Photo

Echos of the Colorado Midland

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

Gang, check out this clip, shot this last Saturday on the RGSRY.

It features their No. 18, a modest consolidation, climbing La Veta Pass in Colorado. In at least two of the shots, the Johnson bar is in "the corner" and the throttle is wide open. Several colleagues from work - all nationally recognized experts in steam - rode behind No. 18 this past fall and commented that there is nothing in standard-gauge excursions to compare.

One might argue that some of the mainline operations out there trump No. 18. But for us turn of the last century geeks, there's nothing quite like a small engine slugging its heart out to conquer a pass at 15 mph.

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

WOW! Nice video!

Fella's... I have a feeling this is VERY similar to what the Colorado Midland would have sounded like in portions of Ute Pass as well as Eight Mile Canyon! That sound is enough to send goosebumps up the ol' back!

HOW can diesels compare to this type of dramatic sound and action? Lessee'... I was going to dabble with a diesel route, wasn't I? What was the name of that route... hmmm.... seemed to have forgot... biggrin.gif

Great find, Steve. Thanks for posting!

#3 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

devil.gif

#4 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

Neat stuff...even if steam isn't "my thing"...it was art more than craft. Unlike today's throttle jockies and modern power...which is all I am, just a throttle jockey. sad.gif

#5 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

Hi Zack!

Good to see you here. Agreed that it was an artform... really some amazing men railroaded "back then".

However, even as "throttle jockey's ", we still have a huge responsibility as well as defined skill sets needed to get them over the road without hurting crew members or tearing up stuff. cool.gif

Besides... this is what we always wanted to do... right? unsure.gif

#6 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:52 PM

All the same, Zack. Just a different kind of locomotive with a different kind of skills. After some time, you'd be muttering under your breath at it like your Dashes, Macs and Geeps - or do you also run Alcos on the A&M?

#7 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Jan 22 2011, 9:09 PM) View Post

Besides... this is what we always wanted to do... right? unsure.gif
Uh yeah, that's the ticket! Some days getting up at 0200 to go get on a train and it's 8F outside & snowing I wonder just exactly what in the world was I thinking blink.gif
QUOTE(S. Weaver @ Jan 23 2011, 6:33 PM) View Post

All the same, Zack. Just a different kind of locomotive with a different kind of skills. After some time, you'd be muttering under your breath at it like your Dashes, Macs and Geeps - or do you also run Alcos on the A&M?
The closest thing I run to an ALCo is GE's off the UP. I call myself a throttle jockey because with a DPU out back of a 7500' empty...you don't have to worry about stretching out the train before you start skinning 'em; once the DPU responds that it's loading & moving you can go. When you make a set, you'd better be ready to stop...because they're going to! And the air recovers almost as fast as a MSTS activity (literally). But I'll echo what Andre said in another thread about running 'em at speed...there's an adrenalin rush kind of feeling blasting through towns like Lee's Summit running 50 and in Notch 8. Some days I do miss the "adventures" of railroading on the SKOL (a Watco property in Tulsa & southern Kansas) , long trains run conventionally on questionable track structure and cantankerous power. And like most railroads they assigned just enough power to keep 'em moving...every hill was a challenge if you lost one of the junkers. dry.gif

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:46 PM

@ Zack:

I'm jealous, man!

Frankly, I work an "Old Head's" job. That is, after hiring out as a young man, and having bucked the extra board for umpteen years, burned the candles at both ends out on road jobs at all hours of the day/night... year in year out... THEN after a few decades when you FINALLY have enough senority to hold a yard job, you bid on it and sit home every night and play with your toys on the weekends while you finish your years to retirement!

That's basically what I have. It's really a great situation... BUT...

The trouble is I've still got a pocket full of candles I didn't get to burn. dry.gif

Ah well! Such is life.

#9 billmoyer

billmoyer

Fireman

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

You could always have them put on your birthday cake!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Sorry, the thought materialized and I couldn't get rid of it without using the keyboard!! devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif And, I'm older so I can do things like that. tongue.gif tongue.gif

Bill

#10 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Jan 26 2011, 6:27 PM) View Post

@ Zack:

I'm jealous, man!
I wouldn't be, this time of year it isn't a guarantee we're going to work every day. Since we use a contract crew hauler...when the weather gets crummy they tend to shut the vans down in the name of safety. Thus we start stacking trains up everywhere there's an open siding long enough to support one. So if I catch a trip tonight (2nd out on the board) I may not get to make a full trip of it...or worse; get stuck in KC unsure.gif . But when things to thaw out...Katy bar the door, the board is going to burn like crazy until we get the sidings emptied out. After the last 7" of snow two weeks ago the board burned for 2 days (made three trips in that time frame)...then it was dead because the UP wasn't able to deliver any loads to the south for 36 hours. Feast or famine...life on the extra board. wacko.gif