Photo

North Arkansas Equipment Pack problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 hminky

hminky

Mechanic

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

The stakes of the gondola don't line up with the stake pockets.

IPB Image

Love the route Andre, Open Rails has opened up MSTS for me.

Harold

#2 hminky

hminky

Mechanic

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:42 PM

Looking at the picture on the equipment page that appears how it comes:

IPB Image

Harold

#3 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

Well I'll be. This pack has been out how long and none of us have caught this? laugh.gif (Color me embarrassed! blush.gif )

Thanks for the heads up, Harold.

I'll check it out to make sure its not some weird anomoly upon installation, which I doubt would be. If your example proves to be the case, I'll do my best to contact Jon Davis and enquire about a corrected shape.

Gotta' love this "business".

BTW, thanks for the kind words on the little North Arkansas route. Man, I THINK I released that in 2004?? It may be a bit long in tooth by my current route building standards, but me thinks the activities alone make it well worth the price of admission!

Have fun!

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

BTW, Harold:

Great to see you're dabbling with V scale again. I've got to install Open Rails and give it a whirl. Seeing as I build stuff more than run recreationally, I haven't had a pressing desire to do so. Still, though, I need to give it a try.

BTW, I thought you were quite pleased with Railworks (Railsim?)?

#5 hminky

hminky

Mechanic

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

My problem with Railworks is getting equipment to work, never could. Couldn't get their Dem feature to work either. Looks pretty though but lacks old time equipment.

I always liked MSTS, but it always looked crappy in it's original incarnation. Open Rails brings the video up to date. MSTS with things like Activity Generator to make a working railroad far out way the "pretty" face of Railworks.

I mostly run Open Rails now.

Harold

#6 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

Understood on the desire for TOC19 V scale stuff nudging you to return to MSTS. That's probably one of the biggest reasons I am content to stay with MSTS. Like I said, though, I gotta' try Open Rails.

Have you seen some of my ongoing personal projects I have cooking? I'm having a ton of fun recreating some of my favorite TOC19 roads. I never was fast at route building, and now I'm slower than ever at it... but at least the fun has returned. Right now, I work on one of the following when I'm in the mood:

* The Colorado Midland: Ute Pass (ca 1893)

* The Coal Belt (here in my region of OK/AR, ca 1905-1908)

* The Colorado Central: Golden to Central City (ca 1884-1885)

Have fun!

#7 hminky

hminky

Mechanic

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:24 PM

Looking forward to your new routes, love the Ozark Northern also.

TOC19 stuff is where it is at.

Harold

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

By the way, Harold: You made me second guess myself! I went and double checked the gondolas in the Colorado Midland Equipment Pack! Fortunately, they're good to go!

#9 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

Okay fella's... heard from Jon regarding this. I should have known to NEVER second guess Jon! His research and models are simply the most historically accurate available, period. (Even if they contain a proto-lanced roadname on the side such as the Ozark Northern!)

ANYWAY... here is a direct copy/paste of his reply:

"Hi Andre:

I based this gondola on an 1894 Wabash prototype that had permanent stakes holding the gondola side, along with pockets for extra stakes that could be added for support with certain loads. See attached image. A bit unusual, but I guess my thinking at the time was mainly to have the StL&NA pack gondola be visibly different from the Colorado Midland example."

In addition to his text, he sent one of his resource photos, which is attached below.

SO.. there you have it and there you are. Good eyes Harold... but said extra stake pockets were based on a prototype after all!

Attached Files

#10 hminky

hminky

Mechanic

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

That is great. Even looks strange in the prototype.

Have that issue and never really looked at the plan, great job by Jon.

I just thought the model had garbled in translation.

Thanks

Harold