Photo

A Day In The Life (Proto) 2/13/12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Had a huge Saturday. Double psgr trains: Day train up to Winslow and back, then a night "dinner" train to Van Buren bridge and return. In all, almost went dead on the law by the time it was said and done. Once I was at the depot/office Saturday morning, I knew we were in for a long day on the day train. IF there's nothing happening on the line, our Track Warrant typically gives us "Work Between" authority, which means we own the railroad and can make reverse moves/return moves uninhibited. Nice. Such was not the case Saturday. There's track work going on out on the main. It's going 7 days a week. When I got our Track Warrant and Form D's, they read like this: Track Warrant SS 168 Saturday, Feb 11, 2012 To: AM 52 North X box 2: Proceed from YLMP 407.5 to MP 377 on MAIN track. X box 15: Flag protection not required against following trains on same track. X box 16: Track bulletins in effect; 260, 261 X box 17: Other specific instructions: 10 MPH at MP 412 plus 31 poles; Bailes track out of service - MOW equip; North 300 ft Copp East out of service - MOW Equip; Mainline Out Of Service MP 402 to MP 397 per Mueller OK time: 1013 hrs Dispatcher: MS After reading the two Form D's, here's what our trip looked like: MP 412 + 31: 10 MPH MP 406 - 402 + 30: 25 MPH MP 402 - MP 397: Mainline OUT OF SERVICE (EIC = Mueller) MP 402 - MP 401: 10 MPH MP 388.0 Bridge 25 MPH MP 387.1 Bridge 25 MPH MP 377: End of Limits (Opposing train to deal with.) On a "good day", once I leave the Yard Limit board northbound at MP 407.5, it's rock n' roll at 35 MPH until we're at Winslow (MP 375), then run-around and repeat same to the Yard Limit at 407.5. Saturday was not one of those "good days". We didn't even have authority to get to Winslow. (A psgr train from Springdale to Winslow to coordinate with). To make a long story short, we had a lot of slow going... got a slow order extended via radio, etc, etc. Had to wait on the MOW to clear up for us before we could receive permission to enter Foreman Mueller's limits. On and on. Once back at Fort Smith with the day train... we didn't have enough time to get the switching finished, and be set up for the dinner train. We shoved to the loading area 3 minutes late. We easily lost an hour or more with all the added delays. Wild day. I don't know... maybe some of you V scalers might not enjoy activities with elements such as above included... maybe you would. However, the above is "railroading", and happens all too often. What say V scalers... think you would enjoy the challenge of activities with things like the above included?

#2 rfranzosa

rfranzosa

Fireman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

What say V scalers... think you would enjoy the challenge of activities with things like the above included?

You bet, nothing I like more than sitting around waiting for a virtual train to move.....

Seriously, Andre, a little of that realism would be great. But only a little...

It reminds me of the first time I used a flight simulator, I think I had a cessna and decided to head across the country... until I realized it really WOULD be 5-6 hours.

I guess I'm too impatient. I'll use the CTRL-T speed up function way too often! Maybe I should stick to TSM and reskinning? ;-)

Rick

#3 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

I don't know, my personal favorite is trying to get talked through a Form B when the EIC has a crummy radio...or he doesn't understand the engine we're riding is pulling at full throttle and your blowing for one of the many crossings in town. Thus it's just a tad "noisy" in the background....he needs to speak up so we get all the pertinent information to repeat back with or without stopping in time. You ask him to repeat his instructions because you can't hear him & his mumble over the radio...and he gets pissy about it. Don't forget you've got other trains out there talking to the dispatcher who's radio trumps all. Add to that your conductor just recently was cut loose to work on his own. He sort of understands the signals, TWC and other related track authority issues...but this Form B is just a little to much for him to rap his head around. :blink:

There are days I wonder what in the world am I doing, how did I get myself into this mess. I hear in 10 years I'll make the official rank of railroader after most of my hair either turns completely white/gray or falls out.....or both.

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:25 AM

I hear in 10 years I'll make the official rank of railroader after most of my hair either turns completely white/gray or falls out.....or both.

Ah-hem... no hair? White??? We will NOT go there. :lol:

Reminds me of another humorous incident concerning a Conductor that was with me on a psgr train. I'll have to tell it later... gotta' get outta' here and go play trains for a while.

Later!