Photo

Computer Issues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:22 AM

Hi All:

Typing this using the wife's computer. My primary computer has had a failure and will not boot. Uncertain at this point as to whether its a hardware issue or an unresolved software issue from a bug I had to fight last week. Uncertain at this point whether my primary hard drive can be salvaged.

At this point I can not process any orders, and my time to check this forum will be very limited.

I will let you all know more when I know more.

#2 scottb613

scottb613

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:00 AM

Hi Andre,

Sorry - I don't know how computer savy you are - so if you have the problem in hand - please ignore... If you don't have one - I would get one of these - or similar... They are extremely useful...

http://www.newegg.co...9-011-_-Product

You can then plug your questionable hard drive into your wifes computer and see if you can get the data off it before messing with the drive while trying to recover it...

Regards,
Scott

#3 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:08 PM

Hi Scott:

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully, my computer guy (used him for something like 8 years?) can get it up and going. It may be a corrupt OS. I just dropped the box off tonight, and will know more in the next day or so.

IF it is an OS issue, then once here at the house, all data will be saved off the primary drive... and though it's way overdue, it's time to upgrade.

#4 jbshay

jbshay

Ticket Inspector

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:24 PM

Hi Andre,

I'm going through the same thing, so I feel for ya.

My problems started with an automatic renewal of an anti-spyware program and I just couldn't wait for the computer to boot up before checking what was new. Corrupted the video driver
and lost internet access. Worst of all, I couldn't run Train Simulator. No, I take that back - worst of all, I hadn't finished my taxes!

Managed to finish the taxes on my wife's computer, had some help in restoring the video driver, but still can't get on the internet (I'm at work now - lunch time). At least I can run trains again (Yay!)

Hmmm, upgrade has a nice ring to it.

Good luck!
Jim

#5 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:24 PM

Latest news:

It seems to be the operating system. If idle for 20-30 minutes, the system reboots. If I'm using it, then I have used it up to 3 hours with no crash. Go figure.

Anyway...

I am in the process of moving all of my programs from this old C drive to my new in-box F drive (300 GB). Once done, I will make the new F drive the C drive and upgrade the operating system thereon. I will then go to external drives for back up. The C drive will become the F drive and can be used as a utility drive until it fails.

Still thinking about upgrading the mother board and video card, but I need all the above finished first.

So there you have it... I'm still floating along!

#6 spud

spud

Fireman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

Andre,
did your 'computer guy' make sure it was cleaned? Sounds like it might be an overheating problem which could be caused by dust, dirt and grime clogging the 'pores'.

#7 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

Hi Spud:

Yes, he gave it a good cleaning, as did I before I took it over to him. In addition, he checked the heat range on the CPU and video card processor. Both running cool.

Remember: It runs fine as long as it's in USE. It's when it's IDLE that it corrupts itself and crashes w/reboot. It only takes about 20 minutes of idle time and then it will reboot itself. Weird.

#8 spud

spud

Fireman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:11 AM

When the computer is idle is it in sleep mode or just sitting there perking away? Do you have any screen saver running? Just questions I would ask myself as I am no guru by any stretch.