excellent work!

Jim

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hi Guys!

Really glad the ol' A&O (and the StLNA and ON) is still being enjoyed. Thank you very much for saying so.

As for the A&O and Al's questions:

1) Would you consider doing a scenery upgrade to the route to take advantage of Bin and today's faster computers?

Interesting question. In the past, I actually considered upgrading it and shoving the upgrade out the door. The issues that arose were:

1. How much "redo" to be done within the route? How big (download) would the finished product be? Or, worse yet, would it be too big to be downloadable in the practical sense, so would have to be distributed via CD or DVD? If the later, then pitch in the cost of the discs, labels, disc sleeves, disc mailers and postage. (Postage has doubled since I opened the doors at VSC.)

2. What would actually be gained by doing so? In other words, all that would be gained would be more pleasing visuals but that would have to weighed by the added expense of distibution etc. i.e.

If an upgrade, then seems to me the previous customers should be able to download and install without charge. (There really wouldn't be any added value in regards to operational enhancement.) Thus, the VERY meager income VSC produces now would be further eroded. At this point, the VSC products are still trickling in enough yearly sales to support the VSC website and space. Once the sales sag below the price point of my website and webspace... hmmm... out of pocket to keep things going?

2) Would you consider making an activity pack?

That idea would have more merit, except for the fact that I'm really struggling to sustain any personal MSTS activity. What little creative energy I have toward MSTS (admittedly, which is infrequently) is typically consumed tinkering with new (route) ideas and such. This is why several years ago I announced via this forum that I would be backing away from commercial endeavors and returning to being a "hobbiest". I foresaw this and decided to be up front and tell the troops lest they think I'm still dangling "carrots" in front of them.

What I REALLY need is to find a good supply of bottled "Double Doses" of creative energy. I have some SUPER NEAT route stuff on my hard drive that could be really fun to operate on in a "finished" state. Unfortunately, my available time vs energy factor is way out of kilter right now, and has been for a while.

Ah well... guess there's a price to pay to derive one's living from 1:1 railroading in regards to impact on one's hobby of railroading. I still thoroughly enjoy rail history, though. And that's where what little MSTS creative energy I've had has been used over the past few years: Laying track in TOC19 era route projects. (Think: Colorado Midland, The Frisco Lines, a dabbling in Colorado narrow gauge, etc.)

It's all good, though!

#5 pensfan

pensfan

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

Thanks Andre for the reply. I understand. I'm still having a blast running your A&O and Ozark Northern routes.

Al

#6 jregner1955

jregner1955

New Hire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Just recived and Installed my copy of The A&O Subdivision and Must applaude Andre for the most realistic route I've ever ran in MSTS. This and the STL&NA are top of the heep in my addons to msts. please keep up the great work you do Andre

#7 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

Aw shucks, jregner1955... t'weren't nothin'... blush.gif

Seriously: Thank you for saying so and I so glad you're pleased with the ol' A&O Sub.

I had a lot of fun creating the A&O... but must admit (like any route project one actually finishes) it really became a chore toward the end.

I do NOT see how Rich Garber was able to stay at it all those years and complete all those routes he created. The man had amazing tenacity.