Photo

Fort Smith

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 tenore

tenore

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

Hi Andre. I noticed on some earlier posts you were working on the Fort Smith area. Did you incorporate this into one of the downloads. Growing up there in the '60's I remember the bridge across the Arkansas River that went from downtown over to Moffitt and west. Don't remember if it tied back to MP at Dora or not.
Tried to remember how the MP line went to Greenwood, and was able to see much on the old line on Google maps.
Moved to South Fort Smith when I was seven, in '64. Lived at Phoenix and 29th street. Could hear the trains down six blocks down near the coffin factory.
When I was little Dad & Mom would take me to see trains to keep me from fussin'. Got to go to the Frisco yard when I was in Cub Scouts and ride the roundtable and a switch engine in the yard. It was fun. I remember there were frogs down in the roundtable pit and they were an odd color (same as the walls of the pit). I don't remember what color they were.
Used to go swimming up at the Silver Bridge.
H.D. Tripp

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hi H.D.!

Glad to have you join us here at my VSC forum!

Lessee' what 'cha had to say...

I noticed on some earlier posts you were working on the Fort Smith area. Did you incorporate this into one of the downloads.

Nope. No part of the Frisco Lines project has been incorporated into any existing VSC route.

Growing up there in the '60's I remember the bridge across the Arkansas River that went from downtown over to Moffitt and west. Don't remember if it tied back to MP at Dora or not.

That would be the Helen Gould Bridge. originally built by the St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern in 1891. It was dismantled after the Frisco bridge was upgraded with a lift span for river navigation. This would have been the early 70's. That rails tied-in with the Mop mainline at a location called "Greenwood Jct" during the time period you mention. During the Iron Mountain days, Greenwood Jct was called Cherokee Jct.

Tried to remember how the MP line went to Greenwood, and was able to see much on the old line on Google maps.

Google Maps is our friend!

Moved to South Fort Smith when I was seven, in '64. Lived at Phoenix and 29th street. Could hear the trains down six blocks down near the coffin factory.

Those rails were originally the Arkansas Central to Paris. During the time frame you mention, there should have been a fair amount of switching to do at South Fort Smith (the location of Arkansas Casket/Coffin), as well as at North American Foundry, and a fair amount of coal traffic to/from the Paris area.

When I was little Dad & Mom would take me to see trains to keep me from fussin'.

Smart parents! Dad would appease my desire for TRAINS when I was but a youngster in KC.

Got to go to the Frisco yard when I was in Cub Scouts and ride the roundtable and a switch engine in the yard. It was fun.

Now how cool is that? Don't you wish you had taken pictures?

Used to go swimming up at the Silver Bridge.

Are you referring to the Silver Bridge that was up by Mountainburg, or the one over by Mulberry? I have swam at the swimming hole at the Mulberry Silver Bridge many times!

Nice hearing from you and stop by often!

#3 tenore

tenore

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:40 PM

I am assuming (often gets me in trouble) that you are not doing all the FS work just for fun. Are you going to do another system in the future?
Ya know, I forgot about the coal mine in Paris. I knew the line went that far and seems I vaguely remember it going on toward Dardanelle. I'm pretty sure I remember the trackage between Subiaco and Delaware.
Yes, I wish I had pictures from the railyard. Several friends I haven't seen for a long time, plus the cool railroad stuff.
I was referring to the Mountainburg version of the Silver Bridge. Was the Mulberry bridge just north of where I-40 crosses now? If that's it, then I went swimming there several times. That's where I found out the old wives tale about snakes not biting underwater is not true. Not me thank goodness, just a fish.
Do you know the lumber mill up Hwy 23 before you get to the Mulberry? I wondered if that might be the same one in the pictures.
I thought the old cars modified to run on rails were pretty neat. The one at the front looks like an outhouse on wheels. We were wondering here at work if maybe they were moving some sort of little shed somewhere up the line. I like getting out and wandering the old roads and railbeds.
H.D.

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:59 PM

Hi H.D.!

Lessee' what'cha said...

I am assuming (often gets me in trouble) that you are not doing all the FS work just for fun.

Actually, yes, I am doing the Frisco Lines because it is fun to me. This has been a high interest area and era for me for a loooong time.

Are you going to do another system in the future?

By "system", do you mean a commercial release?

Yes and no.

No: I have no set schedule whatsoever on the Frisco Lines. It is a huge project. I will work on it when I have the fever to do so. I will do other things when the lack of energy level indicates it's time to take a break.

However...

Yes: IF I get a small segment completed, then I intend to package that segment up and release it for consumption to any interested. There are several such small segments that can be bitten off and completed enough to release. For example:

* The Frisco's Mansfield Branch from Jenson, AR to Mansfield, AR - about 17 miles.

* The Frisco's mainline from Jenson, AR to Fort Smith, AR - about 17 miles.

* The Midland Valley from Maney Jct to Excelsior and its Greenwood branch (spur) - about 10 miles.

* The Midland Valley from Excelsior to Hartford, AR - about 12 miles.

* The Iron Mountain & Southern from Van Buren, AR through Fort Smith, AR to Greenwood, AR. - about 18 miles.

* The Black Mountain & Eastern from Combs, AR to Cass, AR. - about 17 miles.

Once the branches are in place, I could then start completing the scenery work on the Frisco's main line from Van Buren, AR to Monett, MO - about 126 miles - releasing segments of same as completed.

The FIRST segment released would include the completed segment, plus ALL the rest of the route, sans scenery. That is, all the track and basic terrain would be in place. This would have to be CD (or DVD) ONLY. From there, I hope I could update with only the files needed to update with via download, thus holding down bandwidth for such a large route project.

Now, having said ALL THAT... let me remind everybody so as not to be carrot dangling: No time schedule. Doing this as I can and as I want to... and having a ton of fun in the process.

Ya know, I forgot about the coal mine in Paris. I knew the line went that far and seems I vaguely remember it going on toward Dardanelle. I'm pretty sure I remember the trackage between Subiaco and Delaware.

Yes, "back when" the line went to Dardanelle. There it also connected with yet another obscure Arkansas shortline: The Dardanelle, Ola & Southern! (Want to see a pic of one of their engines? smile.gif )

The tracks you recall east of Paris tracks would have been out of service, but could have very likely been in place when you were a youngster.

I was referring to the Mountainburg version of the Silver Bridge.

Ah... understood.

Was the Mulberry bridge just north of where I-40 crosses now? If that's it, then I went swimming there several times.

Yup, that's it.

Do you know the lumber mill up Hwy 23 before you get to the Mulberry? I wondered if that might be the same one in the pictures.

That would not be the one. There is an active charcoal plant just north of Ozark on Hwy 23 (smells GREAT)... then there's an older sawmill on the east side of Hwy 23 as you're coming into Cass. However, neither would be in the location of the mill that was pictured in a previous thread.

I'll type more about this tonight in an appropriate thread.

I thought the old cars modified to run on rails were pretty neat.

Me too! Though it isn't steam, it's still pretty cool.

I like getting out and wandering the old roads and railbeds.

You're in good company here, then! Several of us enjoy that!

IF you ever want to hike the Black Mountain & Eastern, it is still in great shape for hiking. It would easiest to find by going to the location east of Summit where the roadbed leaves the county road. Easy to see, easier to follow when hiking.

Got a feeling Steve W. would LOVE to hike that roadbed!

Welp... all for this one, off to the next thread to reply...

#5 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Mar 30 2011, 8:40 PM) View Post

Got a feeling Steve W. would LOVE to hike that roadbed!

Darn tootin'!