Photo

Winter Railroading

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 alcomech

alcomech

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

This has nothing to do with V Scale (or it's fine products) but I thought I'd share pictures from work today. This morning after being called I decided to bring my camera along, knowing that it was to be a winter wonderland the further north we got. Was called on an empty coal train out of Van Buren Arkansas, taking it to Coffeyville Kansas. With the sun out, it turned out to be a very nice trip. Felt for the countless people I saw stranded along highways and back roads. Glad I was on rails and not pavement.

#1: Following along the Arkansas river between Gore and Braggs Oklahoma

#2: Coming into Braggs Oklahoma. The steam from the OG&E coal plant in Fort Gibson can be seen in the distance

#3: Approaching the end of TWC/ABS territory and entering CTC at Fort Gibson. The OG&E spur can be seen to the left. It runs about 2 miles to the plants 1 1/2 mile long balloon track.

#4: Just crossing onto CTC. "The Polaroid Kidd" has his mark in a few locations along the Wagoner sub.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#2 alcomech

alcomech

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

#5: Was told by to the dispatcher we would have to set out the second motor out in the one of the yard tracks at Cookson (Wagoner OK). We got lined in the siding, the old KO&G mainline, and saw that yesterdays local didn't even get to leave town.

#6: Just got back to our train after setting out the motor. You can see my boot prints walking to and from the derail that was buried under 12 inches of snow.

#7: Got the signal out of Cookson and headed north. Here is the interlocker that connects Union Pacific's Wagoner and Cherokee subdivisions.

#8: Claremore Oklahoma got a lot of the white stuff. This was moments before impact on a large chunk of snow that had been plowed.

#9: A look back at our train as we climbed Claremore hill. Even though it was an empty coal bucket, the steep grade still got us down to 20 MPH.

Well that's all! Happy to be in a warm hotel now. Thanks for looking.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#3 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:04 PM

I think that's one of the empties that were turned back out of Newark yesterday. This morning was the first time since Sunday that they called crews off the board to move the empties. Had three stacked up between Cotter and Nevada.

#4 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

What a beautiful set of photos - smile.gif

Rod

#5 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

On the other side of that blowing snow is a steam engine. On the other side of the steam engine is a crew attempting to re-rail a snowplow. blink.gif On days like this, the romance just blows out of it ...

Attached File  475blowing_snow.jpg   105.06KB   52 downloads

#6 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

Thomas:

Hope you're doing well.

Nice series of pics. I guess the Tulsa and OKC area got hit the hardest.

Steve:

That is a very dramatic pic. It looks SOOOOO cold and miserable.

On days like we've been having, I am SO glad I am sitting in a warm cab and not working the ground all day!

#7 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

FWIW:

Better enjoy this type of pic while you can. Just learned that March 2011 yet ANOTHER new FRA rule goes into effect, this time banning personal cameras aboard operating engines. dry.gif

So much for sharing my world with you. sad.gif

#8 spud

spud

Fireman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Feb 4 2011, 3:57 PM) View Post

FWIW:

Better enjoy this type of pic while you can. Just learned that March 2011 yet ANOTHER new FRA rule goes into effect, this time banning personal cameras aboard operating engines. dry.gif

Andre,
just 'donate' your camera to the RR (for one shift) then use the 'company camera'!
Later,
Spud

#9 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE(S. Weaver @ Feb 3 2011, 5:30 PM) View Post

On the other side of that blowing snow is a steam engine. On the other side of the steam engine is a crew attempting to re-rail a snowplow. blink.gif On days like this, the romance just blows out of it ...
Yes it does...especially when it's your turn "in the barrel" (working the ground). The down side to working a dual-qualified terminal...your not in the seat everyday. And when it's your turn to work the ground with drifts up to your thigh on the yard lead...ya' have to love it to keep coming back for more. Or your one sick, sick individual. laugh.gif

#10 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Feb 4 2011, 6:57 PM) View Post

FWIW:

Dude, hate to break the news ... it's been in effect. That's why no cab shots from yours truly since FRA EO 26 went into effect some time ago. Like you're a hazard ... rolleyes.gif

#11 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hmm. I recall FRA EO 26 dealing primarily with cell phones. As I read it, the actual rule is now expanded to cover cameras, too. I think the official document is: FRA-2009-0118

Below is a link to the federal page outlining it. Note the date it becomes official.

http://www.federalre...ctronic-devices

HOWEVER... be that as it may... since I took some more... here's one from today.

Basically, we got hammered again. This was taken in the morning... it did this off/on most of the day. We got off light... the Springdale terminal got 24" of the stuff last I heard. Doesn't really show it, but it was really coming down in a major way here.

Man... that heater felt SOOOO good and that cup of coffee was SOOOO nice!

Attached Files

#12 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Feb 9 2011, 6:29 PM) View Post

Hmm. I recall FRA EO 26 dealing primarily with cell phones ...

And "personal electronic devices" - read, cameras. I had to teach it back then.

QUOTE(laming @ Feb 9 2011, 6:29 PM) View Post

Basically, we got hammered again. This was taken in the morning... it did this off/on most of the day. We got off light... the Springdale terminal got 24" of the stuff last I heard. Doesn't really show it, but it was really coming down in a major way here.

Man... that heater felt SOOOO good and that cup of coffee was SOOOO nice!

It's starting to get nice up here now. I am with child for Spring.

#13 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

You're probably right!

And yes, I'm ready for Spring. In fact, it was in the upper 60's here today!

#14 cricetus

cricetus

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:49 AM

Very nice pics, thanks Andre

#15 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Feb 15 2011, 8:22 PM) View Post

You're probably right!

And yes, I'm ready for Spring. In fact, it was in the upper 60's here today!

I took the HOG out for a short spin today to blow out the short shots, it was 45. No chaps but the only cold was on the face, its still a bit chilly....come on spring.... smile.gif smile.gif

#16 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

Tsk, tsk, Kevin. Sorry 'bout the cold air. tongue.gif

Wife and I rode our Deuce to Talihina, OK, ate at one of our favorite dives, the Hateful Hussy Diner, an' then did some exploring in the Ouachita Mountains. It was 73 degrees!!!

Oh... and by the way: While knocking about on Main Street at Talihina, I found and viewed two excellent steam photo enlargements of the Frisco at Talihina. One was taken in the TOC19 era, the other looked to be about the 30's.

In all it was an EPIC DAY!

Have I mentioned here before that Talihina was a helper station on the Frisco? Oh... and that the southbound ascent of Winding Stair Mountain had some stretches of 3% grade?

Sad note: The Frisco rails were removed from the Ouachita Mountains in the early 80's.

#17 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Feb 19 2011, 9:27 PM) View Post

Tsk, tsk, Kevin. Sorry 'bout the cold air. tongue.gif

Wife and I rode our Deuce to Talihina, OK, ate at one of our favorite dives, the Hateful Hussy Diner, an' then did some exploring in the Ouachita Mountains. It was 73 degrees!!!

Oh... and by the way: While knocking about on Main Street at Talihina, I found and viewed two excellent steam photo enlargements of the Frisco at Talihina. One was taken in the TOC19 era, the other looked to be about the 30's.

In all it was an EPIC DAY!

Have I mentioned here before that Talihina was a helper station on the Frisco? Oh... and that the southbound ascent of Winding Stair Mountain had some stretches of 3% grade?

Sad note: The Frisco rails were removed from the Ouachita Mountains in the early 80's.

I love exploring the old rail towns. While its sad to realize the rails are gone there are often so many tell tale signs of what was there in better days and most likely the reason the town is even there. There are quite a few little towns out here in the country of Illinois that had rail service from the CB&Q, MIlwaukee Road, IC and CNW to name a few that have remnants to show. Lots of elevators with overgrown rights of way, bridge trestles over small creeks and streams and I have even found a few signal foundations with iron still attached out in the middle of no were. This is the summer I am going to knock on a few doors and see if I can snoop in the buildings at the elevators I have found.

Enjoy the 70's as its 35 and raining here....

#18 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Feb 19 2011, 10:27 PM) View Post
... Wife and I rode our Deuce to Talihina, OK, ate at one of our favorite dives, the Hateful Hussy Diner, an' then did some exploring in the Ouachita Mountains. It was 73 degrees!!!

Oh, you know how to wound a guy! What I wouldn't give for some HHD fare followed by a ride east into the Ouchitas right about now.

#19 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE(milepost56 @ Feb 20 2011, 1:55 PM) View Post

I love exploring the old rail towns ... Lots of elevators with overgrown rights of way, bridge trestles over small creeks and streams and I have even found a few signal foundations with iron still attached out in the middle of no were. This is the summer I am going to knock on a few doors and see if I can snoop in the buildings at the elevators I have found.

Excellent, sir! My kind of snooping.

#20 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

Hi Steve!

Good to see you back at the forums and sharing input.

We super enjoyed our Talihina excursion. The HHD puts out a MEAN Philly Beef n' Swiss Cheese sub. Sharon and I both ordered one and enjoyed it tremendously.

I actually created the markers needed via USAPhotomaps for the line all the way to Talihina. I then added the tiles and terrain to Poteau, including enough for the little Ft. Smith, Poteau, & Western. However, the markers are really starting to shift the further south I extend. I can figure out alignments IF I have notable topography to use as locating points. BUT... there's a fair amount of valley running once south of Poteau until the foothills are reached. THAT would make the marker shift tough to deal with. So, I'm sort of scrapping the idea of ever reaching Talihina.

Still, though, I enjoy poking around down at the actual area attempting to find railroad related things.