Photo

More steam for those needing a fix ...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

Extra 90 (w/ 8618 pushing) bringing in the inbounds this morning.

The shot is taken at the summit grade crossing where the 1.25% grade levels out on to "The Flats." Turn it up and enjoy!

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

Excellent stack talk!

What kind of bike is that? biggrin.gif

#3 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Jul 13 2011, 10:05 PM) View Post
... What kind of bike is that? biggrin.gif

Oh, just another Sportster ... laugh.gif

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

Found the little linked clip by accident.

IF there was EVER a video that could REALLY get me interested in live steam... this is the clip.

FWIW, it also gives you an idea what the protoytpe lines were up against when bucking snow with a snowplow in the steam days.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#5 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

That was amazing, truly amazing smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

#6 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

It was fun to watch. IMHO, I thought the final 5 minutes were the best of the clip. (i.e. where he has to back out and make a run at it several times to clear the rail.)

Looks like fun!

Shame it's so dadgum expensive.

#7 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Aug 21 2011, 12:49 PM) View Post
Shame it's so dadgum expensive.
You talk like you've looked into that kind of model railroading once or twice. laugh.gif I've come to the conclusion...just about anything related to trains in the hobby since is expensive once you get away from MSTS.

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:03 PM

Hello Zack!

Why yes, I think I did!

In fact, I remember a robust young (at the time) man walking in the back yard and woods day-dreaming with me. Weren't you going to help me get the track in? biggrin.gif

The term "sticker shock" takes on an entirely new meaning when you look at live steam items. Even a simplistic steam locomotive will easily run over $10K. Completed track is something like $10 a foot.

Right you are about MSTS vs the price of toys. I'm currently "reallocating" my hobby funds via selling surplus "other scale" toys to "invest" in S scale toys. MSTS is WAAAAY cheaper to play with.

#9 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Aug 24 2011, 1:44 PM) View Post
In fact, I remember a robust young (at the time) man walking in the back yard and woods day-dreaming with me. Weren't you going to help me get the track in?
Who me? unsure.gif What makes you think I'd do something like that? laugh.gif
QUOTE(laming @ Aug 24 2011, 1:44 PM) View Post
The term "sticker shock" takes on an entirely new meaning when you look at live steam items. Even a simplistic steam locomotive will easily run over $10K. Completed track is something like $10 a foot.

Right you are about MSTS vs the price of toys. I'm currently "reallocating" my hobby funds via selling surplus "other scale" toys to "invest" in S scale toys. MSTS is WAAAAY cheaper to play with.
It maybe cheaper, but it's hard to have that group interaction while railroading like actual model railroading has...regardless of scale. The initial investment is lower with the motorcar/hy-rail side of the hobby...but in the long run I think it "catches up" with the live steam bunch. Oh well, it's just money...you can't take it with your when pull your last pin/throttle.