Photo

Invisible track & roadbed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Delcie70

Delcie70

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

Greetings. I hope I am not asking a question that has been ask many times. I have been using ScaleRail on some modifications I have been making to the Castle Rock Route. All has gone well until a couple of days ago when I had to re-install both windows 7 and RS 2012. Thankfully, I had copies (clones) of the works in progress saved to a thumb drive. Anyhow, I now have everything back up and running except I am having a problem with ScaleRail. On each and every route where I have used Scalerail, the roadbed and track are missing. As you move the mouse over the area, the yellow secton outlines show up and the red track end markers are there. All of the different ScaleRail track types are in the list with other track as they should be. One thing that doesn't look right is that there are 2 SR Default 133llb track rules listed No only do the existing track and roadbeds not show up, but you cannot create a new section of ScaleRail track either. You can select a type of track, set it's properties in the right hand fly-out; you can select a starting point and mouse to an end point, but when you release the mouse button, no track is drawn. Again, mouse over the area and the yellow track section appears where the track should be. You can then select that section and delete it just like the track was there. I considered removing ScaleRails and doing a fresh install, however, ScaleRail is not llisted in the package manager and I don't know how to remove it manually safely. I have fooled with this for the last 7 or 8 hours and my brain hurts. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong and how to fix it? Thanks in advance for you help solving this problem

#2 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:24 AM

Sounds like one or more folders in your RW install got fouled. Before re-installing RW, try using the uninstall feature of ScaleRail found here:

Start > All Programs > 3DTrains > ScaleRail > Uninstall ScaleRail

The install a fresh copy and see if all is well. Also let me know of any errors with the uninstall process.

Cheers!
Marc

#3 Delcie70

Delcie70

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Sounds like one or more folders in your RW install got fouled. Before re-installing RW, try using the uninstall feature of ScaleRail found here:

Start > All Programs > 3DTrains > ScaleRail > Uninstall ScaleRail

The install a fresh copy and see if all is well. Also let me know of any errors with the uninstall process.

Cheers!
Marc

I tried the above suggestion and didn't have any luck resolving the problem. I finally re-installed RS2012 and I still can't get the roadbed to display.

When I try to install ScaleRail, the installer does not find the installation path. I have come to the conclusion that I am inputting the wrong path.

I am using windows 7/64. The first question I have is; do I install in the Program Files (x86) or just the plain Program Files.

What is really bugging me is, when I installed ScaleRail the first time after purchasing it, I didn't have a single problem. It would appear that I have a very sharp learning curve; downward. :o

Perhaps someone could verify the proper path to set the installer to in order to install properly

Thanks,
Darrell

#4 Delcie70

Delcie70

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

Time out for a minute... Just found an e-mail from Marc. Will try his suggestion and find out if that works. ( I had forgotten that I had e-mailed him when I started the last post) One thing I just noticed a few minutes age. I have a double listing of the default track rules in the bottom left flyout. A complete list and then a second complete list right below the first. I am beginning to think I have some kind of RS2012 software problem. (this is a near new download) Darrell

#5 Delcie70

Delcie70

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

OK, I have come to the conclusion that I am in really need some ideas as to what could possibly be going wrong with my ScaleRale installation. Or rather what is going wrong after installation. By the way, I am running Windows 7/64 Home Edition OS First, let me start at the beginning of my problems. I have ScaleRail installed on RS2012 that is installed on another hard drive in my system. I also have installed a Castle Rock Route that was modified for me by Otto Wipfel. (posts a lot on the TrainSim forum) Part of the track used in that route is ScaleRail track which has had the ballast color changed from standard ScaleRail. Anyhow, I had made track additions to the basic Castle Rock Route using some of Otto's track, some ScaleRail and some default track. About a week ago, I loaded this route to do some work on it and Most of the track was missing from the route. All that was left was the pink ballast track. Mousing over the area of the missing track would display the yellow section marker of the track that was supposed to be there. I tried reloading both the ScaleRail and the Track Otto had created for me. After that, all of the track laid with Otto's track re-appeared, but none of the ScaleRail or the default track would display properly. I had a unused hard drive in my computer, so I decided to use it for just my Steam programs. That was 4 days ago. No matter what I tried, I have not been able to get ScaleRail to work properly. Here is what I have done today. 1. Deleted both Steam and RS2012. 2. Went into the Program Files (x86) folder and removed any and all folders used by RS2012 3. Did a clean install of Steam and downloaded and Installed RS2012 4. Checked that all default track stuff displayed properly 5. Downloaded a new copy of ScaleRail and unzipped it. 6. Installed ScaleRail using the path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assets\3DTrains\ScaleRail Maybe there is something wrong with the path. I don't know. 7. Opened the Route editor and everything is still fine. 8. Opened the right fly-out panel and checked the ScaleRail Box under 3DTrains 9. All ScaleRail track types appear in the 2nd fly-out on the left and look to be correct 10. Select any ScaleRail track type and attempt to lay a section on the route. Everything looks OK until you release the mouse button after dragging the pointer to where you want it. 11. Release the mouse button and no roadbed or track appear. Just the red symbols that indicate the ends of the track you just tried to lay. 12. Mouse over the area where I just attempted to lay the track and the yellow section marker appears. Select it and you can delete it, move it with the gizmo or anything else you can do with a section of track, except you can't see it. 13. I noticed one very strange thing: Before checking the ScaleRail box under 3DTrains in the assets area, there was only on complete list of track rules. (as there should be) After selecting ScaleRail, there were 2 complete lists of track rules. Click to de-select ScaleRail and more track rules lists appear. During the course of the day, I counted as many as 9 complete track rules lists at one time. As stated before, I have had ScaleRail up and running before and it worked very well. That is what is driving me crazy. There has to be something that I am doing wrong time after time during this install, but I can't see what it is. By the way, this problem persists no matter which route I use. default or clone, it dosen't matter. Any help or ideas anyone can give would be well appreciated.

#6 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:19 AM

Likely a game cache issue, or that multiple track rules could be fouling things up:

Steam\steamapps\common\railworks\Assets\3DTrains\ScaleRail\RailNetwork\TrackRules

If you have all ScaleRail packages from this site installed, you should have no more than three track rules in that folder:

SR_ATSF.bin
SR_Cajon.bin
SR_Default.bin

Delete any stray copies, and also ensure to delete the RW game cache from the launch window.

Cheers!
Marc

#7 Delcie70

Delcie70

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the rely. Strange............. I only have the payware version of ScaleRail installed at this time and there is NO SR .bin file of any kind in the trackrules folder. By the way, are the freeware SF & SP ScaleRail installations used if you have the HR package installed. Oops: Sorry, just noticed I had deleted ScaleRails. Let me re-install and get back to you.

#8 Delcie70

Delcie70

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

SUCCESS!!!! I just knew there was some little something I was doing wrong. The installation problem (as it turned out) as a path problem I was setting the installation path as: Steam\steamapps\common\railworks\Assets\3Dtrains. That was causing everything from Assets on to be installed in the 3Dtrains folder I just set the path to: Steam\steamapps\common\railworks and everything installed correctly and is working fine. Hack, thanks for the tip.. I don't know the file structure of RS2012 enough to have seen the problem. The advice you gave above was enough to start me looking in the right direction and I was able to figure things out from there. Thank you so much. Darrell PS. I also figured the freeware & HR packs out also... All 3 packs are playing nice with each other.