Photo

ULTRA Rare North Arkansas Pic! 12/5/11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:45 PM

Just discovered THIS little jewel of a pic today. Wow. Talk about a rare one! What you're seeing: You're seeing the Eureka Springs Railway shortly after reaching Eureka Springs, which would place it in February 1883, or shortly thereafter. In the 35+ years I've amassed info on the North Arkansas, this is only the third pic of the original engine, Eureka Springs #1, I have ever seen. The other two pics of it having been published (and republished elsewhere) in the "North Arkansas Line" book by the late Dr. James Fair. It is the ONLY pic of the complete orignal engine house I have EVER seen! I am DIGGIN' that gallows turntable, neat engine house... and did you notice the depot grounds appear to be fenced? Also note the construction clutter hither and yon. I know some of you will say "so what?"... but to me, this is a fantastic find. I'm trying to establish contact with the North Arkansas enthusiast that posted this pic to see if I can obtain a larger resolution scan of same. Oh how I wish it weren't so dad-gummed time-intensive to complete a route! There are so many routes I would love to complete!! (Might as well wish for operating turntables, too!) Oh well. Okay, break time's over... time for you to get back to your daily grind. :)

Attached Files

#2 rfranzosa

rfranzosa

Fireman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

SWEET!!

#3 TheGrindre

TheGrindre

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

YES SIR!!! Very sweet indeed... :D

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:31 PM

I know... love it. To use a term me ol' friend Herb uses: "That really turns my crank!!" And here's a likeness of Herb: :foof: Alas, I contacted the chap that shared that photo on the North Arkansas Yahoo email list I'm a part of, and that's the only size scan he has. The original stereoscope picture sold at an auction for $100. The engine pictured is Eureka Springs Rwy. #1, a 2-8-0 that looks very similar to a Baldwin Class56/60 narrow gauge Consolidated! Attached to this post you'll see two pics: 1. The non-cropped scan I have of the above pic. 2. The second of three pics I have of ES Rwy #1. Don't you agree that the ES Rwy #1 looks all the world like a Colorado narrow gauge engine? In fact, that pic of the ES Rwy #1 could have been taken somewhere in Colorado on a narrow gauge railroad if it werent' that chap standing next to it. (He'd be awfully small if that was a narrow gauge engine!) EDIT: Forgot to mention the ES Rwy #1 was purchased new. It was a Pittsburg 2-8-0 w/44" drivers. Built and delievered in 1882. Ah, to wish and hope: So many route dreams... so little time/energy. :(

Attached Files

#5 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

Cats! What pictures!