Photo

End Of An Era 3/18/12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

An event is taking place on May 1, 2012 that is going to end one of the primary ways that I derive enjoyment from train simming. On that date, Microsoft is permanantly shutting down the server that feeds data to USAPhotomaps. In effect, this will mean no more exploring topographical maps and photomaps of a route's region via USAPhotomaps. It will be no more.

In addition, the USGS is slowly changing the format of the NED Seamless terrain that I try to use when possible. DEMEX is not able to process the new data. Another blow.

What this means, is that IF I want to attempt exploring new route ideas (such as expanding my existing routes), I would have to try to figure out what I would like to experiment with and download the topo/photos before May 1. Not easy.

It is unknown to me at this point if I'll be able to download sufficient stuff for the future before May 1. I certainly am going to miss the enjoyment of exploring regions and dreaming about routes therein via USAPhotomaps. It was very relaxing and a great way to learn about railroads from different places.

I guess the old saying is true that states: "All good things must come to an end."

To read the full story, click the link below:

http://www.trainsim....-not-be-new-BUT

#2 charlie

charlie

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Mar 18 2012, 3:41 PM) View Post
I guess the old saying is true that states: "All good things must come to an end."

Maybe it ain't over 'til it's over. For a while I've been watching a project in the USAPhotoMaps group on Yahoo.

***NEWS FLASH***
The msrmaps.com website, on which USAPM relies for all of its imagery, has gone down forever as of May 1, 2012! We mounted a successful effort to download all of the data from this server to prevent it from being lost (to us) forever.

Many thanks to all of the USAPM users who contributed to this effort and congratulations! You all did a great job and now we will be working on ways to make all of this data available.

Stand by for news on how we will manage this part of the project.

(Actually the msrmaps.com site still up as of today and supplying imagery to USAPM.)

regards,
charlie

#3 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

That's wonderful news Charlie! Thank you so much for posting it!

I was REALLY bummed that my favorite program was getting ready to get ditched. Over the past couple months I've tried to spend some of my available time downloading USAPM data for projects I "may" want to do "someday". I have not been successful at this for two reasons:

1. Thinking that far ahead on what I MIGHT find interesting.

2. Having the time and desire to continue downloading.

Fortunately, I DO have the data downloaded for:

1. ALL of the Frisco Lines of interest to me.

2. ALL of the Missouri & North Arkansas.

3. ALL of the Colorado Midland.

4. ALL of the Colorado Central.

5. ALL of the Denver South Park & Pacific.

6. ALL of the Silverton area railroads.

7. ALL of the D&RG's Gunnison line from Salida to Montrose to Grand Junction.

Etc, etc!

Soo... I do have data saved for a FEW route ideas! blush.gif

#4 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

That should keep you busy for a while ... tongue.gif