Photo

'Nuther Rare Photo! 4/7/11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hi 'ya Gang! Gonna' share another rare and obscure photo with you.

I've had this one for years... but didn't know what I was seeing until the past year or so.

When I discovered this photo over a decade ago, I originally wondered if this was the Phipps Mill at Combs, Arkansas. However, the caption says "Fayetteville, Ark". Now, I knew that the Phipps Lumber Co. HEADQUARTERS was in Fayetteville, so thought maybe that was the reference. There's several elements in this photo that COULD be in Combs, Arkansas... but there were too many some "hmmmm" items. So, I filed it away until I could come up with more information.

That I did.

Turns out that Phipps had a large milling operation in Fayetteville located on the Ozark & Cherokee Central. However, NOT just a "sawmill", but also plow, buggy, and wagon parts factories.

This is a picture of that operation. (I also have a Sanborn map showing part of the complex! Tee hee!! tongue.gif )

I have intentionally left the image LARGE so any interested could save it to their hard drive, then expand it and examine it closely. You're gonna' LOVE the hodge-podge of road names on the flat cars!!!

Now... got a question: WHERE do you think did those logs came from? biggrin.gif

Yup... I HIGHLY suspect those flats of logs came from the Phipps operations out on the St. Paul Branch, and possibly even the Black Mountain & Eastern!

Ain't researching history FUN?

Attached Files

#2 TheGrindre

TheGrindre

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

Can you identify the locomotive?

#3 spud

spud

Fireman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:08 AM

Notice all the 'suits' trying to look casual and important!

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

Hi Rick:

The closest I can come to identifying it, is that I THINK it is a Frisco 0-6-0 with a slope back tender.

However, it COULD be an Ozark & Cherokee Central engine, but even if it is, it would likely be a Frisco engine, for the OC&C leaned heavily on leased Frisco power.

Spud:

If I only knew which one, it is VERY likely one of those men is J.H. Phipps, himself! Seein' as J.H. would be the one that owned the company and payed the payroll... I'd say he probably didn't have to try too hard to be important! biggrin.gif

#5 spud

spud

Fireman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

My guess would be the gentleman at center left leaning on the end of the log. He seems to be the only one smart enough to not climb up on something that can roll over and crush you in seconds!
foof.gif

#6 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:02 PM

That picture is almost scratch and sniff - the mud, bark and timber; the drayage team.

#7 scottb613

scottb613

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:36 AM

I like the way you have all the guys standing around in that muck - in SUITS... Always have to be the dapper dresser when working around the old log mill... People really dressed for work back then... Great shot - love the old pictures...

Regards,
Scott