Photo

Yee haw!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 tenore

tenore

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

Okay Andre. Got to work last night for about an hour. Tried the newbie activity, got to Beaver and waited...and waited... and thought, I missed something, so went on. Didn't miss something then. Started again, sitting at Beaver, waiting...waiting..., not going to go this time, cause I don't want to hit another train, got to many old wounds as it is, suddenly realized I have been here before! I have been to Beaver and crossed the suspension bridge several times, seen the remains of the old rr bridge and seen the obvious railbed. Was kind of excited to know I had been there before. It got late, so I'll go back to Beaver tonight.
So, you used to drive a truck too! I drove back in the 80's, for about three years before my wife got tired of it. I was driving mostly Mid-South area, hauling either grain or lumber.
And I see you have my job now. I am hoping when I die, I will get to be an engineer in heaven. I saw on the web where I can go to Rusk, TX and drive a steam engine. Do you know anything about that tourist RR?
H.D.

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

Hi H.D.!

You said:

Tried the newbie activity, got to Beaver and waited...and waited... and thought, I missed something, so went on. Didn't miss something then.

Surprise! tongue.gif That's what happens when you run past your Train Order authority in dark territory! biggrin.gif

Started again, sitting at Beaver, waiting...waiting..., not going to go this time, cause I don't want to hit another train...

I can't remember that activity, but a general tip: Be sure you're tripping the double reverse points at a meeting place. You can tell when they're tripped by bringing up the F4 window. When the little hook(s) disappears... the reverse points are tripped. Your switches should line before/behind... and you're ready to wait for the opposing train.

.... suddenly realized I have been here before! I have been to Beaver and crossed the suspension bridge several times, seen the remains of the old rr bridge and seen the obvious railbed. Was kind of excited to know I had been there before. It got late, so I'll go back to Beaver tonight.

Some parts of the StLNA route are pretty darn close in regards to "feel". Other locations, I used poetic license. blush.gif IF I had it to do all over again... I'd use less poetic license and more prototype. However, in all, the StLNA is a fun little route.

So, you used to drive a truck too! I drove back in the 80's, for about three years before my wife got tired of it. I was driving mostly Mid-South area, hauling either grain or lumber.

I used to haul lumber, too. Uncanny, huh?

And I see you have my job now.

Though I still enjoy railroading, I gotta' tell you that today's railroading just ain't like it used to be. (In a lesser sense.)

I saw on the web where I can go to Rusk, TX and drive a steam engine. Do you know anything about that tourist RR?

I don't know much at all about the Texas State RR.

Speaking of steam: In retrospect, I look back now and feel that the paychecks I drew for running steam engines at the Eureka Springs & North Arkansas were some of the most rewarding and enjoyable RR paychecks I've ever drawn.

I really miss that little line.

#3 tenore

tenore

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

Hah! Had fun last night. Did the first training run again. Didn't realize about the switch points and waited awhile and then just went and hit the oncoming and noted the time. Started the activity again and went to Beaver thinking the southbound would arrive shortly after the time noted. Still didn't show. Exited that activity and did the activity from Seligman to Berryville. When I got to the siding at Beaver, something triggered the dialog box about the switch points having to be set for the oncoming train, and when I moved back away from the depot a bit, they changed and then lo and behold, here comes the northbound.
It always takes a little longer when you are OLD!! It is fun though. Thanks for all your work.

#4 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

The North Arkansas is a hoot. Glad you enjoy it.

#5 tenore

tenore

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

Andre,
I wanted to give you another compliment on the StL&NA. I got my wife to come in when I was sitting at Beaver and asked her if she recognized where it was. We came across the bridge over the White and stopped at the Beaver depot. When I asked her where we were (I told her she had been there before) she immediately recognized the Ozarks. Alas, she didn't recognize Beaver, she's not THAT old! When I reminded her about crossing the White, she remembered the suspension bridge and knew where it was. By the way, if you want to cross the bridge, you better do it soon. The AHTD has it in their crosshairs.
H.D.

#6 jbshay

jbshay

Ticket Inspector

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:29 PM

Hi HD,

It's funny how we've all come to recognize parts of Arkansas through Andre's work. The other night, I was watching a Smithsonian program of a aerial view of Arkansas. One of the opening shots was a town perched on a hillside and my first reaction was that the railroad should have run "there". Of course, it was Eureka Springs.

Because all the footage was shot from the air, you could see just how rugged the terrain is. I am always amazed at the thought of someone hiking or riding on horseback into these areas and thinking "Yeh, I think in can put a track through here".

Have fun, but watch your air!

Jim