Photo

Day Of Discovery 2 11/19/11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

Hi All: Saturday the 19th the wife and I made a trek to the land of the Fayetteville & Little Rock, with a stopover at Cass to touch base with the Black Mountain & Eastern. Had a good time overall. Answered some questions: * Determined the orientation of a couple of early era pictures taken at Delaney, but the pictures are conflicting. (Oddly, I have two of the same pics, but one is a mirror image of the other.) Anyway, I determined which photo was correct, and in so doing learned that the camera looks west. This will help when the time comes to create the town of Delaney on the F&LR. * Found the location of the Phipps Bros sawmill at Cass. (It was served by the Black Mountain & Eastern, which will eventually be modeled.) Even found a surviving foundation pier! Tried to shoot a "then and now" pic... see pic below! * Determined the alignment of the F&LR through Elkins, including the likely depot location. AND... had a very serendipitous lunch at Crosses: Walking into the quaint old general store turned cafe/general store. (It's one of those stores with all kinds of antique nic nacs, signs, etc.) Anyway, headed for a typical booth. As we neared it to be seated, I saw an 8x11 train pic hanging just above it. It was a 1920's era pic of a train in front of the Crosses depot! Cool. Now I know what the Crosses depot looks like. (Crosses was another depot that escaped the Frisco's attempt to "standardize" their smaller depots with one of their Standard Depots, said Standard Depots eventually became nigh-ubiquitous over the entire system.) Also went up the divide to Boston where I'm in a pickle track laying. Said foray emphasized to me again just how rugged and inhospitable to railroading that land was/is. Lastly, got several texture pics off a log structure, an oxide red board n' batten structure, a couple of St. Paul structures, some water textures from the White River... and even shot a couple pics of two ancient headstones in the old overgrown cemetary at Cass. (One person was born in 1830! Several around the Civil War era. One from the Civil War era was noted as having been a member of the 41st Kentucky Infantry.) In all, it was a fun and relaxing time out in the Ozarks of Arkansas... with some discoveries to boot!

Attached Files