Photo

And now for something completely different ...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

I had to slip in this link of UP 844 whistle-stopping through Arkansas:

It's special for us because we had those driving wheels in our shops again this winter for machine work - I forget whether it was just truing or new tires. We also did the tender wheels this winter or last. Anyway, my colleagues in the shops are great steam machinists. We see the UP stuff come in, work on it and send it back to Cheyenne. It's good to be reminded what it is all about.

Andre, I know this is way east of you, but was 844 routed through Ft. Smith at all?

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

Hi Steve!

It passed through Van Buren yesterday. Of course, I was on the Ft. Smith Job... so Mike Ford told me about it. (He was over in VB having to load a sand train at the sand plant.) Even said someone walked up to him while he was down from the cab, and asked if I was back from Colorado?????

I have no idea who it was.

#3 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE(S. Weaver @ Jun 10 2011, 6:56 PM) View Post
It's special for us because we had those driving wheels in our shops again this winter for machine work - I forget whether it was just truing or new tires. We also did the tender wheels this winter or last. Anyway, my colleagues in the shops are great steam machinists. We see the UP stuff come in, work on it and send it back to Cheyenne. It's good to be reminded what it is all about.
Steve, I didn't realize your shop did some specialty work for UP's steam program...now that's cool if you ask me cool.gif
QUOTE(S. Weaver @ Jun 10 2011, 6:56 PM) View Post
Andre, I know this is way east of you, but was 844 routed through Ft. Smith at all?
It passed through Van Buren (across the muddy Arkansas River from FSM) Thursday about 1200-1400...I think that's the time I saw posted. I know when we (the crew I was on) were waiting to get out of Kansas City today...we could hear "UP 844" and KC East Metro Dispatcher discussing which routes they could and couldn't use due to radius of curves. Some days it's hard to put/keep the enthusiasm in the grip when something unusual like this is in the area...and you've got a front row seat. At one point it sounded like we were going to get hung out to dry in the yard while it passed. I guess when they figured out we were there...they shot us out of the yard faster than greased lighting...so I never did see. sad.gif

#4 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE(zhilton @ Jun 10 2011, 10:08 PM) View Post

... Some days it's hard to put/keep the enthusiasm in the grip when something unusual like this is in the area...and you've got a front row seat ...

Bro, I can imagine ... Keep your head and green lights!

#5 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Jun 10 2011, 10:08 PM) View Post
... It passed through Van Buren yesterday. Of course, I was on the Ft. Smith Job... so Mike Ford told me about it. (He was over in VB having to load a sand train at the sand plant.) Even said someone walked up to him while he was down from the cab, and asked if I was back from Colorado?????

I have no idea who it was.

Hah-hah! That's the UP Steam Program headhunter I sicced on ya ... told 'em that God's engineer is stuck in the cab of an Alco on a lowly Ft. Smith switch job ... Can't ya see you with that grapevine back at your left jaw, blowing past elevators at 75 mph, monitoring the back pressure and left glove tweaking the reverse gear? Puts new meaning in the phrase "Yee-haw!" biggrin.gif

#6 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(S. Weaver @ Jun 11 2011, 9:39 AM) View Post

Bro, I can imagine ... Keep your head and green lights!
That's this summer's "safety slogan"...Heads cut in. It's part of the occupation, just like the part about getting up in the middle of the night to get on a coal train. Oh well, they pay me do what I love. I'll put up with it. biggrin.gif