Photo

'Nuther Road Trip Soon!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

Perhaps you'll recall that I swapped my hot rod Harley Davidson Deuce for an Ultra Classic. Reason for this was so Sharon can ride in comfort and enjoy biking as much as possible for her.

(Pic of our new bike here: http://www.3dtrains....showtopic=17637 )

One of the MAIN reasons we purchased the Ultra was so we could take bike vacation trips together, instead of me having to go by myself... either that or limit ourselves to a 200 miles per day. (Her limit of comfort on the hot rod Deuce.) You can't go very far and see new things doing 200 miles a day.

Well...

Our first road trip on our new Ultra is coming up in a few weeks. We intend to head west.

First stop, Chama, New Mexico and the Cumbres & Toltec.

Next up will be Silverton, CO. From Silverton, we'll be riding part of the ol' RGS area from Ridgway, over to Telluride, up to Pandora, then back out to the hiway and down through Ophir, Lizard Head, and onto Rico. From Rico, we'll return to Silverton to spend the night.

From Silverton it will be off toward Montrose and heading for Colorado Midland country. We'll be passing through Aspen, over to Leadville via Independence Pass, then along the CM through Hartsell, Buena Vista, Trout Creek Pass... Florissant... perhaps Divide and Woodland Park?

From there it's back toward D&RG and DSS&P territory: Salida, Poncha Springs, Monarch, Marshall Pass, Sargents, Pitkin, Gunnison... then down toward Creed and end up back at Chama before leaving for the house.

Anyway... all of the above is because we're both really ready for a Colorado "fix". Seeing as the entire purpose of this vacation will be to cover miles and see things... it's quite an ambitious undertaking!

Big plans! It will be interesting to see how it works out for us!! (We may have to cut our route short??)

I'm PUMPED!!

All for now!

#2 Dejoh

Dejoh

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

Sounds like a great trip, you sure have a fine bike for it. Took the same route in the 70's (76 Dodge Tradesman van) only problem was that it was the winter and the roads were rather icey. Check out http:// therailchannel.com/index.htm Nice article on the Chamas turn.

#3 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

Uh-oh, bring the CM out of storage ... tongue.gif

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations