Photo

Opinion on Train Sim 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Angelo

Angelo

Station Clerk

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:46 PM

I have a quick question for the people that were able to try the product. Will the physics on the US trains be improved, or are they the same models from Railworks2? I hope they have been corrected, the physics in railworks2 were just completely off. How about the Union Pacific wide cab display console, it featured just a working speedometer, has this been improved as well. I noticed in some YouTube videos that it still uses the lousy horn for all US trains, the crossing lights flash to fast, and the bell is highly unrealistic. I care more for correct physics then a pretty looking sim. I guess that's why I have still been hooked on MSTS. What do you guys think of it so far, I have tried the NEC route on a friends PC and I felt it lacked immersion unlike MSTS, and the P42 left much to be desired.

#2 OwainGlyndwr

OwainGlyndwr

Conductor

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

I would like to ask without starting WW3, why so many people seem to be so mesmerised by pretty graphics. Yet there is no mention of the operational quality ( AI & Signalling ) of the game being updated. Does anyone know if there are any improvements, or is this update purely about the TSX game engine. Also could anyone who has bought the Horseshoe Curve route, post some piccies please. At 10 quid it would be worth me buying it. regards, Mike.

#3 Trainguy76

Trainguy76

Track Layer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:37 PM

There are physics and AI improvements. AI now can finally couple without an insane workaround, different locomotives in a consist are now unique, and do not have the same HP as the lead loco now. There is now cab sway, super-elevation now is included (you just need to create a new track rule). AFIAK, the feel seems to be much better in my opinion. In regards to Horseshoe Curve, I find it to be amazing. It most definetly worth it in my opinion, if you are interested in the time period. (50's).

#4 Angelo

Angelo

Station Clerk

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:28 AM

Its been out for a few days now, does anyone have any feedback on it? C'mon I thought there were a bunch of train sim fans here.

#5 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:38 AM

There are, and you received two replies. ;) Still too early to tell. RW3 has several bugs that RSC need to hammer out which might be one reason why the low response rate. Cheers! Marc

#6 OwainGlyndwr

OwainGlyndwr

Conductor

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

I bought the Horseshoe Curve route earlier. Very well crafted route and delightful to look at. One thing i don't appreciate, is being dictated to, as to what order i have to run the Standard Scenarios. I thought all that was reserved for Career Mode. The other thing that spoils RW3 in general for me is. There is movement from within the cabview ( sway and jolting ). But from the external view the loco is rock solid glued to the track, just like MSTS. cheers, Mike.

#7 Smokey

Smokey

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

I agree with the above post. It took awhile for the new upgrade to work with me. The first time I got the "2012" update it crashed. Now it's starting to work OK. I checked the integrity of the game as said that it found 5 files missing and it will upload/repair them the next time I run steam. So far it is working but the shadows are still a little shaky and not working completely the way they should. I have also bought Horse shoe curve and it's nice BUT I don't like that you have to run the scenarios in a certain order to unlock the next. If I paid for a route I should be able to run what I want when I want. The other thing about railworks that MSTS has is I miss the red block stops on sidings and wait for the AI train to go by but with railworks you don't get that.

#8 shawnbecher

shawnbecher

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:02 PM

This is the first sim I've bought since MSTS, and I can say that even after only going through the tutorials and 2 short scenarios, I'm hooked. Unfortunately the 3rd and 4th times I went to use it, my EXE file was missing, and I had to "validate files" in order to get it to work again. I'm currently waiting on it to finish doing so now so I can use it a 5th time. While I'm waiting, I'm looking for answers as to why this keeps happening. Anybody have any ideas?

#9 nlmcm

nlmcm

Conductor

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:17 AM

MSTS through the years had a dedicated band of users who helped improve the sim as time went on for all the rest of us, plus some add-on creators that made it super good. With RW upgrading/updating to now TS2012 (RW3) by the RS.com team, then you know you're working with a improving product - constantly. One disadvantage, we can't go back to the old product, unless of course, we do not connect to the internet, myself, would rather they update often. Physics for RW is simply horrible, imagine climbing Cajon's 4%, stop, and back up the train, uncoupling while engines are braking...you should expect the consist to continue, even accelerate, nope, it stops eventually on a downgrade no less. With MSTS years ago, pushing with a little SW1200 CB&Q 3 boxcars in a yard, uncouple and brake hard, the 3 cars glided down the yard track into other parked boxcars, causing one to jump the tracks on impact. The standing box cars in question, were 3/4 a mile away. RS.com folks need Derek, hands down. And yes, newer RS.com releases the freight/passenger cars physics are improving, the defaults, not yet. Amazes me that the developers out with add-on's don't improve the physics, which tells me that its the computer code internally, and is (way) off. Horns are created by an outside contractor to RS.com, an English firm. Rather difficult for them to acquire U. S. Rail roads sounds. Their are individual improvements available at the various sites, i.e., Railworks America just to name one, trainsim.com is another. This product was unveiled in early 2008, slightly over 3 years later, improvements are being made, unlike MSTS, only one update was available, in 11 years, we should be thankful, but keep your suggestions going (rant if you will) on the forums, you can bet, RS.com is reading, and prioritizing almost daily. Clickity-Clack, Peter

#10 jchillin

jchillin

Railfan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

Being fairly new to trainsims, I have now enjoyed two upgrades (RS to RW to TS2012 or RW3). I purchased HSC immediately after the upgrade finished loading. I was blown out of the water by the physics of the cab sway, the shadow effects, the super elevation (you have to experience this live...photos/vids just don't tell the whole story). If you think about it, RS.com has the lion's share of their product based in the UK but the first route to employ super elevation is in...the US! The only downside is that the overwhelming amount of reskinned assets have to be adjusted to keep up. Some of my US based loco's that were reskinned from default RS stock have cabview issues. Once all the kinks are knocked off, the possibilities are endless. My guess right now is that there will be an significant increase in night based scenarios.