Photo

Howdy From Chama, NM! 5/29/11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

We're in Chama!! What a wild trip it has been! So far we've survived:

* 100+ degrees from the east Texas line all the way to Tucumcari, NM.

* Straight winds of 30 MPH with gust to 35-40.

* No rooms available at the town we had anticipated spending the night.

Like all motorcycle trips: It's an ADVENTURE!!

Wife handled about 580 miles of torturous conditions from west OK on. We WERE going to stop in Amarillo... but nooooo... Sharon said she was good to go and wanted to shoot for Logan, NM. Well... we did! But there were no rooms! SO... it was another 30 miles to Tucumcari. We were really, really tired. We were in bed by 8:30!!

The winds were still with us today, sometimes side wind, sometimes head wind... really tough.

BUT... we made it to Chama. Unfortunately, there is no steam right now in Chama on account of the Lobato Trestle being rebuilt. Still going to be a couple weeks or so. Oh well. For old time's sake we made a trip up to Cumbres once we were settled in. The Antonito train was already in for the evening. Sharon was a bit chilled so we were standing next to the firebox and letting her warm up a bit. As we did, the hostler told us to climb up in the cab and warm up. So... we did. It brought back some good memories to be in the cab of a working steam locomotive after several years.

Ah well... enough now. More later!

#2 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

Awesome, I love Tucumcari as its a neat railroad town. Noting like dogging those winds all day long and I think the sidewinds are the worst, especially in open country like that. One minute your listing into the wind and the next your correcting which makes for a long ride. Good thing your riding a bagger, makes all the difference smile.gif

#3 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:52 PM

Just to prove I still drop in to these forums smile.gif

What a great adventure Andre - 580 miles! I would run out of land over here if I went anything other than due North biggrin.gif

Rod

#4 PVL45

PVL45

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:33 PM

Hello Crew...I have been a lingerer(Im not sure if thats even a word...) in these forums for quite some time,and I must say awesome story,as Colorado/New Mexico Narrow gauge is awesome.I have some friends in my live steam club who are a part of the friends of the cumbres and toltec and have been rebuilding a section house and a few other buildings along the line for 20 years now...There are some very nice folks up there and are a little more easy going towards railfans then durango...But anywho keep us posted andre and let us know how it goes...I am fixing to depart on an adventure of my own ....I am trading my 1975 model 977 trackloader,at RJ Corman Derailment Services, for an RCL (Remote control Locomotive) box,and lantern as I start class at CSX'S REDI center,conductor class, starting monday...With alittle bit of luck I will never have to use my derailment training,or have to see the old crew lol.....Josh

#5 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

Update!!!

First off:

Thanks for the well wishing Kevin. Tucumcari is a pretty neat town.

Rod: Good to see you stop by! Have you ever been to the USA? It is quite large. LOTS of open spaces still. Wife and I love it.

Congrats Josh. I hope you enjoy the start of a new career. Be careful with the RCL. If you get SOFA updates, you've already read there has been an RCL-related fatality already this year.

Now... 'bout this trip....

The adventure continues in a major way! Right now we're back in Chama. Since my last update we've ridden:

* Chama to Silverton.
* Silverton to Leadville via Black Canyon of the Gunnison.
* Leadville to Ridgway.
* Durango to Chama.

You can never have a lousy Colorado trip and this one has been no exception.

I'm checking a few things on the net right now and then we're gonna' go eat some FANTASTIC tacos and stuff. Maybe later tonight I can share some experiences and thoughts. If not, for sure after we get home late Saturday evening.

Later!

#6 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

Looking forward to picturesw and diatribe when you get back smile.gif

#7 rfranzosa

rfranzosa

Fireman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:24 PM

.... and while you're out west, I'm on my first trip ever to Northern Arkansas (Mountain Home, Flippin). Beautiful country.

Business trip with my CEO, so no time for train chasing....

Rick

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:14 AM

Home safe and sound as of yesterday late afternoon. Working on the "catch up" things. Heading to NW AR in a few minutes to take Sharon to see her aging folks... back home later tonight.

I'm anxious to share some experiences and a few pics with you guys!

Until then... see 'ya!