Photo

How do I edit passing siding lengths?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Scott

Scott

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

I'm new to editing track even though I've had MSTS for a long time and I want to edit the passing sidings to make them longer and I did it once and it messed up my route and to reinstall it. What's the correct way to do that?

#2 SAR704

SAR704

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

First of all, when doing any editing of this nature, backup your route first! If anything goes wrong, you simply copy the old version back, and try not to redo the same mistake again.

If you laid the original track, the first thing to keep in mind is the sections of track you used. Otherwise check if there is any dynamic track, and note all the values in the dynamic track window. Remove any signals and car spawners within a mile or so. Adjust the length of the siding to how you want it, reinstate the track, and test to make sure there are no errors. Then reinstate any interactives you removed.

How did you mess up the route in the first place? Details come inhandy here smile.gif

#3 Scott

Scott

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the help and I never removed any track objects before and it never displayed any dynamic track when I did it once it was after adding dynamic track.

#4 GaryG

GaryG

Conductor

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

Be forewarned - moving any track node will cause all existing paths that use that node to break - a switch is a track node.

GaryG

#5 SAR704

SAR704

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE(Scott @ Jul 11 2011, 11:12 AM) View Post

Thanks for the help and I never removed any track objects before and it never displayed any dynamic track when I did it once it was after adding dynamic track.

Use of dynamic track should be kept to an absolute minimum. I once had a stable length of track that had a gap in the middle which needed to be connected. Then, a piece of dynamic track was added as a fill in which rendered the now complete length of track undrivable. I had to effectively show the track as out of service, and enable a deviation as a workaround. There was no way to save it. This was only discovered when I went to remove the piece, and there was no backup from prior to adding the troublesome dynamic track section, without redoing a lot of things.

Basically, any use of dynamic track is inviting trouble, but using it where trains are likely to run over it is inviting even more. Another problem I have found with it is on longer sections where there is a continuous grade involving normal and DT sections. Even though the gradients will show up in the RE as the same as that of the normal track, I find sometimes that there are mysterious bumps where there shouldn't be. The worst case I have found was on the Penrice Quarry siding in the Barossa route, where there was a 1 in 45 grade involved. Even though all grades were the same, there was still a change of gradient that could be seen with the naked eye. I ended up relaying the siding, and the problem here disappeared.

If you have just connected dynamic track to the end of the normal track, then I would suggest adjusting it until the curve radii is equivalent to an available track piece, and reconnect the track. You can then note the lengths for the straight sections before and after the curve, and duplicate them. Alternately, you can remove the curve, place a straight piece at the end, and fill in the gap in the opposite direction towards where you started, in order to enable the first piece of the curve to be placed with perfect accuracy in the absence of dynamic track. This technique can also be used to assist in filling gaps with only non-default track addons.

I hope this makes some sense, and isn't too long winded smile.gif

#6 Scott

Scott

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

The thing is i made my siding longer ok and added dynamic track at both ends of the siding and I run my trains near the siding and the train uncouples and there's unconnected track in the activity editor.

#7 SAR704

SAR704

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

There are too many possibilities for your predicament to be blamed on one thing. The uncoupling sounds like a node issue. But the fact that they are uncoupling this close to the crossing loop is odd. There may be a TDB issue. Dynamic track wouldn't help this either. But if the TDB was already fragile, then it would merely exacerbate the problem.

How far away is the next closest set of points (node)? Can you post a screenshot of the siding from the RE?

#8 Scott

Scott

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

How do you fix TDB?