Photo

Now I can die happy!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 tenore

tenore

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:51 AM

Hey all! I have not had the honor of meeting you guys, but I look forward to the day.

My wife had her 31st wedding anniversary on Tuesday. I got to go on a short train ride, out and back. I am not saying where because I'm not sure if they would get in trouble, because they let me drive the train on the way back in. I am surprised that my face is not split open from the grin.

Andre, you know where I'm talking about. I asked the conductor if he knew you, and he did not remember, but he said he would ask Robert. We got to talking train stuff, about MSTS and your add-ons, about how they come in to the area, and I think that is part of what got Teresa and I into the locomotive. When we got ready to go back to the yard, the brakeman asked if we wanted to ride in the cab. DUH!! The first thing Robert asked about was the cheese dip from Mexico Chiquito (don't know if you are familiar with them) I asked him about you and he said he knew you. He said you did the centennial celebration with them. He asked if I wanted to sit in THE seat and have Teresa take my picture. After I got over there, he told me just to drive a while, so I did. BIG FUN.

We wound up with a short video, but I haven't downloaded it yet. Hard to describe how much I enjoyed it.

H.D.

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

You're talking about Robert Dortch!

I didn't have nearly the dealings with Robert as I did with his late father, Bob, nor Robert's brother David. Robert ran (still does?) the office... and Bob and David were involved in operations. Operations and the mechanical side of things is where I busied myself 100% of the time! Oh, how I wish the steam engines were still operational! Had they been, your cab experience would have been life changing, in regards to your preferred motive power!

The "Centennial Celebration" Robert referred to was more likely the event I organized, prepped equipment for, and coordinated operations/officiated over, called "Railfest '86". It was all about railfanning and steam railroading, complete with freight trains, helpers, double headers, mixed freights, a night freight... yard switching... it was great! I have some raw footage via VHS video that I would love to share IF I could learn to convert to digital/up-loadable format. It was a fantastic weekend. Basically, Bob Dortch turned his railroad over to me for the weekend and all attendees (customers), and all of us crews, had a fantastic time. The night freight w/rear helper was an AWESOME experience!

Happy for you!

#3 tenore

tenore

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:37 AM

Robert did tell me that they sent one of their steam locos to Reader for a rebuild. I don't know which one it was, but it's small enough to truck.

I can check with my son about converting the VHS to digital and see how complicated it is. It would be pretty cool to see that. Did they have more track at the time? I wondered what happened to their right of way.

I think it was the Railfest, that rings a bell. Robert said you were heavily involved in it. I didn't catch the conductor's name, but I guess it's possible he was Bob. He was about the right age. Robert did mention something about his mother though, that made me think his father might be dead.

They have two steam locos there. There is a Baldwin that is in pretty bad shape, the cab is gone, it is partially dissembled, the steam chest (?) on the left side is rusted out. Looks like it needs help soon.

The other is the Panama Canal engine, (203?). It looks to be in fairly good shape. I didn't ask Robert anything about either one of them.

#4 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:32 AM

Last May at this time, I walked around the yard with Andre and received the blow-by-blow account of happy railroading at Railfest '86. I could almost imagine it with his passionate recollection ...

#5 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

HD:

Given that the 226 and the 201 were on hand, that would mean that my favorite engine is (hopefully) being rebuilt at Reader. If the One Spot gets returned to service, that would be GREAT news. That so, I WILL be back up to Eureka Springs to do some recollection and enjoy the sound of No. 1 barking up through Leatherwood Hollow once more!!

Thanks for that info!

Steve:

We had a great time, didn't we? Though the ES&NA never did have a lot of mainline miles... it made up for it with a great show and lots of hands-on exposure for the enthusiasts.