Photo

A Lil' Peek 2/5/11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#21 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hah-hah, HD! You're a goner - Andre, you devil, you hooked another one! More wasted hours running teakettles through the worst physical characteristics on the planet ... laugh.gif

#22 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:33 PM

Oh boy! More replies!! Let's get to it!!

H.D. said...

Man, this is really fun for me to watch, being from the same area.

I know! That's one of the neatest things about working on something that I have had an interest in for so long: It's rewarding to see it taking shape.

Can't wait for you to finish.

Welllll... that might be a spell. Quite a spell. I do hope to SOMEDAY get some smaller segments finished to the point they can be released... but that will be a while. Right now I am enjoying getting the track in place. Still have the BM&E to lay... and the rest of the Frisco from Rogers to Monett.

I can understand that having a personal interest in an area makes it easier to persevere.

And that is one of THE reasons I have indulged myself in this Frankenroute: ALL of the rail subjects therein have been HIGH INTEREST areas for me for decades.

Is Maney Jct in Ok? I know there is a place west of Hartford that we called Rock Island. Is that where it is?

That is correct. Maney Jct was renamed Rock Island about 1910, I believe.

Once I get some more hands on with the MSTS, I might try my hand at the trackage from FS to Paris in the same time frame as yours.

Take your time, learn the ins/outs of MSTS, and once thoroughly comfortable with MSTS, begin to learn the Route Editor by placing static scenery items in a route... or just dabbling. IF you want to get serious about route building, I would recommend the MSTS route building book by Michael Vone and available at trainsimulator.com.

I really like the steam era, and your pictures of locations are cool.

I do too! I could look at TOC19 railroad pictures all night long. In fact, some nights I do!!!

I see from the maps that the Phipps lumber location is near where the Cass CCC unit is and that the rail line goes west over near White Bluff. How close was it to where Shore Lake is now?

Referring to the "A Day Of Discovery" thread you mention, I have pinpointed the Phipps Mill's location more accurately for you. (See the thread.)

As for where the BM&E rails went: They went from Combs, AR to Cass, AR. Looking at Map 1 in the "Day Of Discovery" thread, you'll note my highlight heads north on the FOREST ROAD through "Summit". With very minor variations, the forest road IS the roadbed from just south of Summit almost all the way to Combs. No rails of any line ever got near the Shores Lake area.

By the way, downloaded the StL and the loco's late last night, after I downloaded all the upgrades from Steam4me and they look great. Didn't run much because it was late, but am looking forward to running it tonight.

Great! I hope you enjoy the StLNA and the Equip Pack very much! Thank you very much for your purchases.

Steve said:

Hah-hah, HD! You're a goner - Andre, you devil, you hooked another one! More wasted hours running teakettles through the worst physical characteristics on the planet ... laugh.gif

Got another one! Bwahahahahahahahaa! devil.gif

BTW Steve...

Sharon and I went and DONE IT: I traded-in the Deuce and got us an Ultra Classic. biggrin.gif

Found an '09 with only 2000 miles on it and got a whale of a deal. (The dealers are hungry in this lousy economy.) We take delivery this coming Saturday morning bright and early. Guess where we're headed after we make the exchange? Yup... we're heading up Hwy 23 through Cass (with a side stop at the newly learned about Phipps Mill location)... all the way to Eureka Springs for lunch at Bubba's BBQ. We will be home that evening.

PLUS: We're looking at two road trips this year...

First one MAY be the Memorial Day week and heading out to Chama for a few days. (IF the C&TS get Lobato trestle back in service by then.)

Second one will be to the Black Hills area during Labor Day week. We intend to go out through Dodge City, KS, over to Pueblo, up into Wyoming and into the Black Hills. We already have a cabin picked out near Keystone.

I'm PUMPED!!!

#23 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

Cats! An Ultra Classic, huh? Well, Miss Sharon should like that ... You keep this up and you'll talk me into another road trip!